Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

An Easier Way to Delete Auto Headlight Featured Also...To Have Control Over It

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Easier Way to Delete Auto Headlight Featured Also...To Have Control Over It

I was looking for this and someone sent it to me and i read the way to do it and it was too much...Heres how i did it on 2001 Camaro SS..

Easily pry up the top of the dash where the Defrost vent is...When you lift it up you will see a red and black connector...The red is the alarm LED and the black is the Light Sensor...You can twist the Light Sensor and pull it down...Theres two wires..Yellow w/black stripe and Green w/black stripe.

1st Way - To defeat the Auto Headlight Feature..You can either use a scotchlock or get a small piece of thin wire (12 or 18 gauge) strip both ends and jump the wires on the back of the connector...that tells the Light Sensor there is always daylight.

2nd Way - 1st + Control Over It...(MUST DO 1ST WAY FIRST)...As said above..Theres two wires..Yellow w/black stripe and Green w/black stripe...I used the Yellow w/Black Stripe...Cut it but leave enough to strip both wires...Now you have a Yellow w/Black Stripe coming from the Dash and a Yellow w/Black Stripe coming from the Light Sensor...Your gonna have to run 2 wires from the Light Sensor to a Switch...Get some 12 or 18 gauge wire attach the Yellow w/Black Stripe coming from the Dash to one of Your 12 or 18 gauge wires..Run that wire to the Load of your Switch...Then get the other piece of 12 or 18 gauge wire and run that from the Supply of your Switch back to the Yellow w/Black Stripe attached to the Light Sensor...Then Ground you Switch...Secure all your wires..Black Tape, Soder..however way you do it...

NOTE - Did not give a specific place to put the switch because its your car and you put it where you want and figure out how and where to run wires!!

When you finish the 1st Way..come night..you will notice your headlights will not turn on and you can only turn the Headlights on with the Headlight switch

When you finish the 2nd Way..come night..you will notice if you have your NEW switch off and turn the car on the headlights will not come one...If you have your NEW switch on and turn the car on the Auto headlight Feature will do its job

Heres the cool part...Say its starting to get dark enough for headlights...while your car is on or your driving...flick your NEW switch on and you'll notice in like 10 seconds or a little more that you headlights will turn on...which means the Auto Headlight Feature is doing its job....Lets say while your driving around you go to chill with a couple buddies in a parking lot and you wanna chill with your DRLs/Parking Lamps w/Fog Lights on without draining your battery...all you have to do is flick your NEW switch off and in like 10 or more seconds your headlights will shut off.

Even with all this your main Headlight switch can still turn the headlights on NO MATTER WHAT!!

In short words...you've added a switch to the Light Sensor whether to tell it "yes" or "no"

Also if you think about it....you've also added an auto switch like most cars today come with!!

Hope this is a huge help to people trying to do this...i know theres alot here but it is VERY easy and simple...Let me know if i missed something..this is my first write-up!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1; 06-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Nicely written.

Not to rain on your parade but your writeup duplicates the information in the Auto Headlight Defeat sticky that was posted in an earlier thread where you asked about bypassing the automatic headlight feature (except the sticky includes a photo).
Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

i know but if you read how to get to it...it doesnt make sense..it says something about taking the t-tops off...why would you need the t-tops off to get something under the dash??

Plus...some how the switch thing backfired on me...the night i did it..it worked great...next day it wasnt working right at all....im just gonna get rid of the auto headlights
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Reason for taking the t-tops off is so you can loosen the A-pillars to make lifting the dash pad 1000x easier
Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1
i know but if you read how to get to it...it doesnt make sense..it says something about taking the t-tops off...why would you need the t-tops off to get something under the dash??
As SaprkyJJO said, it is necessary to remove the t-tops so that you can remove the two screws holding the a-pillar trim so that you can remove the trim because it holds down both ends of the dash panel. Especially on cars as old as ours, trying to pry up the center of the dash panel without releasing the ends is likely to result in broken plastic.

Originally Posted by 2001-CamaroSS-LS1
Plus...some how the switch thing backfired on me...the night i did it..it worked great...next day it wasnt working right at all....im just gonna get rid of the auto headlights
That's because your switch configuration is wrong. The sensor wiring is a closed circuit - routing one side to ground won't work properly. The correct way is to splice a wire into each of the two sensor wires (without cutting the sensor wires) and run the two new wires to your switch. When the switch is ON, it will short the two sensor wires together (same as the scotchlock would have done) making the system think it's bright daylight and disabling the automatic headlights. When the switch is OFF, the automatic headlights will work as normal. In either case, the factory headlight switch still provides manual control.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for all the corrections...if you cant tell by now..i need some help with this....my switch has a ground, load, and supply.....where do i put the yellow and green wires coming from the sensor on the switch??
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

You know what I'd do with the switch is wire it in parallel with the sensor. No power or ground feeds to the switch at all. Then, when the switch is on, it acts like you have put that jumper in the place of the sensor and disables auto headlights. When off, it lets the sensor work.

I just jumpered mine and left it that way. I personally didn't see a need to have the auto lights at all myself.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

sounds good...im actually gonna try that...i like havin the switch because when it is night time...i like the headlights coming on and off themselves.....i really wish they had what my 4runner has...in that..i always have the parking lights on and when i shut the truck off, as soon as i open the door the parking lights go out and also when the headlights are on when i shut the truck off and then go off after some time....they should make that for us
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

You give me ideas of designing something like that. Putting my electronic engineering degree to use.

Not sure how big of a market there would be for that kind of thing, however.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

id be your first buyer
Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You must have a lighted switch. It's designed to divert a small amount of power through the switch bulb (or LED) to ground to light the switch when it is on. That won't work properly in this case but you can still use the switch without it lighting up. Just connect a wire from one of the sensor wires to the supply terminal and the wire from the other sensor wire to the load terminal. This is the parallel connection that SparkyJJO mentioned. In the ON position the switch will act just like a jumper across the two sensor wires. In the OFF position the switch isn't part of the circuit so the sensor goes back to normal function.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

so you're sayin just tap into the wires...dont cut them?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Right. If you cut them, well, the sensor wouldn't be connected anymore, and....
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

got ya...you both are great! thanks soo much
Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

is there a fuse you can pull instead of doing all that?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by BlackTXmagic
is there a fuse you can pull instead of doing all that?
No, the shorting of the sensor wires is the simplest way to disable automatic headlights without unwanted side effects.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the shorting of the sensor wires is the simplest way to disable automatic headlights without unwanted side effects.
Cool deal, thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

You can also pull the headunit and go in from there. Easier than taking panels off.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by cbailey
You can also pull the headunit and go in from there. Easier than taking panels off.
Yes. In fact, if you want to go that way, you can short the two sensor wires at the DRL module rather than reaching up under the dash panel. The DRL module is the small black box (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) mounted to the defroster duct behind the head unit. The sensor wires are the light green with black and yellow with black wires right next to each other in the blue connector at one end of the module.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes. In fact, if you want to go that way, you can short the two sensor wires at the DRL module rather than reaching up under the dash panel. The DRL module is the small black box (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) mounted to the defroster duct behind the head unit. The sensor wires are the light green with black and yellow with black wires right next to each other in the blue connector at one end of the module.
This is how I disabled mine, probably in the other write up. I just dropped some solder across the A and B Terminal of the C2 Connector (the small one) after I pulled the board out of the case. Works perfectly on both cars.

Quick Reply: An Easier Way to Delete Auto Headlight Featured Also...To Have Control Over It