Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Clarion or Pioneer Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Clarion or Pioneer Help me decide!

I cant decide between the Pioneer DEH X9500 BHS and the Clarion cz 702. They both go for around 147-169 on ebay. I have an attachment to Clarion as I had a Clarion in my old 86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. But I heard that the Pioneer has almost perfect sound! They both have basically the same features, just cant decide between the two? Any suggestions?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i always go Pioneer, Alpine for single DIN's. For doubles i LOVE the kenwoods
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenwood, this is right in your price range: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-KDC-X997-AM-FM-CD-Bluetooth-HD-Radio-USB-Car-Stereo-Receiver-KDCX997-RB-/201035250019?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item2ecea27963
Old 02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kenwoods are great HU's
Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a rule I say Pioneer, I just haven't had any experience with Clarion in like 15 years to know where there quality stands. Plus I know all the little tricks for tuning a Pioneer and don't wanna try to figure it out on a new brand. Kenwoods are a good option if you find one of the ones that has SEPARATE HI/LO pass filters for the front and rear channels (not counting the sub out LPF) this allows for better fine tuning.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can also recommend Kenwood as another possible choice (probably because I have one in my Formula -- KDC-BT952HD, which is almost like the KDC-X997 but is last year's model). Awesome sound quality, but may be cumbersome with so many audio controls (which could also be a benefit since you can dial in the perfect sound). You can even choose the correct illumination color to perfectly match the dash. Bluetooth is excellent!

But if it was between just those two units you specified in your first post, I'd lean toward Pioneer. Though I do have a Clarion VX400 in my truck and no real issues so far, just wish the Bluetooth was better (especially Bluetooth audio).
Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to be a rebel and go with the clarion. It has 19rmsx4 going to the stock bose speakers instead of 14rms in the pioneer. "I don't plan on getting a amplifier or new speakers yet" It also has the usb port in the front instead of the back like the pioneer, "I plan on hooking up my ipod to it a lot." with the clarion you don't have to open up the face to put a cd in either. Just seems simpler to use for my needs. I am hoping it has good sound and no hiss like the pioneers supposably have!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got to agree with the guys double din in the kenwood have kenwood 6990 hd and love it. I had the clarion autopc about 10 years ago it was ok gave me prombles sometimes so I wanted to go kenwood
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The difference in power output between the two brands is not a good reason to choose one over the other in your particular case. That's because you're keeping the Bose speakers. Those speakers have individual amplifiers attached so you need an adapter like the OEM-1 to step down the signal for the amps.

So starting with a higher power head unit does not give you more output (the Bose amps are the limiting factor) but it makes your volume control more touchy - each click makes more of a difference than if you started with a lower powered head unit.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can I find the OEM-1 adapter to cut out the bose amps? And does it cut out the amps completely so the head unit is in total control? I seen the adapter to fit the cd player into the car at walmart but not the bose adapter?

I chose the clarion because it has the usb port in the front and it is simpler to use. Also because I am partial to clarion. The 19rms to each speaker was nice but it wasn't the deciding factor. I will let you guys know what I think of it once I get it installed next week!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Clarion NZ503 and I love it. The OS may not be as fancy as other 'name brands' but audio quality is excellent and it has more features than you will ever need.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the Bose speakers a different impedance than most aftermarket stuff? I tried this route when I was upgrading my system, and even though they say Bose, they were still cheaply made OE style speakers, and distorted easily.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Where can I find the OEM-1 adapter to cut out the bose amps? And does it cut out the amps completely so the head unit is in total control? I seen the adapter to fit the cd player into the car at walmart but not the bose adapter?

I chose the clarion because it has the usb port in the front and it is simpler to use. Also because I am partial to clarion. The 19rms to each speaker was nice but it wasn't the deciding factor. I will let you guys know what I think of it once I get it installed next week!
The OEM-1 adapter does not cut out the amps - it adapts the output signal from the aftermarket head unit so that the Bose amps can use it.

The Camaro Bose system uses a special head unit that outputs low voltage, high impedance signal (similar to that used for headphones) to the Bose amps attached to the individual speakers. The wiring is unique in that it carries power for the amp and uses common speaker ground rather than the normal floating ground used by almost all aftermarket systems. The speakers are 1-ohm impedance and each is matched to its own amp for signal shaping. You can't eliminate the Bose amps and use just the speakers because your Clarion isn't a 1-ohm stable head unit (in fact, I don't know anyone who makes a 1-ohm stable head unit). If you don't want the Bose amp/speaker combinations, you have to replace with new speakers and rewire because the factory wiring is not good for aftermarket systems.

Quick Reply: Clarion or Pioneer Help me decide!