Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GPS/Speed monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS/Speed monitoring

Hey so my parents are installing a gps/ speed monitor in my car. They said I have to install it if I want to keep living where I am. Does anyone know ways to bypass the speed monitoring.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In his defense, he has no accidents or tickets, so it's not an issue of something that's happened. It really blindsided both of us (I'm his best friend, and live with him) This will mean we'll have to take my Bird places now. The GPS is Mobile Teen GPS, mobileteengps.com and it's pretty stupid. I'm not sure where this thing hooks up, but if it's not hard, we can put it in a different car or something. Hmmm, not sure
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

save $1,000 buy yourself a beater truck, install it on that, and drive it a few times a week
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

he lives with his mom, they are on another forum, and i talk to sniper regularly. the mom would know.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigred01
Hey so my parents are installing a gps/ speed monitor in my car. They said I have to install it if I want to keep living where I am. Does anyone know ways to bypass the speed monitoring.
If you don't like what your parents are doing, refuse all of their help, support yourself, buy your own car with money you earned and you can do anything you want free of their monitoring. Otherwise you're just a whining kid who wants to be given things with no strings.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ohh.. i was thinking your out in college ville and mommy/daddy wanted to keep a few strings on you since they paying your education... if your still at home, not much you can do without them finding out..
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From the installation manual, It looks like It can be unplugged easily.

Edit: This kit does actually notify the person monitoring that it has been disconnected from power or if gps signal is unavailable.

IMO I 'd say drive with it so you earn your parents trust by driving decently and hopefully they take it off by themselves.

I personally share my location via Google latitude with few close friends and parents for personal safety, even though I am 25. So its a way of looking at the whole situation differently instead of seeing it as ankle tracker on you.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 07-27-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mkelcy
If you don't like what your parents are doing, refuse all of their help, support yourself, buy your own car with money you earned and you can do anything you want free of their monitoring. Otherwise you're just a whining kid who wants to be given things with no strings.
See I was waiting for a retarded answer like that. if you're not gonna offer decent advice, gtfo. It is his car, he pays the insurance and the gas, the maintenance and anything else on it. You don't know him or me, so just get out.

Thanks for the other advice though guys, we also noticed it will alert if it's disconnected. Looks like he'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with it *shrugs*
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Im guessing the car is paid off? or are they paying the note on it? And yeah biting the bullet for a few month of ear perfect driving, then asking for a compromise may be in order..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move out and pay all your own bills = problem solved. If not then stop whining and live with it. I fully support parents that want to place these devices in their kids cars and too many stupid teenagers race and get into accidents that injure other innocent bystanders.

After being 16 myself once, and knowing how stupid we all can be, I actually think Texas should raise the driving age to 18 at minimum.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
See I was waiting for a retarded answer like that. if you're not gonna offer decent advice, gtfo. It is his car, he pays the insurance and the gas, the maintenance and anything else on it. You don't know him or me, so just get out.

Thanks for the other advice though guys, we also noticed it will alert if it's disconnected. Looks like he'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with it *shrugs*
And I was waiting for further whining from the "oh my parents who house me, feed me and clothe me, who I expect to pay for my college education and who have given me a car that I insure, fuel and maintain" are being mean to me crowd.

Apparently (from post 2), the parents are also providing you with a place to stay and presumably feeding you, and you return their generosity by trying to help their son deceive them. With friends like you, I'm not surprised the parents feel the need to monitor their son.

Again, if you don't like the monitor, don't drive the car; if you don't like the rules of the house move out and support yourselves.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

And I was waiting for further whining from the "oh my parents who house me, feed me and clothe me, who I expect to pay for my college education and who have given me a car that I insure, fuel and maintain" are being mean to me crowd.

Apparently (from post 2), the parents are also providing you with a place to stay and presumably feeding you, and you return their generosity by trying to help their son deceive them. With friends like you, I'm not surprised the parents feel the need to monitor their son.

Again, if you don't like the monitor, don't drive the car; if you don't like the rules of the house move out and support yourselves.
Yes they are, because I've taken their son in many times and I pull my own weight around here. I pay for my share of what I do, I feed myself, and they provide me with a place to sleep when needed and a shower when needed. Again, you are showing you know absolutely nothing about the situation or our lives, and if you're not going to help, then leave.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Yes they are, because I've taken their son in many times and I pull my own weight around here. I pay for my share of what I do, I feed myself, and they provide me with a place to sleep when needed and a shower when needed. Again, you are showing you know absolutely nothing about the situation or our lives, and if you're not going to help, then leave.
But with all that, you still think it's fine to try to deceive them on monitoring their son's driving. Funny way to repay their kindness to you.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

But with all that, you still think it's fine to try to deceive them on monitoring their son's driving. Funny way to repay their kindness to you.
Again, you have no idea. Go to the library, check out the book about me and my life, read it and come back THEN you can try to argue. I'm not going to go into my personal life about this, but from what has happened in the past, it's the least that could be done. I never posted this thread, I just came in to support a friend who asked me to. Why do you even keep coming in here anyways?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Will your folks kick you out if you break the law? better yet buy a VW bus and start smoking weed. then when they get pissed about that tell them to remove the GPS....

Hey, i'm all about following the rules when i lived at home but driving my car was my escape. Is the GPS to monitor speed or location?
soulutions: speed less offten. street race in tunnels. don't go where you aren't supposed to.

You are right about "us" other forum members about not knowing you or your friends. but we did give you some advice wether you wanted to hear or not. Also its a forum so take everything with a grain of salt, but remember that some the guys floating around here have seen their teenage years come and go and now have kids older than you. Just parents being parents if you asked me. Sucks becuase they didn't have the technology when i was a teen to keep an eye on me.

my $0.02 take it for what its worth. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It makes no difference who you are, how responsible you think you are, or how much you think you are contributing financially... you're living under their roof so you follow their rules. If you don't like the rules then get your own place. If that doesn't sound practical then maybe you're not as responsible or contributing as much financially as you think.

What did you expect when posting a thread like this? You think members (many of whom are certainly old enough to be your father) are just going to endorse that kind of deception? You expect they won't comment? If so, you really have a lot of growing up to do.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

No I knew EXACTLY how this was going to be, which I why I told him not to even make this thread, and which is why I only came in to back him up to try to slim down the number of 'whiny kid' comments etc. I could care less about the GPS personally, it's not in my car and its not my problem, so I don't see why people keep talking to ME about it. I've been on forums long enough to know how most people are going to react and I knew this thread was going to turn out this way. This thread is going nowhere and basically dead and I just don't get why people are still commenting on it I'll just stop responding and let it die quietly...