Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Headlight issues

2001 Trans Am (Has the pop up headlights of course)

I'm having some funky things happening witoffh my headlights. Sometimes the passenger headlight won't turn on and sometimes it will. Sometimes it won't retract down when I turn the lights and sometimes it will. I don't think it's the actual motor as it doesn't sound bad when it does work. Plus the motor wouldn't explain why the light won't turn on sometimes. The relay is clean and far as I can tell. I'm guessing my issue is wiring connector that's under the bumper on the passenger's side.

-Does anyone know what this wiring connector is called or have a part number for both the male and female sides? Every google search I do brings up the headlight relay connector.

-Would it be half assed to just do spade connectors instead of waiting for the part to come and paying x amount?
Old 11-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is no headlight relay in 4th generation f-bodies.

Can you provide more details about the connector you're concerned about? Perhaps a photo or the number of wires and their colors? There are two connectors to the headlight door module (a 4-pin and a 5-pin) which have been known to go bad. They are part numbers 12102776 (4-pin) and 12102775 (5-pin).

Other than the headlight bulb connector, there are no other connectors related to the headlights anywhere in the front lamp harness between the firewall and the lamps. There are the headlight door motor connector, marker light connector, fog light connector, and front turn signal / DRL connector but those are direct plug-ins to the sockets rather than inline connectors so you wouldn't have trouble identifying them and there are no separate male and female ends. Other connectors in the area would be the horns and the windshield washer pump.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no headlight relay in 4th generation f-bodies.

Can you provide more details about the connector you're concerned about? Perhaps a photo or the number of wires and their colors? There are two connectors to the headlight door module (a 4-pin and a 5-pin) which have been known to go bad. They are part numbers 12102776 (4-pin) and 12102775 (5-pin).

Other than the headlight bulb connector, there are no other connectors related to the headlights anywhere in the front lamp harness between the firewall and the lamps. There are the headlight door motor connector, marker light connector, fog light connector, and front turn signal / DRL connector but those are direct plug-ins to the sockets rather than inline connectors so you wouldn't have trouble identifying them and there are no separate male and female ends. Other connectors in the area would be the horns and the windshield washer pump.
I was thinking this harness under the headlamp may be the culprit?

Old 11-08-2021, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

That connector would certainly have wires corresponding to the issues you're experiencing (intermittent light and motor operation) but it looks quite clean and solid. I wouldn't plan on replacing it until you open it up and see if there's any corrosion on the contacts inside. It might just need some cleanup and some dielectric grease.

If you determine that it needs to be replaced, you should get proper waterproof connectors if you can't find the OEM piece. Spade connectors would not be a good choice. You can get kits of waterproof connectors which look very similar to the factory design for $20 or less online.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

This sounds like a cold solder joint problem on the headlight control module. The next time this happens, try opening the hood and then letting it shut hard. A lot of times, that's enough to cause the broken contacts to connect. If the light turns on as it should when you shut the hood or tap the module, then you have the cold solder issue.

See the posts here, starting with #1838: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ispreloading=1
Old 11-24-2021, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
This sounds like a cold solder joint problem on the headlight control module. The next time this happens, try opening the hood and then letting it shut hard. A lot of times, that's enough to cause the broken contacts to connect. If the light turns on as it should when you shut the hood or tap the module, then you have the cold solder issue.

See the posts here, starting with #1838: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...ispreloading=1
Very Well Could be! I opened up the control module and while I didn't take a good look at the solders yet....it's got moisture in it...........so I'm letting it dry off. I'll definitely try to reseal it well after it's resoldered. I haven't soldered anything in at least 15 years. Going to hope for the best.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

use the cell phone rice trick?
Old 11-25-2021, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
Very Well Could be! I opened up the control module and while I didn't take a good look at the solders yet....it's got moisture in it...........so I'm letting it dry off. I'll definitely try to reseal it well after it's resoldered. I haven't soldered anything in at least 15 years. Going to hope for the best.
You won't be able to see cracks with the naked eye, even unseen in the pictures in my original posts. You need to get a magnifying loupe out or some other device. Even then, they are still pretty hard to find.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I'm guessing it's just best to resolder even if it looks good?
Old 11-25-2021, 05:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
So I'm guessing it's just best to resolder even if it looks good?
If you have water inflitration in the unit and are already in there, I would re-solder no matter what. It doesn't hurt anything and even if you don't have the probem now - it's a matter of time until you do. Re-soldering should re-set the "clock" on those joints for you. (worst case)
The following users liked this post:
2001ws6ft (11-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Headlight issues