Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing bulbs on steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing bulbs on steering wheel controls

Hello everybody. I ran a search but did not come up with much info for replacing the bulbs for the steering wheel controls on my '99 Trans Am. I have a few questions:

1. What do I have to remove to get access to the bulbs?
2. Do I have to remove the air-bag? (really would like to avoid that!)
3. Do I plug the bulbs in or solder them?
4. If I have to solder, would I be better off installing LEDs? (if so, part # please for red LEDs)

The controls work just fine, they just don't light up.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Launching!

There was a write up on this a few years ago... As I recall the controls can be pulled out of the wheel. I think they can be unplugged and removed, it's pretty tight quarters in there though.

I bought replacement bulbs from Radio Shack that the original thread poster listed. The part # is 272-1154 12V 50mA Bi-Pin Lamp (I know this because they've been sitting on my bench for a couple years ) The bulbs need to be soldered to the circuit board of the control, just desolder the existing bulb, install the new. I bought two so I'm going to assume there's one bulb per side. ...Been a few years since I looked at this stuff...

Hope that gets you in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mikey is right, you can remove the buttons without taking the airbag out. Just use a flat head and pry the buttons straight out, the wire is short though, so you will just need to hold it and slide a flat head screwdriver behind to push the tab to release the catch.
The case on the radio control will open in half and the you just de-solder the old bulb and solder the new one in.
Replacing the control is alittle more tricky, but easy to replace.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are 2 links in the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

The 1st link now appears to be broken, but the 2nd link still works and has pictures.

If you want to use an LED instead of a bulb, just get a 3mm LED in the color you want and the correct resistor for that LED. Since the LED already emits the desired color, you no longer need the colored sock that was on the stock incandescent bulbs.

I usually use this LED calculator to determine which resistor I need:
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Just enter the power requirements of the LED and the power output of the car (12-14v) and it will tell you the resistor you need.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna give it a shot.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The process will go a LOT easier if you remove the horn cover.

1. First remove the airbag fuse.
2. There are 2 hex screws that hold the horn cover on. They are on the backside of the steering wheel. Sometimes you have to start car and move steering wheel to get access.
3. After two screws are out simply pull off horn cover.
4. You'll then see the wires that connect to the steering wheel controls. They tuck them out of the way that limits the distance you can pull out the controls.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
The process will go a LOT easier if you remove the horn cover.

1. First remove the airbag fuse.
2. There are 2 hex screws that hold the horn cover on. They are on the backside of the steering wheel. Sometimes you have to start car and move steering wheel to get access.
3. After two screws are out simply pull off horn cover.
4. You'll then see the wires that connect to the steering wheel controls. They tuck them out of the way that limits the distance you can pull out the controls.
+1

Pulling the air bag on these cars is the simplest work that can be done aside from putting gas in the tank. It's really not a big deal. Pulling the air bag makes working with the controls so much easier.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Hello

Do you remember where to wire the resistor? DO I need one resister for each side or just one total? Thanks

Jared

Originally Posted by VIP1
There are 2 links in the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

The 1st link now appears to be broken, but the 2nd link still works and has pictures.

If you want to use an LED instead of a bulb, just get a 3mm LED in the color you want and the correct resistor for that LED. Since the LED already emits the desired color, you no longer need the colored sock that was on the stock incandescent bulbs.

I usually use this LED calculator to determine which resistor I need:
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Just enter the power requirements of the LED and the power output of the car (12-14v) and it will tell you the resistor you need.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

One Resister Per LED (on the Positive Leg) since each LED is wired to its own Pos/Neg terminals.

Quick Reply: Changing bulbs on steering wheel controls