Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Install question

Hey guys I am installing a JVC KD A725 head unit and a SWI JACK in the trans am. There are two wiring harnesses that plug into the stock radio but 1 for the new unit. I have the adapter harness wired. Is the second stock harness not used? Also, I can't seem to find much info on the SWI JACK install. Do I simply connect the ground and ignition to the harness along with the steering wheel control (blue/yellow)? There are still (From the swi-jack connector) Orange, yellow, blue, white ,and green which aren't connected to anything. Last question, do I need a antenna adapter? I would appreciate you stereo gurus' insight.

Install question-d8pzgl.jpg
Heres my wiring mock up. Wiring harness adapter has all corresponding wires matching (on the right). Swi jack has ground (black), ignition (red) and stereo controls (blue yellow). Extra wire bundle and green coming off the Swi jack.

Install question-cmydvl.jpg
Heres the new unit rear with the one connector (which the harness plugs into w/ adapter)

Install question-5jbvil.jpg
The old stereo with the 2 connectors. One which I have the adapter for into the new unit and the other I have no idea what to do with.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the other connector is for the cd changer. even if you dont have the cd changer installed, the wire is ran.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
the other connector is for the cd changer. even if you dont have the cd changer installed, the wire is ran.
Thanks that makes sense. it was plugged into the back which is why I was confused.

Any thoughts on the swijack install anyone?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea just go on PACs web site and find the vehicle specific instructions. The install is sorta a pain, you have to get to the BCM and grab the steering wheel controls before in goes into the BCM on most cars. your only going to end up using 1 other wire besides ignition, power, and ground, which wire depends on the vehicle.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Honestly, and this is strictly my opinion, but I'd send the PAC SWI back & get an Axxess unit instead. I got one on amazon for a little over $40 with free shipping and just installed it. It was night & day easier then the PAC SWI, and the Axxess programs itself unlike the PAC.

I'm sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear...I faced the same situation a couple weeks ago and I just had to quit with the PAC SWI because I just couldn't figure it out. Call me lazy, I know.

Last edited by lionel_luthor; 04-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

At this point, I'm determined to get this thing going! I read in another thread and the instructions that it is the green from the swijack to either "dark blue,light green, or violet/black" off the harness adapter. I only have a blue but then my JVC instructions say dark blue is for auto antenna. Also, I will have the ground/ignition wires from both the harness and the swijack connected? In other words 3 grounds (black) (from wiring harness and adapter and swijack) will have to be spliced and 3 ignitions (red)?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

There is no steering wheel remote control wire in standard harness adapters. You will have to patch into the factory harness. It's the dark blue wire in position 14 of the white radio connector. The blue wire in the adapter harness is for power antenna. All of this is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

You can also crimp and push a new pin into Pin 14's position in your wiring harness adapter.

I did this rather than splicing the factory harness. I cannibalized an unused pin from another old wiring harness I had.

Also, I second the sentiment to just go with the Axxess ASWC. Its worth it if only so that you won't have to change it later if you go with another head unit brand.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no steering wheel remote control wire in standard harness adapters. You will have to patch into the factory harness. It's the dark blue wire in position 14 of the white radio connector. The blue wire in the adapter harness is for power antenna. All of this is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
I read through the stickies just trying to ensure I do this right. They don't really answer my question.

Basically, I need to get a new pin/wire and put it in #14 and then splice that to the green wire from the SWI. Everything else will correspond from the harness adapter, including the auto antenna. Makes sense

EDIT: Thanks for the tips guys I think I got it figured out.

Last edited by beyonddisturbed; 04-24-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
You can also crimp and push a new pin into Pin 14's position in your wiring harness adapter.

I did this rather than splicing the factory harness. I cannibalized an unused pin from another old wiring harness I had.

Also, I second the sentiment to just go with the Axxess ASWC. Its worth it if only so that you won't have to change it later if you go with another head unit brand.
I know this thread is a few months old but I am not a fan of splicing into my factory wiring harness. You wouldn't happen to have any extra pins lying around or maybe point me in a direction to find some?

-John
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Just buy yourself another adapter harness ($10) and pull one of the wires/pins out of that.

Quick Reply: Install question