Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio Alive???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kee Audio Alive???

I have emailed and called with message. I get no answers or replies. Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to whether or not this fellow is still in business. I need replacement speakers for a Monsoon stereo system. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Back in May calling did nothing for me. He finally replied with an email. He wasnt quick but he should get back to you. I know hes a busy guy who does the audio stuff as a hobby/side gig..
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian is alive and well! He goes to work (his boring job) when most of us sleep, and can't talk on the phone when at work. He sneaks some emails in where he can, so that is the best bet to reach him. He checks LS1Tech when he as some time, but he has a family as well. Not making excuses for the guy, but the audio business is a sideline for him. I don't know of anyone who knows our cars better, or is better at putting together components for us that sound great at competitive prices. He did my system and even my 17 year old thinks its awesome. He will respond, and get you a great system designed for your car and sound preference, but don't look for a quick response as he just can't operate like a retailer yet. Everyone I have seen has been happy with their results from Kee.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the info guys. I have read his threads with interest, and seems this is the guy to help with our vehicles. I am new and was unaware that the audio business was a sideline. I'll be patient.

Thanks a million for your time and comments!

Dennis
Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

There is no reason anyone should ever have to wait for someone who claims to be running a business to get back with you. I'm sure Ian is a good guy and knows his stuff about car audio and I can appreciate him trying to make some cash on the side but dang you have to get back to people. I am a self employed business man also and I know first hand if you don't return people's phone calls they just go somewhere else. I had the same experience with Ian about two months ago was ready to pull the trigger on a complete stereo system and I called him five times and left detailed messages on what I wanted and also left e-mails and after two weeks and no response I went looking at different avenues and ran across DoubleD's website and called up Dennis and with in 15min had everything figured out and ordered and it showed up at my door two days later. That's the kind of service you should get when your dropping $2000, you shouldn't have to chase the guy down and sit around and wait for him to get back to you at his covienence. If he wants to do this on the side as a hobby fine, just tell people that up front on your website instead of leaving them hanging.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Glad you got what you wanted. Ian has hundreds of satisfied customers and will continue to make more. Having met him in person, I can say he has a lot on his plate, more than many of us, but his heart is certainly in the right place. If someone needs the system tomorrow, he is not your guy, but if you want the perfect fit and sound, and can have the perspective that this is a sound system rather than brakes, most will be pleased. Granted, setting the proper expectation is a key to happy customers and he could benefit himself from doing a better job there.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same boat. Email and PM, no answer yet. I will probably buy locally since I am getting antsy.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Interesting, he used to post here fairly often I thought. A coworker ordered from him a couple years ago with no problems and liked his speaker package. Always heard good things about Kee.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM

I am in the same boat as well, we keep doing the occasional e-mail back and forth, but I haven't been able to place an order for my sail panel speaker/sub's. I was told he has a rough schedule, and I understand that and am being as patient as I can.

I hear that he has the best sub/speakers custom (by CDT) made for our F-body's and they're are direct drop in. I would love to get a set in my car (the right sail sub' is vibrating like crazy) soon. Crutchfield sold me a set of speakers for the vehicle that would've fit, but after looking at the spec's when I got them, would've sounded like garbage, distorted and probably would've blown the first chance they got.

Its nice to know that someone is trying to look out for us Fourth Gen'ers still. Hopefully, I will hear back from him soon and get the subs in my car lickety-split.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I think it's funny how people wait around on this guy like he has the last few speakers left for our cars. DoubleDMods and thousands of other company's have exactly what you need and you don't have to play his games, just call, order, and it shows up at your door. FWIW those subs sound like crap in the sail panels anyways, don't waste your money.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I have the bazooka subs in my sails, bought them from Double D last year. They sound ok, but it's not enough for me personally so I'm going to add the MTX sub box soon. Have no clue about the cdt.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DSPDave
I think it's funny how people wait around on this guy like he has the last few speakers left for our cars. DoubleDMods and thousands of other company's have exactly what you need and you don't have to play his games, just call, order, and it shows up at your door. FWIW those subs sound like crap in the sail panels anyways, don't waste your money.
Who the hell are you? How would you know if those subs sound like crap if you've never even had them before? Maybe you need to go back and re-read Raleigh TA's post again a few times, and let it sink in.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

How do you know that I haven't had those subs? I have had them and also tried other brands and the small 6.5" subs do sound like crap. You get a much cleaner and better sound by putting component speakers in the sail panels and just adding a sub in the back. If you just want to upgrade the stock monsoon system then they are alright, just not enough improvement to spend the money on IMO. And I did read Raleigh T/A's post and respect what he has to say and also like I said before I respect what Ian is trying to do, I just think he is going about it the wrong way. Don't put a phone# on your website if you are not going to answer it and explain your situation to people so they know what to expect. It's not like I'm the only one that feels this way, this is the third thread started asking if this guy is still in business and there are numerous posts asking whats going on with him.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you know that I haven't had those subs? I have had them and also tried other brands and the small 6.5" subs do sound like crap. You get a much cleaner and better sound by putting component speakers in the sail panels and just adding a sub in the back. If you just want to upgrade the stock monsoon system then they are alright, just not enough improvement to spend the money on IMO. And I did read Raleigh T/A's post and respect what he has to say and also like I said before I respect what Ian is trying to do, I just think he is going about it the wrong way. Don't put a phone# on your website if you are not going to answer it and explain your situation to people so they know what to expect. It's not like I'm the only one that feels this way, this is the third thread started asking if this guy is still in business and there are numerous posts asking whats going on with him.
Well, you have a (several) fair point(s) I will give you that. You have my attention then. If you had to choose a speaker for the subs, and one for the doors, what would you have gone with then?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Hybrid audio Clarus for the doors and Hybrid audio Mirus for the sail panels. One 10" sub in a stealth box in the rear produces an incredible amount of bass compared to the small subs in the sail panels. This setup sounds REALLY GOOD for any type of music.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Hybrid audio Clarus for the doors and Hybrid audio Mirus for the sail panels. One 10" sub in a stealth box in the rear produces an incredible amount of bass compared to the small subs in the sail panels. This setup sounds REALLY GOOD for any type of music.
I can only speak for myself on this issue. I am primarily looking for sub/speakers for the sail panel that will be better quality than the factory ones in both sound and durability. I'm not a huge audiophile that can hear a pin drop (actually my tinnitus from an explosion while I was in the military kinda killed that). The guys on LS1.com swear by the CDT's Kee sells, especially since they don't have to be modified to fit. I also have the factory cd changer in the back, where most people put the 10" sub and don't want to lose that (although, I would love to craft a hinged door there so I can have a storage compartment like I did in my '89 T/A). I don't see that sort of set up you described working for me.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Somebody should clarify that a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish with an upgrade.

If you want a simple upgrade to the Monsoon system with better speakers but without replacing the factory amp and wiring then the packages from Kee Audio and Double D Mods are great options. They're not audiophile upgrades but they sound much better than stock.

I would question the opinion of someone who calls them crap but then turns around and recommends full-range components mounted behind the listener (in the sail panels)... not exactly audiophile stuff either. Generally, you want only low frequencies coming from behind except for some rear fill (which is why the hatch speakers are only 4" for rear fill). You don't want full-size, full-range speakers behind you unless you really liked the sound of 60s cars with 6x9s in the parcel shelf.

In the middle of the road area, you can take the same packages and add a stealthbox sub with its own amp to get a significant improvement in bass.

Beyond that, you can ditch the Monsoon system entirely with speakers and an aftermarket amp. The limit here is basically how much you want to spend. You can build a modest system without spending a huge amount or you can build a competition system if you are so inclined.

In every case, the first thing to replace for any sort of real sound quality improvement is the factory head unit. Even without changing speakers you will notice a big improvement in sound quality (and your speakers will last longer due to less distortion). Changing speakers without changing HU is okay if you just want to fix blown speakers and are satisfied with factory quality sound.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Glad you got what you wanted. Ian has hundreds of satisfied customers and will continue to make more. Having met him in person, I can say he has a lot on his plate, more than many of us, but his heart is certainly in the right place. If someone needs the system tomorrow, he is not your guy, but if you want the perfect fit and sound, and can have the perspective that this is a sound system rather than brakes, most will be pleased. Granted, setting the proper expectation is a key to happy customers and he could benefit himself from doing a better job there.
We all got a lot on our plate these days - what's that got to do with anything?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Somebody should clarify that a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish with an upgrade.

If you want a simple upgrade to the Monsoon system with better speakers but without replacing the factory amp and wiring then the packages from Kee Audio and Double D Mods are great options. They're not audiophile upgrades but they sound much better than stock.

I would question the opinion of someone who calls them crap but then turns around and recommends full-range components mounted behind the listener (in the sail panels)... not exactly audiophile stuff either. Generally, you want only low frequencies coming from behind except for some rear fill (which is why the hatch speakers are only 4" for rear fill). You don't want full-size, full-range speakers behind you unless you really liked the sound of 60s cars with 6x9s in the parcel shelf.

In the middle of the road area, you can take the same packages and add a stealthbox sub with its own amp to get a significant improvement in bass.

Beyond that, you can ditch the Monsoon system entirely with speakers and an aftermarket amp. The limit here is basically how much you want to spend. You can build a modest system without spending a huge amount or you can build a competition system if you are so inclined.

In every case, the first thing to replace for any sort of real sound quality improvement is the factory head unit. Even without changing speakers you will notice a big improvement in sound quality (and your speakers will last longer due to less distortion). Changing speakers without changing HU is okay if you just want to fix blown speakers and are satisfied with factory quality sound.
Agreed 100% except for the part where you bash me.. I made a mistake and said component when I meant to say coaxial. The Hybrid Audio Mirus are a midrange coaxial speaker. Sorry for the mistake WhiteBird00 I'll just leave all the questions asked on here for you to answer and stop trying to contribute to the forum.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Component / coaxial... no real difference, they're both full-range speakers mounted behind the listener. Using the Monsoon wiring with its bass-only signal to the sail panels will make them sound bad or using your own wiring (with an aftermarket amp or direct to the HU) ruins the front sound stage.

No need to get your panties in a wad. Just be sure you have your facts straight when you call something "crap" if you don't want someone to call you out on it.

Quick Reply: Kee Audio Alive???