Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swapping over to fixed antenna...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Swapping over to fixed antenna...

...so that I can use a stubby, instead of the power antenna, which looks like you're calling ET when fully extended. I secured the bracket from a non-powered F-body through Hawks Motorsports. My question is, the actual antenna part - the part that receives the radio signal - where on the power antenna is that located, so that I can transfer it to the new antenna? In looking at it, it looks like the very top part of the power bracket, but I am not sure.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There really aren't any interchangeable parts between the retractable power antenna and the fixed antenna. If I understand your question correctly, you're trying to find how to attach a fixed or shorty antenna to the existing power antenna hardware... you can't.

Here's the hardware layout:

Power antenna hardware

Fixed antenna hardware.

You'll see that the fixed antenna has a bracket with a basic threaded post (#3) mounted with a bracket so that it protrudes through the quarter panel and rubber grommet (#2) so that the fixed antenna mast simply screws onto the post. The power antenna has a collapsible mast which retracts into the motor assembly with no external threaded post to attach a fixed mast to.

You would need only the fixed antenna bracket (part #10425534) - the grommet is the same for both types - but it has been discontinued so you will probably have to get one from a junk yard.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There really aren't any interchangeable parts between the retractable power antenna and the fixed antenna. If I understand your question correctly, you're trying to find how to attach a fixed or shorty antenna to the existing power antenna hardware... you can't.

Here's the hardware layout:

Power antenna hardware

Fixed antenna hardware.

You'll see that the fixed antenna has a bracket with a basic threaded post (#3) mounted with a bracket so that it protrudes through the quarter panel and rubber grommet (#2) so that the fixed antenna mast simply screws onto the post. The power antenna has a collapsible mast which retracts into the motor assembly with no external threaded post to attach a fixed mast to.

You would need only the fixed antenna bracket (part #10425534) - the grommet is the same for both types - but it has been discontinued so you will probably have to get one from a junk yard.
Yes, I have that part (10425534), from Hawks. I also have a 1.5" stubby antenna I found on ebay. My question is, how will the radio get reception once I swap out the old power setup to the new "fixed" setup, with the new silver bracket that I got from Hawks? I likely wont see the car until this upcoming Saturday again, at which time I will take pictures if needed.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Nevermind....I think this answers my question. Looking at the diagrams, I see the "inner" antenna and where it connects to the top base of the fixed antenna:

I'll need to attach that to the top of the inside of the bracket, then add my stubby, if i'm correct.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, the cable and its Motorola connector are the same for both the fixed and power antennas so you just need to unplug the cable from the power antenna assembly and plug it in to the fixed antenna mount.
The following users liked this post:
ARSENAL670 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the fixed bracket (10425534) is also discontinued... I need one also as the stud for the antenna t the end has broken off and I don't get a very good radio single...
Old 06-16-2020, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maverick18
Looks like the fixed bracket (10425534) is also discontinued... I need one also as the stud for the antenna t the end has broken off and I don't get a very good radio single...

I got mine (with the fixed external antenna, as it is sold as a unit) from Hawks Motorsports.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, the cable and its Motorola connector are the same for both the fixed and power antennas so you just need to unplug the cable from the power antenna assembly and plug it in to the fixed antenna mount.
Great. I'll be doing that this weekend, i'm sure.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670
I got mine (with the fixed external antenna, as it is sold as a unit) from Hawks Motorsports.
Awesome, do you have a link? I couldn't find it on their site?

thanks
Old 06-16-2020, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maverick18
Awesome, do you have a link? I couldn't find it on their site?

thanks
No problem - I talked to a guy named Sean in sales. Very helpful.

*EDIT* I didn't find it on their site, I gave Sean the part # and described to him what I needed.

Quick Reply: Swapping over to fixed antenna...