Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans Am Hatch Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am Hatch Speaker question

I had a company do a stereo install for me and most of the sound, especially the vocals come out of the back hatch speakers while only a little come out of the door speakers, leaving sail speakers just for bass.

Question is, is this set up wrong? I have read the hatch speakers should only be for fill and most of the sound should come from the doors. If its wrong what do I need to do to fix this? Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

What was done? If speakers were replaced, what kind of speakers did they install? Did they mess with the Monsoon amp or wiring?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What was done? If speakers were replaced, what kind of speakers did they install? Did they mess with the Monsoon amp or wiring?
I had a Pioneer HU installed along with these speakers in the door and sail slots.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-doc28Lz...ml#details-tab

I don't know exactly what they did but I am guessing they did something wrong as those speakers they sold me for the sail panels do no belong there and I am in the process of buying new sub speakers. All the audio seems to be coming from the same area it always has, which still could be wrong as I got the car used. All I know is the majority of the audio comes from hatch speakers.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your car a firebird or camaro?

If the door speakers sound kind of tinny, it's possible that they used the leads from the tweeters to drive the new 2-ways. The tweeters on a Pontiac have a little inline HPF that will make a full range speaker lose all it's bass and midrange.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, those speakers aren't right for either the doors or the sail panels. They would suck in the sail panels but if wired correctly they should at least work in the doors. Your car came with components in the doors and I suspect they connected those coaxial speakers using the tweeter wires instead of the mid wires so you're getting only unamplified high frequency signal to them (the factory tweeters run off the head unit rather than the Monsoon amp).
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

So is that why the hatch speakers are pushing out most of the vocals? Also what would be better door speakers?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Could be... the hatch mids are amplified so combined with having only high frequency, low power signal from the doors, it could seem like all the sound was coming from the back.

Those speakers aren't ideal but they should work in the doors if properly wired. They will never sound as good as a proper set of components but they shouldn't be overpowered by little 4" speakers in the back either.

The surprising thing is that almost any 6.5" component set will work better there so why didn't the audio shop suggest them. It should be obvious to even the most inexperienced installer that they aren't coaxial speakers because the tweeters are mounted six inches away in their own pod.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Probably because the place wasn't as good as it appeared to be. It seemed like a legit establishment but in reality I think they were just out for the money and didn't care to do things the proper way. I am basically out 2 sets of speakers and install fee which is around $300 I'm guessing. Last question, at this point I am trying to save money anyway I can. How hard would it be to install these subs in the sail slots to replace the kickers, if I can use the existing wiring I can do it myself. Otherwise I will need to take it someplace else. Thanks for all the help btw!

http://shop.doubledmods.com/WF6415DV...-bazooka65.htm
Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dyson350
Probably because the place wasn't as good as it appeared to be. It seemed like a legit establishment but in reality I think they were just out for the money and didn't care to do things the proper way. I am basically out 2 sets of speakers and install fee which is around $300 I'm guessing. Last question, at this point I am trying to save money anyway I can. How hard would it be to install these subs in the sail slots to replace the kickers, if I can use the existing wiring I can do it myself. Otherwise I will need to take it someplace else. Thanks for all the help btw!

http://shop.doubledmods.com/WF6415DV...-bazooka65.htm
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html

You won't need to "rewire" anything, maybe just crimp on some spade connectors instead of the factory plug terminal.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Hatch Speaker question