Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo help for fbodys

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo help for fbodys

hello I have an 02 ws6 that has the stock Monsoon headunit. My question is simple, would it be better to use the stock monsoon head unit or an aftermarket headunit that has 50watts? basicly which head unit has more watts? how much watts does the monsson have thanks and god bless
Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 camaro with monsoon from what I've read the amps are 200 or 250 RMS
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure why you're so concerned about wattage on the HU. Regardless of what the Monsoon HU is rated for, it will distort more than virtually any aftermarket HU at higher volume levels.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get an aftermarket HU, I wish I would have done that YEARS ago. I upgraded speakers/amps first. It was an improvement but sound was still not up to full potential until I finally cracked and got a single DIN HU. Did I mention that I really wish I changed the HU YEARS ago?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you want to use power from an aftermarket deck your going to need a new set of components for the front and an amp to run your stock "subs", or just add a new one. I like the Alpine MRP-F300 ($200 retail, $125 is a good deal) for a budget amp and they still are nice sounding amps...you would end up using 2 channels for each sub and the other 2 for the fronts and just deck power for the rears

bypassing your factory amp will improve SQ and volume if done right without a doubt
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Launching!

well I already have an After Market HU, so you think I should just wire the speakers from the HU directly ?? bypassing the stock amp all together ??
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Heck I got better sound quality than stock with a simple head unit driving a set of simple aftermarket speakers directly (bypassed monsoon amp entirely). I had simple 2 way 6.5" coax Pioneers in the front doors, some 6x8 Pioneers from my old car shoehorned in the hatch, threw some 6.5" mini subs I had lying around in the sail panels, and hooked up a basic MTX 200W amp to them. Sounded so much better than the Monsoon, especially since it was half dead already. Pretty sad that a half scrape parts audio system had more punch and clarity

I plan on having something a little nicer in my new Camaro. I have a little more money to play with (yay for a real job) so I'll be doing things right next time around.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Heck I got better sound quality than stock with a simple head unit driving a set of simple aftermarket speakers directly (bypassed monsoon amp entirely). I had simple 2 way 6.5" coax Pioneers in the front doors, some 6x8 Pioneers from my old car shoehorned in the hatch, threw some 6.5" mini subs I had lying around in the sail panels, and hooked up a basic MTX 200W amp to them. Sounded so much better than the Monsoon, especially since it was half dead already. Pretty sad that a half scrape parts audio system had more punch and clarity

I plan on having something a little nicer in my new Camaro. I have a little more money to play with (yay for a real job) so I'll be doing things right next time around.
ok well I think I'm going to take my ken wood over the monsoon then, I'll just rip it off and on the same place install a new one
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by emenny81
well I already have an After Market HU, so you think I should just wire the speakers from the HU directly ?? bypassing the stock amp all together ??
only if your looking to add an amp for the subs, and if you get a 4 channel you could put your front speakers on a real amp too.

the internal amp in a deck is very similar to what would be in a stock "premium audio" amp like monsoon and bose and even in super high end factory systems like B&O. they use the same method and technology as a deck. for aftermarket speakers the deck power would probly be better than the stock amp solely because of the resistance (ohms) that the stock amp requires, but the best way to power speakers is with a real amp.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
only if your looking to add an amp for the subs, and if you get a 4 channel you could put your front speakers on a real amp too.

the internal amp in a deck is very similar to what would be in a stock "premium audio" amp like monsoon and bose and even in super high end factory systems like B&O. they use the same method and technology as a deck. for aftermarket speakers the deck power would probly be better than the stock amp solely because of the resistance (ohms) that the stock amp requires, but the best way to power speakers is with a real amp.
the speakers I was looking at are the infinity kappa 63 which they claim are 2ohm, but I was just thinking of just running a 5 channel but I want something small that I can hide at the same location where the stock one is.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

the speakers I was looking at are the infinity kappa 63 which they claim are 2ohm, but I was just thinking of just running a 5 channel but I want something small that I can hide at the same location where the stock one is.
if your gonna get big subs then yea get a 5 channel, but if your just gonna use the stock subs or replace them with other 6.5s than a 4 channel is all you need, deck power is more than adequate for rear speakers. if your going to get a deck with time alignment and use a real amp for the fronts, i wouldn't even waist my money on rear speakers, i build $15k systems without rear speakers all the time
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want to use power from an aftermarket deck your going to need a new set of components for the front and an amp to run your stock "subs", or just add a new one.
What? I disagree completely. An aftermarket HU is a simple installation with a nice improvement in sound quality, and works seamlessly with the stock gear.

If you have a Pontiac (or Chevy) monsoon system, you don't need to rewire anything to drive the tweeters in the same way the OEM HU does it.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Launching!

if your gonna get big subs then yea get a 5 channel, but if your just gonna use the stock subs or replace them with other 6.5s than a 4 channel is all you need, deck power is more than adequate for rear speakers. if your going to get a deck with time alignment and use a real amp for the fronts, i wouldn't even waist my money on rear speakers, i build $15k systems without rear speakers all the time
when you refer to the subs you probably mean the rear seats subs, I was planning on using coaxial speakers here and install a 10' inch sub on the driver side opening.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

It is almost never a good idea to bypass the Monsoon amp and run off the head unit alone. The conversation here has made some very good points but kind of bypassed (pun intended) the original question.

First of all, your HU does not produce 50 watts RMS - probably 50 watts peak with between 14 and 22 watts RMS. So the Monsoon amp will give you more power than the HU alone.

As several have suggested, the best results will come from replacing everything. That includes adding your own aftermarket amp to go along with a new HU and speakers.

However, if you want to keep costs down, replacing the HU and speakers but keeping the Monsoon amp and wiring will give you the best bang for the buck. The Monsoon amp is not particularly powerful but it's more than HU alone and it produces clean sound when given a clean signal. It has some odd speaker requirements (especially the sail panel subs) but there are speaker packages available that match the original setup with much better sound.

The only exception to HU only versus HU with Monsoon amp is if you insist on using speakers that don't match the factory configuration. For example, installing four full-range coaxial speakers in the doors and sail panels won't work with a stock Monsoon setup. But why anybody would want to do that is beyond me.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The only exception to HU only versus HU with Monsoon amp is if you insist on using speakers that don't match the factory configuration. For example, installing four full-range coaxial speakers in the doors and sail panels won't work with a stock Monsoon setup. But why anybody would want to do that is beyond me.
Thanks for all your input I was just throwing things out there to save on costs, install just 4 speakers total save versus purchasing 6 -

I know that you're probably refering to the keeaudio packages, I emailed him already so that I can plance an order, at this point I want to keep it as simple as possible and it seems like getting a package running it off the monsoon and getting a small digital amp for a 10inch woofer in the back is the best way to go .
Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

There is a way you can run full-range speakers all around without losing the Monsoon amp. It's not ideal because of the way it uses the amp's channels and most audiophiles will tell you it's not good to have full-range speakers behind you... but it does work.

What you do is disconnect the hatch area speakers and pull the signal wires from there forward to the sail panels. Those wires (the single pair in a Camaro or the pair from the 4" mids in a Firebird) carry full-range signal that can run something like 6.5" coaxials in the sail panels. In the doors you can either run coaxials off the mid wiring and leave the tweeter wiring disconnected or some coaxial speakers can be modified to make them work like components. This configuration will give up considerable bass compared to the factory setup so you may want to consider adding a sub in the back to compensate.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Reason I bypassed my monsoon amp and ran the 4 speakers off the HU directly was I got tired of the muddy sound from having coax speakers up front but having only the midrange signal going to them. Plus my speakers I had were 4 ohm, head unit was 4 ohm, and the monsoon was a 2 ohm amp.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

if you want to use power from an aftermarket deck your going to need a new set of components for the front and an amp to run your stock "subs", or just add a new one. I like the Alpine MRP-F300 ($200 retail, $125 is a good deal) for a budget amp and they still are nice sounding amps...you would end up using 2 channels for each sub and the other 2 for the fronts and just deck power for the rears

bypassing your factory amp will improve SQ and volume if done right without a doubt
nice specs on that amp, I was looking at just not using the monsoon and using a pdx5(wow they are still expensive).

I will most likely just do that replace all speakers and add a 5 channel amp, so I just have to find the cheapest best bang for buck way to do that
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 1st gen PDX-5 is total crap. There's a new PDX-v9 coming out that has the same power as the JL HD900/5 and costs the same as the old PDX-5 (100x4 + 500x1, $699.99 retail) and that would sound way better...if that's more than your looking for do the MRX-V50 which has the same power as the PDX-5 and costs almost half. 5 channels are good for conserving space and adding simplicity, but you usually get more for the same money with 2 separate amps...except that new PDX-v9 seems to be quite a good value
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Launching!

The 1st gen PDX-5 is total crap. There's a new PDX-v9 coming out that has the same power as the JL HD900/5 and costs the same as the old PDX-5 (100x4 + 500x1, $699.99 retail) and that would sound way better...if that's more than your looking for do the MRX-V50 which has the same power as the PDX-5 and costs almost half. 5 channels are good for conserving space and adding simplicity, but you usually get more for the same money with 2 separate amps...except that new PDX-v9 seems to be quite a good value
you probably meant the mrx-v60, the v50 is a mono

do you guys still recommend using the kee audio speakers, is there anything else retail that I can buy that will sound good, any of the kappa series ?