Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Police Radar Detector Jamming?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Police Radar Detector Jamming?!?

I got a ticket the other day and my Valentine One never alerted me. I noticed that the cop wrote down on the ticket that he jammed the radar detector so that the driver wouldn't be alerted to the use of police radar. I've heard of radar detector DETECTORS that police use, but never jammers. Is this just another twisted, lying cop that is full of BS? Thanks,
FLeX
Old 07-26-2004 | 05:44 PM
Customizing Director

Hmm can't say I've heard of that either. The Valentine One should have picked up that band (I think V2) and still catch the signal...
Old 07-26-2004 | 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive never heard of any cop using a radar dectector jammer. Since you cant jam it its just a receiver it emits no signal to "jam". You can overload it with multiple signals but thats all ive ever heard happening. He probably used laser gun or your radar detector is poorly installed.
Old 07-26-2004 | 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt he could have. A jammer would cost $$$, for one thing, and to get it to pass FCC rules is another, because it would have to be a broad band jammer. There are a lot of things that use close to the same frequencies that the radar guns/detectors use. Banks and the such. As far as I know is the military and FBi are the only government services allowed to use jammers.
Old 07-26-2004 | 08:13 PM
Launching!

Maybe POP radar?
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

cuz CLEARLY cops just tell the truth all the time
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
cuz CLEARLY cops just tell the truth all the time
lol lol lol!
sounds bogus to me too, doesn't valentine give you some kinda warantee where they pay your ticket?
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea, v1 should pay that for ya, and no, cops don't have anything that can jam a radar detector. thats an offensive device, and i doubt any number of liberal groups would allow that ****. there ARE things that you can get that DO jam THEIR guns, my buddy is running one in his car, albeit he has a ricer, its illegal as ****, and its $500.

it might have been POP, or laser that hit the right spot on your car. or just a dumb **** police officer tryin to trick you.
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:14 PM

Take it to court, might even check for a lawyer
who deals with radar tickets, and see about what
you can do to embarass this pork-pie in front of
the judge. That should be worth the fee.
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:53 PM
On The Tree

There really are no secrets with this technology.

There is no radar device to jam a detector. V2 is a detector detector. POP is only stealthy for the microseconds sampling, but those reading do not hold up in any courts that I have heard. POP is used by the officer to quietly sample traffic speeds before committing to a hard 0.20-1.0 second 8-12 sample measurement that WILL hold up in court. This "lock" would have been displayed by the V1, unless it was faulty.

As someone else suggested, It might also have been laser and your detector was never exposed to the narrow beam. There are several other ways involving timing, markers, and speedometers that would not provide an alert. Either way I would contact the police department and ask them to "accurately" describe the technology supporting the charges on the citation. I believe you are fairly entitled to this information and the watch commander would be happy to provide it.