Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel radio controls? Can I add them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel radio controls? Can I add them?

I have a 99 z28 Convertible, the sun has taken its toll on the steering wheel and it is not as pristine as I would like it to be, yes I am picky. I have been considering buying a new steering wheel. My question is, can I buy one with the radio controls built in and tap into the harness somewhere? I know this years Pontiacs had them so I cant imagine the harness is that much different. Has anyone successfully added steering wheel radio controls to there cars???

Thanks for any and all input!

Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

No one has tried this yet? Anyone?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I wanted to do the same thing with mine, I don't see why you couldn't do it. I do know that you need a special tool just to remove the steering wheel though. GM and snap-on have a freaking evil plan to make GM owners have to buy as many one time use tools as possible.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I am in the middle of it, but have run into some problems. I will keep you up to date as I get more on this. I have a 98 Z-28 and I am in Jacksonville, Fl as well SPURTLE.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is something i would like to do also, please keep us up to date
Old 05-23-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do it, however, you need a new wheel, and airbag, as well as harness for the controls, and the clock spring for the new airbag/wheel/radio control.

Ryan.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I have not found the wire harness that comes from the radio to the elc controls, but supposedly, all the Monsoon head units have them already wired that way, they just weren't plugged in. I am waiting to get the Helms manuals and then we will see what we find out.

Hey slow, how did you do your passenger express down mod? That is something I would like to do as well.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/expresswindow.htm

hope that helps

Ryan
Old 05-24-2004, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered a 1998 and 2000 Helms service manual set. That way I have the info for my 1998 and the 2000 (donor wheel, airbag and clock spring) available. They should be here by Thursday/Friday, so then this weekend I may have it done, and a basic install doc and stuff associated.
Man, this has turned into like a crusdae for me! Plus I am going to sell the 2000 Helm manual set, so if anyone is interested, let me know.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok this is the deal....my 98 has the Monsoon system in it (RPO code UL0). I read on the board somewhere that the Monsoon system was pre-wired for the steering wheel controls. First let me say...NO!!!! No offense to the guy, but the 98 Camaro does not have it. The Helms factory manual also says that only the Pontiacs did. At least for 98. 99, not sure.
So now I spent the money for the wheel, airbag, clock spring, and the Helms manual. Oh joy. BUT....that will not get me down. I am going to see if I can use the schematics and make a mini harness that will plug into the controls and then use the pin outs to go to the factory stereo. This gets more like a quest all the time!!!
Here is a quick check to see if you are pre-wired for it. Look on the inside fuse panel (left side of dash), mine has #3 and #13 for the steering wheel control fuses. If the block has connectors, but no fuse...good sign. If not, well, you will have to decide if you want to persue this or not.
The schematics don't look too bad, but the cost and the changing stuff out, well if the wheel/airbag, and clock spring were not on the car, i would abandon it. But as it is, I am going to try and see this through. If you want more detailed info, e-mail me at dave5514@comcast.net and I will fill you in on it all so far.

Thanks