Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satellite radio

Does anyone have satellite radio in there camaro or trans am if so where did u put the antenna, im wantin to get it but i dont want to put an antenna on the outside of my car any help would be appreciated
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

i put mine under the windsheild cowling thing. that big peice of plastic between the wipers and the hood. i dont have any speakers wired in yet, but i get reception in my garage so i think its fair to say it will work ok. if you look thru those little vents you can see it, otherwise its totally stealth.

i didnt want to put it on the exterior or on the dash...

i can post a pic later when i get home if you like.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

naaa man thats cool that give me an idea im pretty sure of where u r talkin bout an wut provider did u go with xm or sirius
Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

i went with sirius. i figured with the howard stern hype that they might have a slight advantage over xm as far as the future goes. i researched a tad, and they both basically are the same. xm is around 9 bucks a month, sirius is 12.

i forgot to say i put the antenna on the passenger side under the cowl. i'm gonna post pics prolly this weekend of the sirius and ipod interface install on another board, i'll post a link for ya anyway.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/258883-how-d-y-all-wire-your-sirius-xm-receivers-your-cars.html
Old 01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have my XM antenna on top of the dash, as far to the front as possible. Zero problems with reception.

TS
Old 01-24-2005, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

How does Sat Radio work? can u pick a band and listen to theyr jams or u just select a genra and there you go..?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 266 Likes on 230 Posts

Your best bet is to check them out at their web sites (www.xmradio.com and www.sirius.com) to see which offers the programming you like best. With the exception of Sirius' all-Elvis channel, they don't have performer specific channels although both services will often do special presentations featuring a single artist. Their channels are much more specific then just by genre - for example, Sirius has 6 country channels and 14 rock channels (not to mention the "decade" channels). You can get a free preview of the various channels for each service from their websites.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only reason that u are suppose to put it on the outside of yor car is because it has to always be in order with the satellite. that matters if you travel down south or up north or btwn the coasts. u understand what i mean. it may work up in like NY on our dash but if u goto like florida it may not....

if u don't travel too much then put in temporarily in a few diff spots in the car and see jow u like the reception as u drive.