Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

people with subthump 12" stealth box..what sub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with subthump 12" stealth box..what sub?

What subs are you guys going with? Im looking at a RF p3, IDMAXX, 12w3, alumapro alchemy, infinity perfect..

suggestions, comments?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the subthump 10" stealth box with a sony P5, and it hits really hard, and sounds very good. My winter rat has 2 10" orion subs and the 1 10" sub in my Firebird sounds twice as good and hits twice as hard(at half the watts)
Im not a expert on any of those subs you listed but I think that you will be very pleased with any one that you choose.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have been told that any sub will sound good in a quality built box. I have the t-top box built by subthump and have 2 cheap mtx 12s in it($60 bucks for the pair). I am very happy with the sound. And i dont have to stick my t-tops in the back seat.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dino98T/A
I have been told that any sub will sound good in a quality built box.

That's not entirely true. A crappy sub is a crappy sub no matter what box you put it into. Also the model of sub should be matched to the needs of the listener. Some subs play loud but don't hit low (old Rockfords were notorious for this), some hit low but are not as loud (JL W7s fit this bill but are still pretty loud), some are made for shear accuracy and smooth response with as little peakyness as possible. SQ subs would work poorly in an SPL situation just as an SPL sub would sound poor in an SQ situtation.

That being said there are MANY ways to make a sub designed for one thing work well in another siutation like enclosure design, equalization, baffling, etc etc. but why buy a JL AUdio 18w3 when all you listen is speed metal or hard rock (Slayer, Old Metalica, Fear Factory) or an Image Dynamic 8" sub when your main music is DJ Magic Mike? LOL

Ok, So basically try and pick a sub that matches the music you listen to as well as what your amp can handle.

My buddy just bought one of those boxes and installed a Diamond Audio CM312-D2 into it powered off a 300/4's rear channels and he said it sounds pretty good. I'm sure he'll post up here shortly.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

and here lies the problem, i listen to rap, hip hop, rnb, rock etc... So i need a 12" that is somewhat sq bias...but i do want the spl from your average 12
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
and here lies the problem, i listen to rap, hip hop, rnb, rock etc... So i need a 12" that is somewhat sq bias...but i do want the spl from your average 12
id go with either image dynamics or elemental design. amazing sq, good spl, great price, small enclosure subs. both these subs work amazing with the stealthbox. im getting that stealthbox soon too and im gonna throw a elemental design 12 in there.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

That's not a big problem man. Only if you are trying to maximize for competition.

Just get a good all around sub. If the JL 12W6V2 will fit that would work nicely as it hits LOW yet has great SQ capability and is decently loud. One of the guys at my shop (IASCA Cert. Judge) used to run L7s in his Suburban and he swapped over to two 13w6v2s and was very happy with the swap. One of the other guys (total audiophile, took 3rd in his class awhile back at the finals) uses two 12w7s due to how low and smooth they hit. Most people think of W7s are an SPL sub and they are not really designed for that. The W6 is basically a scaled down version of the W7 acording to JL Audio.

If I had my choice I'd be running the 12w6v2 but I don't have the depth in my trucks as you know so I run the Diamond Audio M612's (500w RMS). They don't hit as low as the W6s but they play VERY tight and accurate and I listen to anything from Fear Factory (double kick drums), Pennywise, George Strait (tons of low end bass), Movie Soundtracks (dynamic and lots of low bass), The Federation, Too Short (typical Rap bass lines), Motley Crue, or whatever.

That's just my personal preferances. Every one is different though. Ohh, did you check out the sale we have going on with the Diamond subs? I posted em up on Norcal. if you're looking for a sub now is the time to get one. Avengeance just bought one, you might wanna PM him.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
That's not a big problem man. Only if you are trying to maximize for competition.

Just get a good all around sub. If the JL 12W6V2 will fit that would work nicely as it hits LOW yet has great SQ capability and is decently loud. One of the guys at my shop (IASCA Cert. Judge) used to run L7s in his Suburban and he swapped over to two 13w6v2s and was very happy with the swap. One of the other guys (total audiophile, took 3rd in his class awhile back at the finals) uses two 12w7s due to how low and smooth they hit. Most people think of W7s are an SPL sub and they are not really designed for that. The W6 is basically a scaled down version of the W7 acording to JL Audio.

If I had my choice I'd be running the 12w6v2 but I don't have the depth in my trucks as you know so I run the Diamond Audio M612's (500w RMS). They don't hit as low as the W6s but they play VERY tight and accurate and I listen to anything from Fear Factory (double kick drums), Pennywise, George Strait (tons of low end bass), Movie Soundtracks (dynamic and lots of low bass), The Federation, Too Short (typical Rap bass lines), Motley Crue, or whatever.

That's just my personal preferances. Every one is different though. Ohh, did you check out the sale we have going on with the Diamond subs? I posted em up on Norcal. if you're looking for a sub now is the time to get one. Avengeance just bought one, you might wanna PM him.

thanks bro, ill check it out...I heard diamond is realy realy nice but ive never had any experience with them..THe only subs ive ever owned were mid level eclipse and alumapro alchemy (was very happy with those)
Old 02-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I guess I just lucked out with my sub set up. Im going to go find the dude that told me that b.s. haha
Old 02-21-2005, 01:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dino98T/A
Thanks for the info. I guess I just lucked out with my sub set up. Im going to go find the dude that told me that b.s. haha

No worries Dino, he wasn't entirely wrong but he wasn't correct either. We've built some nice boxes for people and their crappy subs and from experiance it doesn't always sound good. By the same token a really goo dsub can be ruined with a crap enclosure or bad tuning.

SSaction, you might hit up some of the guys on Norcal too and see what they are running. The only problem with asking people without actually listening to their systems is that their opnions may differe from yours. i've heard some really shitty systems out there and the owners swear up and down they sound awesome. LOL
Old 02-21-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

No worries Dino, he wasn't entirely wrong but he wasn't correct either. We've built some nice boxes for people and their crappy subs and from experiance it doesn't always sound good. By the same token a really goo dsub can be ruined with a crap enclosure or bad tuning.

SSaction, you might hit up some of the guys on Norcal too and see what they are running. The only problem with asking people without actually listening to their systems is that their opnions may differe from yours. i've heard some really shitty systems out there and the owners swear up and down they sound awesome. LOL

oh i am all to aware of this LOL. If you remember i install at the local best buy (which is why im not to familiar with good **** ).. Ive had people put a 10" dual 30W sub in a fricken caddy and think it bumps
Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

oh i am all to aware of this LOL. If you remember i install at the local best buy (which is why im not to familiar with good **** ).. Ive had people put a 10" dual 30W sub in a fricken caddy and think it bumps

Totally bro! Hahahaha people are funny sometimes.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you offhand know the air space that CM3 12" needs?
Its looking pretty good to me
Old 02-21-2005, 01:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Do you offhand know the air space that CM3 12" needs?
Its looking pretty good to me

I'm blanking out right now but I know they will work in 1-1.25cu.ft really well and I am pretty sure .75 is doable. I know the M6 series will work in as small as .68cu.ft. sealed.

The smaller the box the more peaky the frequency response is going to be.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm blanking out right now but I know they will work in 1-1.25cu.ft really well and I am pretty sure .75 is doable. I know the M6 series will work in as small as .68cu.ft. sealed.

The smaller the box the more peaky the frequency response is going to be.

the box only has .6 cubic feet ..I did opt for the "vented" option, but i dont build boxes so i have no idea what that will effect
Old 02-21-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Truck Club

the box only has .6 cubic feet ..I did opt for the "vented" option, but i dont build boxes so i have no idea what that will effect

Vented means ported. You definately don't want to try and stick a 12" sub in a vented box of only .6 cu.ft. That would be plain silly. Vented boxes are generally .5-1.0 cu.ft. bigger than sealed to play correctly and not have a tuning frequency too high.

I thought this was a 12" box you are buying? They are only .6 cu.ft? That's like a 10" box. Avengeance said his box was supposed to be 1.25cu.ft.??
Old 02-21-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Vented means ported. You definately don't want to try and stick a 12" sub in a vented box of only .6 cu.ft. That would be plain silly. Vented boxes are generally .5-1.0 cu.ft. bigger than sealed to play correctly and not have a tuning frequency too high.

I thought this was a 12" box you are buying? They are only .6 cu.ft? That's like a 10" box. Avengeance said his box was supposed to be 1.25cu.ft.??

Driver's Side 12" Stealth
Holds a 12" medium duty sub
mdf construction
has .6 cu.ft. of air space
mounting depth is 9-1/2"
Maximum cutout size is 11-1/8".

This is our brand new mdf 12" driver's side stealth. It also has .6 cu.ft. of volume. To get more volume, we offer a vented option by installing this. Select that option for enhanced bass response. We highly recommend it.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-546
Old 02-21-2005, 12:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

That's pretty neat. I have not seen anyone trying to use an aperiodic membrane in a long time. Unfortunately they fell out of favor long before I really started to learn a lot about car audio so I don't know the exact pros and cons to it.

You're best bet would be to call up Diamond Audio and ask for Technical support or Coop specifically and tell him what you are planning on doing. I'd do it for you but I wont be at work till like Wed..
Old 02-21-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty neat. I have not seen anyone trying to use an aperiodic membrane in a long time. Unfortunately they fell out of favor long before I really started to learn a lot about car audio so I don't know the exact pros and cons to it.

You're best bet would be to call up Diamond Audio and ask for Technical support or Coop specifically and tell him what you are planning on doing. I'd do it for you but I wont be at work till like Wed..

thanks bro. THey highly reccomend it so well see
I picked up my amp from work today, RF 500.2..rated at 670rms 2ohm so i need a hungry small box sub LOL

Quick Reply: people with subthump 12" stealth box..what sub?