Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Give me some battery suggestions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me some battery suggestions..

I'm in need of a new battery for my truck and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions/feedback on a good battery. The truck still has the stock AC delco one now and it's on the fritz.

I have a fairly moderate sound system and I would like to make sure I have the power available without lights my lights dimming or alternator overworking to keep a charge.

So far I've looked into optima but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.. Anyone???
Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Optima Yellow top or (if you want a killer battery...) a Red top

I have a yellow top in my TA, with only 700w total, and I can have that going at 50% volume + dome light on with the engine off for a long time and still have it fire up without faltering...
They are a bit more expensive than 'regular' batteries you'd find at autozone or wherever you shop though.

Last edited by Fosnot; 08-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

The Optima’s are good batteries the problem is when they moved their manufacturing too Mexico (I think) they started having some quality control issues so just make sure you get the warranty.....I think it comes with a one year free replacement

My first one died on me but the second one is still going strong and I have had it almost 2 years now.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the Optima Red top. Put one in my car and she sits quite a bit. That sucker fires right up with out missing a beat and not being on a maintainer.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the Optima Yellow Top, it's a great battery and you won't be disappointed. I bought one back in 2004 and it just stopped working a few months ago. It's totally maintenance free, never needed a jump (even though I have left my dome light on by accident overnight on a few occasions). It lasted me 6 years and I replaced it with another.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

screw optima, i went through 2 yellow tops and 2 red tops in one year. i got a full refund and bought a duralast gold (which has a 7 year warranty) and i leave my system on for 3-4 hours at a time while im detailing the car and its never given me any problems
Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'd use a Walmart battery before I'd put an Optima anything in it.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

DieHard Platinum
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

As far as im concerned an acid battery is a acid battery. Get one with the rating good enough for your needs and be done with it. Ive known people that have tried the optima batteries that were not happy with them. Go for the better warranty if its worth the cost to you. A 7 year warranty is just as likely to fail as a 3-5 year, they normally only charge more for the warranty itself.

I had a bad battery in my car for about 2 years without replacing it, only time it would die is if I used power with the car off or when it overheated and the fans would run after turned off. I just got a generic no name battery and its been fine for 6+ months.

Cost wise the duralast I put in my iroc was pretty cheap for the cca rating it has.

Unless your truck sits for long periods without use I dont advise the gel cell batteries such as optima, extra cost and a lot of people manage to get one that is bad.

This is sort of like asking what oil to use, your going to get diff answers. Just have to read all of them and decide for yourself. Since your running a system it wouldnt be a bad idea to step up the ratings, it wont hurt anything as the vehicle is only going to use what it needs. It doesnt hurt to have extra amps if you need them at some point. I think the battery in my iroc is rated at 800cca or more which is well above what itd use but it was the same price. You just never want to put a battery in the car rated under stock, can cause problems then.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I ended up going with the yellow top optima. comes with a 3 year warranty so that helps me sit easy. So far it's been good. The lights still dim slightly at full power so I'll be looking into the big "3" mod and see if that solves it.