Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can aux port be added instead of cd changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can aux port be added instead of cd changer

Hi. I want to add an aux port so I can listen to my iPod. All firebirds and camaros come pre-wired for rear cd changer (mansoon equipped cars). Is thre something I can buy to plug into the rear wires. I want an aux port but don't want to remove the factory radio.
My car is a 2000 ta convertible.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Gee, this question hasn't been asked (more than a thousand times) before. There might even be some mention of it in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

Short answer... there are a few different adapters available to make use of the CD Changer port for auxiliary input.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Launching!

I looked at all the stickies. My trans am didn't come with factory cd changer but the wire to connect it are there. Can I buy an adapter to connect to the wires in the trunk and have a port for my I pod. I don't know anything about electricity so the adapter needs to be plug and play (if such a thing exists)

Thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are a few different adapters. One such adapter is the GM9-AUX.

You don't need the stock CD-Changer. What you need is a stock headunit that is capable of controlling the stock CD-Changer (depends on year and type). The adapter gets plugged into the back of the headunit, not the CD-Changer wire in the trunk.

Luckily, your 2000 model will work.

The adapter will plug into the CD-Changer port on the back of the headunit. If you get a simpler adapter like the GM9-AUX, it just provides female L/R RCA ports. You'll need to also get a RCA stereo male to 1/8" stereo phono male cable to be able to plug in your ipod. To switch to the the AUX input, just push the CD/Play button on the headunit. That will switch between the CD in the headunit and the AUX input (ipod in your case). This simple adapter won't control the ipod. However, I think there is a newer adapter that does. Maybe the iSimple. I don't know. There are some older threads on here about that.

If you search through threads on here, you'll find this information and see at least one or two other adapters discussed.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-06-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

As VIP1 has pointed out, the available adapters plug into the back of the head unit in place of the unused CD changer cable and not at the other end of the cable in the hatch area. Besides, it would be rather inconvenient to have to open your hatch every time you want to connect or disconnect your device, or in the case of the plain auxiliary input adapters, even change tracks or playlists.

Please let me know if the Monsoon FAQ was unclear on this so I can modify it if necessary.

Originally Posted by Monsoon FAQ
Adding an auxiliary input for satellite radio, MP3 player, or iPod

Adding an auxiliary input to the factory system involves using an adapter that only works on certain models. Auxiliary adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit will only work with head units that are capable of controlling the optional CD changer. Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies. All cassette head units were capable of controlling the factory changer. Only late '99 and newer models of single CD head units had this ability. There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit so you're best to go with 2000 or newer.
In summary:
97-02 Cassette head units support CD changer and auxiliary adapters
00-02 CD head units support CD changer and auxiliary adapters
Some 99 CD head units support CD changer and auxiliary adapters

If you really want to take your 99 CD head unit apart to see if it supports a changer, look for the markings on the CD player circuit board. Code E-8276-1 does not support a changer, code E-8276A-1 does support a changer.

Changer isn't supported

Changer is supported

Auxiliary input adapters are made by PIE (Peripheral Interface Electronics), PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) and USA Spec. The PAC adapters require a factory changer to work even though you can't use the changer after installing the adapter, so one of the other two products are probably a better choice. The PIE adapter is model GM9-AUX. PIE and USA Spec also make iPod-specific adapters that allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel controls as well as recharge the iPod battery.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rxrom
I looked at all the stickies. My trans am didn't come with factory cd changer but the wire to connect it are there. Can I buy an adapter to connect to the wires in the trunk and have a port for my I pod. I don't know anything about electricity so the adapter needs to be plug and play (if such a thing exists)

Thanks

Then you OBVIOUSLY didn't read the sticky. Or you just CAN NOT comprehend what you read, which I seriously doubt.

So which is it? The info you need was just posted IN THIS THREAD. Care to guess where that info came from? My money is on the STICKY that someone(not you! Lmao...) didn't read.

Smh. Seems like everyone these days needs to have everything handed to them or done for them. You seriously couldn't find that info? Then you didn't look. You just posted up your questions. Not sure if it's laziness, ignorance, or just pure dumbass.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Launching!

I didn't mean to get anyone upset. I was looking on eBay and found a device that plugs into the rear wires supplied for cd changer. I'm going to buy it. Still need to find where the wires are hidden in convertible.
Attached Thumbnails Can aux port be added instead of cd changer-image-104585537.jpg   Can aux port be added instead of cd changer-image-3135305498.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

As has been mentioned before, auxiliary adapters (including the iSimple one you found) DO NOT plug in at the back of the car. You will have to pull the radio out of the dash (an extremely simple 5 minute job), unplug the unused CD changer cable from the back of the radio, plug in the adapter to the now empty changer socket, and reinstall the radio. Someone who has done this before can finish in 20 minutes or less. For a first timer, allow possibly as much as an hour.

BTW, the iSimple is not completely plug-and-play. There are two wires that have to be spliced into the factory wiring in order to provide charging for the iPod or iPhone.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Thank you for the info.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So whats the best cam?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Cam??? I'm still working on how often to change my oil and what's the best oil to use.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Sub'crded
Old 01-23-2015, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did what I found from this thread a while ago. Made myself a silent CD to play while the iPod runs and it turned out great.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html

Quick Reply: Can aux port be added instead of cd changer