Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front turn signals

My car keeps blowing my front blinker sockets and bulbs. I just replaced the turn signal switch because I thought that might be the problem, but it turns out thats not it. A day or 2 after I put the new sockets and bulbs in they blow out. The right side still blinks like it is supposed to. This is driving me crazy! I dont know what the problem is and it is making me hate my car. Anyone know what it might be?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

well for me the plastic light housing right above the bulb was cracked/melted and water was getting in and cold water on hot bulb = boom.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a wire arcing onto something, I'd start by taking out the headlight and checking to see if the wires are corroded or if it could possible be the socket. Then using a test light trace the wire back the the light relay. Because it isn't both lights, I'd be inclined to say it's isolated to just the wiring for the one head light.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't spend time checking the headlights and their wiring when you have a problem with the turn signals - but that's just me.

I think Daniel is probably on the right track but I'm curious what you mean by blowing sockets? New bulbs will blow if they get hit by water while hot (DRLs functioning) but that would have no affect on the sockets. Longer term exposure to water will cause corrosion in the sockets but I don't think that's the case here because you replaced the sockets recently.

I also don't think it's a wiring problem (arcing or otherwise) because that would blow fuses rather than bulbs.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Well the sockets aren't necessarily blowing but I replaced them once or twice since they looked so bad and I had to get bulbs anyway. I have been fighting this problem for a long time with no luck. The running lights used to be really bright all the time and it was causing bulbs to get to hot and blow. But since I put the new switch in it took care of that problem, but it still blew a bulb the day after I fixed it all. It's just frustrating.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Personally, I wouldn't spend time checking the headlights and their wiring when you have a problem with the turn signals - but that's just me.
Good catch, I said headlight and thought blinker. Lot's of work and no play makes me unattentive. Could he possibly have a defective socket or a warped socket creating a seat for condensation and loose water?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-03-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Certainly it's is possible that there could be something wrong with the socket although it would be unlikely to make the bulb burn out. For example, a distorted socket could cause the bulb to lose connection with the contact pins making it go out but it would come back on if you wiggled the bulb so that it made contact again.

The front sockets are badly positioned at the lowest point in the housing pointing up so they will collect any water that gets into the housing (condensation or leaks) and cause corrosion. I've seen those sockets get so badly corroded that they just crumble in your hands.

It might be worthwhile for the OP to pick up some dielectric grease and use it liberally in the sockets to see if that helps. You can usually find it in little 99 cent packets at the checkout counter of auto parts stores like AutoZone or Pep Boys.

Also, check the lens on the housing for cracks - that's a common place for water to get in. The lenses get really hot from the DRLs and then a splash of water will make them crack.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Okay guys well I just jacked it up and pulled the light socket out and water went everywhere! It was like a drain plug haha that's the first time it's been like that. So now I guess I gotta buy a new light housing?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oh1ws6
Okay guys well I just jacked it up and pulled the light socket out and water went everywhere! It was like a drain plug haha that's the first time it's been like that. So now I guess I gotta buy a new light housing?
you could try pulling the housings out of the bumper, find the cracks and patch them with high temp silicone.

Here is how my firebird (not trans am) housing where cracked, this was the one that blew twice in 6 months. I got some amber ones that where listed for 00-02 sunfires , just to be different, but they where a perfect fit for the 98+ firebird/formula front bumper (see second pic).
Attached Thumbnails Front turn signals-2012-10-04-01.10.11.jpg   Front turn signals-2012-09-29_18-11-37_131.jpg  

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 10-04-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Just a link in case you haven't purchased new housings yet. These are the ones I bought.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Front turn signals