Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring up new deck to stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring up new deck to stock speakers?

Now I know that there are only 4 speaker wires on an aftermarket deck... so most of you don't wire up the 6.5" subs in the back seats but rather the fronts and the 6x9's in the hatch...... now, since I have sub control on my deck, I was wondering if it would be possible to wire the front speakers and the 6x9's all on the "front speaker" wires connected to the deck? and then wire the 6.5" subs to the "rear speaker" wires on the deck. Then I could have sub control.

Has any one done this?
Would this work?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure. I think unless you totally rewire your entire system, even with an aftermarket deck, all the speakers are still wired in an controlled by the stock monsoon amp, which for whatever reason won't let you use the back seat speakers with a different deck. I would assume it would be possible, but probably a PITA. Probably just be worth buying new speakers if you were gonna go through all that trouble.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

the rear speakers arent 6x9's they are 4" with seperate tweeters, and also I wouldnt run 4 speakers off 2 channels on the deck, you'll kill the amp. Deck amps are weak.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Teching In

i just installed my new headunit in my 99 WS6 and if you buy the wiring harness for the car it gets all the speakers to work on the car....I am going a little further and snipping the rear wires and rerunning them to the ones by the back seat cause i have a full set of JL compnents to put in and i want them to run off just my headunit wires....but if you want to run almost everything off just the fron speaker wires your going to have to rewire the whole car and also your going to loose power because instead of sending pwer to 2 speakers its sending it to 4 ..also sub controll only works off of the audio wires(the red and white ones) its a totally different system..just from what ive learned about doing all my own stereos.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

So basically there is not advantage to putting in an aftermarket deck then? I was running 10 speakers off this deck in my other car prior and it worked fine. I think I'm going to go ahead with my original plan. It should work.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryan Boechler
So basically there is not advantage to putting in an aftermarket deck then? I was running 10 speakers off this deck in my other car prior and it worked fine. I think I'm going to go ahead with my original plan. It should work.
theres no doubt it will work, but it will sound like crap. First off the Sub control on your deck operates the sub pre-amp outputs, not the rear channels. Secondly, if you ran teh deck to the monsoon amp you were not running 10 speakers. I hate how companies describe it as a 10 speaker system... its not. They are counting the 4 component tweeters as seperate speakers, which technically they are but you cant run 10 fullrange speakers off of a 4 channel headunit, both reliably, and sound quality wise.

The subs from the monsoon amp have more power going to them than your deck will put out. I wouldnt botehr running the rear subs off your headunit, besides the fact if you have the factory subs they wont work with your head unit. The installatoion of an aftermarket deck is VERY VERY simple and requires no cutting of wires... Just get the aftermarket harness, wire it to the deck, and plug it in (you need an antenna adaptor too). The factory amp will still run, all your speakers will play etc. If you want to go further, cut off the far rear speakers (you dont need em) run some new full range speakers in the front and sail panels off the deck (new wires and all) and run an amp and a sub in the back.

No Offense your wiring idea will not only sound bad, it will very likely damage the head units amp and the subs will be massively underpowered (if you figure out how to hook em up, and if you do it wrong those will be cooked or cook your head unit too). Head units are mant to have each channel wired to ONE speaker, if you want to start bridging, running components, etc, get something that will handle it like an external amp.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for clearing some things up...... FIRST I thought by installing an aftermarket head unit, I would lose the use of the stock subs. But by what you are saying is that I won't. You are saying that ALL of the speakers will still work with the installation of an aftermarket head unit?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright thanks for clearing some things up...... FIRST I thought by installing an aftermarket head unit, I would lose the use of the stock subs. But by what you are saying is that I won't. You are saying that ALL of the speakers will still work with the installation of an aftermarket head unit?
yep they will all work as long as you use the installation harness available for the car. They are still going to be powered by the Monsoon amp, with the 4 tweeters running off the deck.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Where is the Monsoon amp locted in the car???
Old 02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked 99 WS6
Where is the Monsoon amp locted in the car???
pull your spare tire. if youre in the trunk facing the spare its bolted to a plastic plate on the left, you'll see the back of it and the harness.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

So when you say "harness" you are meaning just a regular wiring harness that you pick up from a local car audio store?
Old 02-29-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

So when you say "harness" you are meaning just a regular wiring harness that you pick up from a local car audio store?
Yes.. You don wanna hack up the factory harness in the car, so you get a plug and play one. Just make sure you get the correct one for the monsoon stereo and youre set!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Well then looks like I'm set...... Thanks much for the help Rogue Leader.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Teching In

If i rerun my own wires from the new headunit i have directly to the aftermarket speakers or amp that should work to right???
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked 99 WS6
If i rerun my own wires from the new headunit i have directly to the aftermarket speakers or amp that should work to right???
absolutely. IMO I would use the install harness and just bypass hooking up the speaker wires on it, and just run the speaker wires straight to the new speakers... This will cut out the monsoon amp but you wont have to cut your factory wiring.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Exactly theres no cutting involved at all...i used a harness to connect my alpine to my GM but i just won't connect the speaker wires from the alpine harness i will run new wires off that and right into my JL speakers at the doors and in the back...and i will just tape off the wires fro the speakers on the GM harness so its like there not even there...No cutting involved pretty simple except for all the wiring in the car...lol

Last edited by Wicked 99 WS6; 03-02-2004 at 12:20 AM.