Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can't find 2ohms replacement speakers for Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't find 2ohms replacement speakers for Monsoon

I don't like the loss of volume going to 4 ohms. Even a little bit.

Any recomendations for 2 ohm replacement speakers for firebird monsoon door speakers? Thank you for any info!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put in 4 ohm. Can't tell the diff except that they are WAY better.

Send a PM to Ian from Kee Audio.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex L.
I don't like the loss of volume going to 4 ohms. Even a little bit.

Any recomendations for 2 ohm replacement speakers for firebird monsoon door speakers? Thank you for any info!
http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html

Standard package...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Using a quality 4-ohm speaker will not cause any loss of volume. Going from 2-ohm to 4-ohm would normally cause a 3dB drop in output volume... noticeable but not particularly significant - the equivalent of one click on the volume ****. However, good aftermarket speakers are generally at least 3dB more efficient (sensitive) compared to the stock speakers so there ends up being no loss (with some speakers there is even a small gain).
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's say I got infinity 2ohm speakers will they work well with the factory monsoon amp and head unit in my 99 TA?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Let's say I got infinity 2ohm speakers will they work well with the factory monsoon amp and head unit in my 99 TA?
The 2ohm Infinity's are more quiet then the 4ohm CDT's...lol. They lack midbass and the highs are shrill and tinny. That's typical of Infinity speakers for the most part though. Your missing the point. If your buying a speaker just because it's 2ohm then your not going the right direction. There are more variables then that when it comes to speakers.
If your stuck on 2ohm then I do have some JBL components that might work for you that perform well. Not like the CDT's but they do the trick. They are priced at $139.00 shipped to the lower 48 states. I know they outperform the Infinity's anyway.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Infinity

You want to go with CDT. I can't stand infinity speakers! LOUD highs and very little middle and no bass at all. You won't be disappointed with Kee at all!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So Keeaudio's replacement set up will work well with the stock monsoon headunit and amp? Thanks for your help guys, I am not much for sound systems I am more motor and suspension. But both my subs in the sail panels are blown and it sounds like crap right now so I need replacments.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in the Premium Package. How many speakers come with that? All of them? My car is a t-top.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mook99ta
So Keeaudio's replacement set up will work well with the stock monsoon headunit and amp? Thanks for your help guys, I am not much for sound systems I am more motor and suspension. But both my subs in the sail panels are blown and it sounds like crap right now so I need replacments.
From what I understand...

The standard package is made to work with the stock monsoon system. The premium package it is suggested to have an aftermarket amp. Both will sound better with an aftermarket head unit.

I am the same as you.. After talking with a veteran tech member with sound systems I decided to go with the standard package. If I am not 100% satisfied with that I will be replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket unit.
Originally Posted by SS/CETA
I'm interested in the Premium Package. How many speakers come with that? All of them? My car is a t-top.
From me understanding it is strongly recommended to have an aftermarket amp for the premium package, which requires rewiring and what not.
I want to "plug and play", therefore I am going standard. That is all 6 speakers with that kit.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

The basic system is what you want. I have the Bazooka subs, but if Kee doesn't have them in stock, you can either get the Audiopipe or Audiodrift subs and they will work fine. The basic system is about as plug-and-play as it gets with the stock monsoon.

If your hatch speakers are OK, I would suggest leaving them in and connected. It won't be a perfect 1:1 match in sound intensity between the front and hatch, but that is easily remedied by turning the fade control slightly to the front to even things out. To remove the stock hatch speakers, you need to drill out some rivets in those panels which looks like a PITA. The main reason I still use the factory hatch speakers is because I don't want to drill out rivets and they help to fill out the sound. I just set my fade control on my Alpine to front-1 or front-2 to even the levels.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
The 2ohm Infinity's are more quiet then the 4ohm CDT's...lol. They lack midbass and the highs are shrill and tinny. That's typical of Infinity speakers for the most part though. Your missing the point. If your buying a speaker just because it's 2ohm then your not going the right direction. There are more variables then that when it comes to speakers.
If your stuck on 2ohm then I do have some JBL components that might work for you that perform well. Not like the CDT's but they do the trick. They are priced at $139.00 shipped to the lower 48 states. I know they outperform the Infinity's anyway.
I think I will stick with your standard package you guys at Kee seem to know what you are doing. Have you ever donated any packages to Soliders deployed in Afghanistan? I would be more than happy to write a review and promote your products down in Savannah when I return home.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kee still has bazooka subs in stock. I just ordered some. Don't wanna spend the money on the front door speakers though as this car is mostly driven to the racetrack and back and rarely at that.. Just got a 20$ ebay stock replacement speaker for the front door.

Stock speakers are made flimsy but they sound pretty good compared to lots of the cheap replacements on amazon or ebay which is annoying.

Last edited by Alex L.; 06-27-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12

From me understanding it is strongly recommended to have an aftermarket amp for the premium package, which requires rewiring and what not.
I want to "plug and play", therefore I am going standard. That is all 6 speakers with that kit.
I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just install the CDT front speakers in my 2000 convertible . . . let me just say, I am very IMPRESSED! . . . A very nice speaker set up for the price. . . . the rears will hopefully go in this week.

I was very concerned adding 4 ohm speakers, but my fears were all "blown" away . . . thanks to Ian at Kee Audio!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Kee Audio, is the convertible package you offer made to be used with the Monsoon system? I have a 1998 convertible with the monsoon stereo and am in the process of trying to upgrade the factory speakers.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

See my Sig! Gotta love them CDT's from Kee.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasoncway
Kee Audio, is the convertible package you offer made to be used with the Monsoon system? I have a 1998 convertible with the monsoon stereo and am in the process of trying to upgrade the factory speakers.
Yes it can. I installed the standard CDT convertible package while running on the existing stock HU, amp and wires.

Sounds great.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS/CETA
It comes with all the speakers to replace everything in the car. Doors, sails, and rear hatch.
That being said, with your car being a Firebird, I'd still consider the Bazooka subs with that package because of the fact that your sails are DVC. You will get the most from a DVC in the sails with the stock amp. If you plan on replacing everything and running an aftermarket amp then the premium as is will suit your needs.
The CDT sail panel woofers in the premium are excellent but not optimal with the stock system in a Firebird. In the Camaro they work better because of being SVC.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I just install the CDT front speakers in my 2000 convertible . . . let me just say, I am very IMPRESSED! . . . A very nice speaker set up for the price. . . . the rears will hopefully go in this week.

I was very concerned adding 4 ohm speakers, but my fears were all "blown" away . . . thanks to Ian at Kee Audio!
Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Can't find 2ohms replacement speakers for Monsoon