Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GPS antenna and SWI-Jack ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS antenna and SWI-Jack ?

Hey guys, I'm going to install a Clarion NX400 double din radio soon and I reading through the install guide and I was wondering where is the best place to mount the GPS antenna and if it has to face a certain direction. I was thinking about running it up the passenger side pillar and mounting it to the top corner of the wind shield.

And on the SWI-Jack, I was wondering where should the power for it come from. I wasn't sure if I should tie into the power for the radio or somewhere else. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted mine on top of my Alpine W203 head unit. The dash is plastic & vinyl, so it works fine.

I also put the SWI-Jack in there too, that way you have access to the stereo wires.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by p8ntballkid090
And on the SWI-Jack, I was wondering where should the power for it come from. I wasn't sure if I should tie into the power for the radio or somewhere else. Any help would be great. Thanks
I have the SWI-Jack for my flip out Alpine display. Definitely splice it into the power to the radio and just tuck the module back behind the head unit.

Instructions (in case you need them)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I mounted mine on top of my Alpine W203 head unit. The dash is plastic & vinyl, so it works fine.

I also put the SWI-Jack in there too, that way you have access to the stereo wires.
you mounted the GPS antenna inside the dash...?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fosnot
you mounted the GPS antenna inside the dash...?
Yes, I was going to run it up the A pillar, then I was thinking about mounting it on the trunk lid (I have a convertible) then I said screw it and threw it on top of the head unit, until I was going to have more time. It's been working fine for over a year.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You can put the GPS antenna under the dash pad on one of the two keyhole-shaped metal plates near the outer edges. This gives the antenna its magnetic mount and a decent ground plane for improved reception. The plastic dash pad doesn't affect reception at all but provides for a completely hidden installation. It is easy to route the cable up from the head unit so the whole installation can be done in about 15 minutes. In my car, I have the satellite radio antenna on the left and the GPS antenna on the right... the left side gets slightly more consistent reception because it is less likely to be blocked by roadside trees and other obstructions. If you are installing only a GPS antenna then the left side will be just a little better.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the help. Ill try putting it under the dash pad, that looks like a really good spot for it. Ill post pics of the install when I do it Im just waiting on the bezel.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can put the GPS antenna under the dash pad on one of the two keyhole-shaped metal plates near the outer edges. This gives the antenna its magnetic mount and a decent ground plane for improved reception. The plastic dash pad doesn't affect reception at all but provides for a completely hidden installation. It is easy to route the cable up from the head unit so the whole installation can be done in about 15 minutes. In my car, I have the satellite radio antenna on the left and the GPS antenna on the right... the left side gets slightly more consistent reception because it is less likely to be blocked by roadside trees and other obstructions. If you are installing only a GPS antenna then the left side will be just a little better.

How do you get that pad up?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's really quite simple and quick once you've done it before. Allow about 30 minutes to remove and replace it the first time. It takes only half that time once you're familiar with where the clips are located.

- Remove your t-tops.
- Remove the two screws at the top of the a-pillar trim on each side and pull off the trim. A gentle twisting motion will help release the clips holding it on.
- Gently pry up the upper dash pad. It is held in place by a combination of clips and squares of Velcro. Work carefully because the plastic tends to get brittle with age. Also use caution with the edges - they are very sharp (...he says as he types with only 9 fingers).

Replacement is the reverse of installation. There are a couple of locating pins on the dash pad that have to be lined up with the holes in the dash but once you have it lined up it just presses into place.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a pioneer avic-f700, i just left my gps antenna resting behind my head unit and it works fine. I don't think it makes much difference where you put it.

Last edited by mike171562; 05-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You're right - in most cases the GPS satellite signal is strong enough that antenna placement isn't critical. But for those who live in places where signal might get interruptions (in cities among tall buildings or even on the "canopy" roads in Florida) placing it on a metal surface for ground plane and with as little as possible above it will give the best reception.

"gps antennae"??? You have more than one antenna?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's really quite simple and quick once you've done it before. Allow about 30 minutes to remove and replace it the first time. It takes only half that time once you're familiar with where the clips are located.

- Remove your t-tops.
- Remove the two screws at the top of the a-pillar trim on each side and pull off the trim. A gentle twisting motion will help release the clips holding it on.
- Gently pry up the upper dash pad. It is held in place by a combination of clips and squares of Velcro. Work carefully because the plastic tends to get brittle with age. Also use caution with the edges - they are very sharp (...he says as he types with only 9 fingers).

Replacement is the reverse of installation. There are a couple of locating pins on the dash pad that have to be lined up with the holes in the dash but once you have it lined up it just presses into place.
Niiiiice, how about taking the headliner out?
Last question, I promsie
Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You want to remove the headliner? Or you want to know if it's more work to position the GPS antenna in the headliner?

Removing the headliner takes a bit of work but isn't necessary for a GPS antenna. You can remove the a-pillar trim from one side, run the antenna wire up under it, and just tuck the antenna inside the leading edge of the headliner without pulling the whole thing down. A little Velcro or 2-sided tape will keep it from sliding around. This location doesn't give you any ground plane and takes almost as long to complete (you have to remove the a-pillar trim anyway and you also have to remove the passenger side knee panel and kick panel to route the antenna wire from the HU to the a-pillar).
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You want to remove the headliner? Or you want to know if it's more work to position the GPS antenna in the headliner?

Removing the headliner takes a bit of work but isn't necessary for a GPS antenna. You can remove the a-pillar trim from one side, run the antenna wire up under it, and just tuck the antenna inside the leading edge of the headliner without pulling the whole thing down. A little Velcro or 2-sided tape will keep it from sliding around. This location doesn't give you any ground plane and takes almost as long to complete (you have to remove the a-pillar trim anyway and you also have to remove the passenger side knee panel and kick panel to route the antenna wire from the HU to the a-pillar).
Actually I just wanted to replace that, since I'm gunna be tearing most of my interior out to put down some dynamat (or alternative) with the sound system I'm gunna order... whenever I save up that much . But my headliner's edges are torn to hell... typical wear and tear I guess?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

1. Remove the t-tops.
2. Open the hatch.
3. Remove the sun visors.
4. Remove the dome lamp housing.
5. Remove the a-pillar trim panels.
6. Remove the cargo area side trim panels.
7. Loosen the seat belt escutcheons.
8. Slide the seat belt downward.
9. Remove the push-in retainers from the headliner panel.
10. Pull on the headliner panel in order to remove the panel from the roof panel.
11. Slide the seat belt through the seat belt slots.
12. Remove the headliner panel from the car through the hatch opening.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Remove the t-tops.
2. Open the hatch.
3. Remove the sun visors.
4. Remove the dome lamp housing.
5. Remove the a-pillar trim panels.
6. Remove the cargo area side trim panels.
7. Loosen the seat belt escutcheons.
8. Slide the seat belt downward.
9. Remove the push-in retainers from the headliner panel.
10. Pull on the headliner panel in order to remove the panel from the roof panel.
11. Slide the seat belt through the seat belt slots.
12. Remove the headliner panel from the car through the hatch opening.
Pro. Thanks much! and sorry for the thread hijack man
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Teching In

hey guys so I got my trim piece finally and got my radio installed and everything is hooked up. The only problem I ran into is I got a little confused with the SWI-Jack. My question is what cable do I hook the SWI-Jack too. I know the green wire from the SWI-Jack goes to something Im just not sure what and where it is. and here are some pics of the install.

Last edited by p8ntballkid090; 06-28-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The green wire connects to the dark blue wire in the factory harness (not the harness adapter) at pin 14 of the white connector. There are two dark blue wires in that connector - you want the one that has blank spaces on either side not the one that's between a yellow and a light blue wire.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Teching In

ok cool thanks for the help

Quick Reply: GPS antenna and SWI-Jack ?