Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

15" Ported Speaker box...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15" Ported Speaker box...

Anyone know where I can find a Ported Box for a 1996 Camaro that will hold a 15" speaker and has atleast 3.5cu ft. of air space? The most I have found on the net is 2.2cuft. and a big price tag($315 shiping and all)... I can get one built by a shop here for that...

The sub going in is a Rockford HX2 15, which is why I'm wanting a lot of airspace...
Old 02-12-2005, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to have to get that made for you. I have never seen a ported enclosure for a Ported 15" for a Camaro.

Can you Build one yourself??? Not too bad, but requires basic Woodworking skills and you need to be good at measuring and can cut angles.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Richiec77
You are going to have to get that made for you. I have never seen a ported enclosure for a Ported 15" for a Camaro.

Can you Build one yourself??? Not too bad, but requires basic Woodworking skills and you need to be good at measuring and can cut angles.

i agree with Richiec77

go ahead and try to build one your self. if u give me basic measurements of your trunk i can try and help u design something.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
i agree with Richiec77

go ahead and try to build one your self. if u give me basic measurements of your trunk i can try and help u design something.
That's a cool idea. Shoot me a PM if you want help. Either one of you guys.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:52 AM
Teching In

I believe I can get away with 2.5cu ft. and here is one I found online
http://www.subthump.com/images/camaro/well/15slot2.jpg

I can get it for $310 shipping and all(and that includes vinyl) but that is still too steap and I am pretty sure I can get a shop around here to build it a lot cheaper... I did have a source for building it, but he quit working with me and apparently now has a different cell phone number, so I have no way of getting up with him... Hopefully, I'll run into him sometime and get him to build it... But, I'm also not going to wait around forever... Right now I'm still saving for the amp and what not so it'll be about a month before I get real serious in searching(full time student, part-time worker)... But anyway here are all of the dimensions on my sub..

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.as...1&1=459&3=1485
Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why not fiberglass your own box. Its not that hard just takes time and it will be light when your one (compared to MDF)
Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Teching In

oh and I knew all along it was going to have to be custom built, I was just wondering if you guys knew of a good place to find custom built boxes online...
Old 02-13-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Custom doesn't usually go hand-in-hand with online. It's built to specifically fit your car, sub and desired intentions. That is probably the only site I've seen that does what I listed above. (You have to send in specs for the sub before they build it)

That One you found is pretty good. I missed that looking around. Good Find. I Love Memphis subs. (was sponsored, but I still liked their products)

You will be fine with the 2.5 cu Ft. box. All the smaller box will do is move the "Q" around a bit. Make the sub peakier then if it was in a larger enclosure. 2.0-4.0 is the recommended ap. My memphis subs were 2.5-4. I have A WALL with 3 HPO 15's in 15.5 cu. Ft..

Id guess the "Q" would be around 0.8 for 2.5 ft. You'll be fine. You will want an AMP with a low pass filter. The tunning freq wil be higher (probably around 35-45hz) with the smaller box. The bigger the box the lower you can tune it.

What type of Music do you listen too????? Please be specific. List Mostly to what you don't. You might want a sealled enclosure. Big question to answer due to the nature of Ported Enclosures.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-13-2005 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8AGT
I believe I can get away with 2.5cu ft. and here is one I found online
http://www.subthump.com/images/camaro/well/15slot2.jpg

I can get it for $310 shipping and all(and that includes vinyl) but that is still too steap and I am pretty sure I can get a shop around here to build it a lot cheaper... I did have a source for building it, but he quit working with me and apparently now has a different cell phone number, so I have no way of getting up with him... Hopefully, I'll run into him sometime and get him to build it... But, I'm also not going to wait around forever... Right now I'm still saving for the amp and what not so it'll be about a month before I get real serious in searching(full time student, part-time worker)... But anyway here are all of the dimensions on my sub..

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.as...1&1=459&3=1485

Looking closer that box is 2.2 cu. ft. That is really close to 0.9 or 1.0 "Q". That is going to mean that the sub is peaky, will have to tune high (45-50hz), and will roll off like a motha. ( virtually no low end response at 20hz, 30 will be a tiny bit)

That is going to REQUIRE a "Sub-Sonic Filter". If you don't have one in the amp you will damage the speaker. That is why I'm thinking a sealed encolure might be the better choice. You seem to be set on a Ported enclosure for now. Why? Not bashing. Try to get you "correct" info here.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Why not fiberglass your own box. Its not that hard just takes time and it will be light when your one (compared to MDF)

I'm with you on this, BUT he might not have Friend/knowledge on how to do this. Write-ups only say so much, Hands-on with someone with knowledge is so much better. Especially if he doesn't know where to start.

Dude. Where are you From??? I'm in Texas. Look at my sig to see the town. If you are close I can Help you with this.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Id listen to Richiec77 here guys, sounds like he knows his stuff.

A ported box is an application specific thing. It all depends on what you want. 40-50 HZ sounds way high, so if you don't want sound quality, and just want it to be as loud as you can get it...

I also am unable to find anyone online who can help me design a 1.5CF port tuned box (33hz) for 1 10" Eclipse titanium. At this point, I think i'll just get a dual-sealed box, and just get another woofer for the extra 3DB.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually he could get it tuned lower. Might be just a Hair peaky, but can do it. The Port legnth get's longer as the box get's smaller. Or I could be backwards. Been about 2 years since I've designed a ported enclosure.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=

Paste your question here. They can give you the best response. It's their sub.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-13-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Christos
Id listen to Richiec77 here guys, sounds like he knows his stuff.

A ported box is an application specific thing. It all depends on what you want. 40-50 HZ sounds way high, so if you don't want sound quality, and just want it to be as loud as you can get it...

I also am unable to find anyone online who can help me design a 1.5CF port tuned box (33hz) for 1 10" Eclipse titanium. At this point, I think i'll just get a dual-sealed box, and just get another woofer for the extra 3DB.

1.5 cu. Ft. 33 HZ. 4" dia. Port. 17.8" long. This is a pretty Ball park figure. The Theil-Small parameters will determine the exact legnth. I'd call Eclipse Directly, Ask for the Technical department, and they would hook you up right.

Still I do remeber and know that the smaller the box, the less it's able reproduce the lower freq's. You can tune the box lower, but it will either have a hump in the response, or a dip and then a hump. It's much more difficult to tune the box low if the enclosure is small.

You usually design a ported enclosure around the F3/FS drop off. this is what makes them more efficient.

Let me get the Theil-Small Parameters for those subs (if you have them).

I need the: Qts, Qes, Fs, Vas, Diameter (cm if not I'll convert),

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-13-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

I built a 3.5 cu ft. ported box for a 12in. kicker L7 and it was a pita. But it slammed hard. I still have the box if you want to see some pics of it. let me know
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Richiec77
. I'd call Eclipse Directly, Ask for the Technical department, and they would hook you up right.
defiantly call eclipse and talk to a tech, usually they are more than happy to help. they will also let u know how man square inches the port should be compared to how many cubic feet u make the box.

i would go with a sqaure port rather than the traditional circle, it would be easier to do. this way u can build it with the same wood u use for your box. u won't have to go looking for a perfect round port.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

The Thiele-Small parameters for the RF sub are in this manual: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...ted=1065548254
Old 02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snootch
The Thiele-Small parameters for the RF sub are in this manual: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...ted=1065548254
Thanks.

Here it is. for 2.2 Ft3 box; the F3 is now 39 Hz (not bad), The Fb is 33Hz. You'll have a 5.7 db ripple around the tunning freq. So it will be peaky at the Tunned legnth of the port. Around 40 Hz, the enclosure will be the loudest. You will need a Subsonic filter around 25-30Hz to prevent damage. With cabin gain of the Camaro, it will extend down to around 20hz. Won't be loud at the lower freq's like a sealed would be.

Port choices: 1 4" port 9 1/4" long. 2 4" ports

Square I'd say a 2.5" width, 8" legnth Opening, 12" in depth.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Teching In

well, believe it or not I got into contact with my box builder today... Turns out while he was working in Illinois his phone was crushed and my number was stored in his phone so he had no way of getting into touch with me... I have an apointment with him Thursday to get my measurements... So, sorry to rain on the parade but I really have no more use for this topic... I just can't beat getting a custom built ported box(he believes he can build it with 3.5-4 cu. ft. of air space) for just the cost of the material... Well, I actually plan on paying him $100 just as a token of my appreciation...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8AGT
well, believe it or not I got into contact with my box builder today... Turns out while he was working in Illinois his phone was crushed and my number was stored in his phone so he had no way of getting into touch with me... I have an apointment with him Thursday to get my measurements... So, sorry to rain on the parade but I really have no more use for this topic... I just can't beat getting a custom built ported box(he believes he can build it with 3.5-4 cu. ft. of air space) for just the cost of the material... Well, I actually plan on paying him $100 just as a token of my appreciation...
That much room is going to require Fiberglass. Get ready to have about $150-200 in materials.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Launching!

This is all I've got. 0's = nodata

Qts: 0.47
Fs 26 Hz
Xmax: 0.038 m
Z: 0.00
Qms: 5.00
Vas: 59.5 L
Qes: 0.51
SPL: 84.9 dB
Re: 0.00
Pe: 0.0
Le: 0.00
BL: 0.0
dia: 0.000
SD: 0.035 m^2

I e-mailed an eclipse tech once before, and he gave me the dimentions for a ported box @40 hz or so. I thought that was a bit high from what i've read though.

Quick Reply: 15" Ported Speaker box...