Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

3 way, 24db/octave crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 way, 24db/octave crossover?

I can't find one......everything seems to be 12db or 18db/octave.

I want to bi-amp my setup but the crossover that came with the Infinity Perfects is a 24db/octave and I would rather not give that up. Help?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you want a roll off that sharp?
The decibel rating on the crossover has nothing to do with the efficiency or how loud the crossover is. The DB rating is actually the rate of decent at which the frequency rolls off. 99.9999999% of the people cannot tell the difference between a 18db and 24db roll off.

Im still unsure (from the other post) what this bi-amping is.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
The decibel rating on the crossover has nothing to do with the efficiency or how loud the crossover is. The DB rating is actually the rate of decent at which the frequency rolls off. 99.9999999% of the people cannot tell the difference between a 18db and 24db roll off.

an amp (channel) for the tweeters, one for the mids, one for the subs.......no speaker level crossovers.....

so you think I should just go with the 18db?
Attached Thumbnails 3 way, 24db/octave crossover?-bi-amp.jpg  
Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick

I've seen Bi-Ampable component before. I can't recall a brand off the top of my head, but they work like this: You can have both the tweeters and the woofers running off of 1 input (normally how it's done). If you want to "Bi-Amp" it, you would usually clip a wire inside or remove a jumper. Then you can apply 2 sperate inputs. 1 set for the mids, 1 set for the tweeters. Crossovering? taken care of throught the regular crossover.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
an amp (channel) for the tweeters, one for the mids, one for the subs.......no speaker level crossovers.....

so you think I should just go with the 18db?

Oh..... OK. You meant "running the tweeters off another amp". I don't think there is an industry term for doing this.

You'd be fine with 18db. The reasoning behind Infinity using a 24 dB Slope is probably complex to explain.

If you really want to know PM me and I'll come up with reasons for this. It deals with Speaker Dynamics and design and is mostly physics based. I'll break it down so you can understand, but you would have to have a decint working knowledge of how crossovers work, nodes, dips, Speaker Materials, how a speaker works,.......

Easy enought to ask the specific question and trust that myself and 2much know what we're doing.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Oh..... OK. You meant "running the tweeters off another amp". I don't think there is an industry term for doing this.

You'd be fine with 18db. The reasoning behind Infinity using a 24 dB Slope is probably complex to explain.

If you really want to know PM me and I'll come up with reasons for this. It deals with Speaker Dynamics and design and is mostly physics based. I'll break it down so you can understand, but you would have to have a decint working knowledge of how crossovers work, nodes, dips, Speaker Materials, how a speaker works,.......

Easy enought to ask the specific question and trust that myself and 2much know what we're doing.
thanks...I PMed you (would love to know.....hope I understand ).....I'll just go with the 18db then......any company better than the others or does it matter?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Audiocontrol
Old 03-20-2005, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

As ive said before 18db will be fine, you wont be able to tell the different in roll off between the 24 and the 18db.

Ive used pac for most of mine (mainly cause I got a really good price)
Old 03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
I've seen Bi-Ampable component before. I can't recall a brand off the top of my head, but they work like this: You can have both the tweeters and the woofers running off of 1 input (normally how it's done). If you want to "Bi-Amp" it, you would usually clip a wire inside or remove a jumper. Then you can apply 2 sperate inputs. 1 set for the mids, 1 set for the tweeters. Crossovering? taken care of throught the regular crossover.

Im sorry, but im failing to see the advantages of this...