Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New speakers, big amlifiers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New speakers, big amlifiers?

I want to get new speakers in the door and sail panel. I also want to amplify them. I have two 2ch amps, but i don't know if using them is what i want to do. They are cheap, possibly the cheapest brand. They are rated at
1200w x 1 max, but they only have one 30 amp fuse each so you know the deal. They are probably putting out 100-200RMS each at most. figure they'll be safe for four speakers since alot of the aftermarket speakers have around 100RMS ratings. Should i be ok if i keep the gains WAY down? By the way, these amps allegedly blew my two Rockford PUNCH HE2 15's with woo much gain.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Crap in = Crap out.

Sell em to a highschool kid and just get a decent 2ch amp for about $150 from the web.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, i was thinking that. I just figured they had to be good for something, if not subs. Too bad i dont have it all set up, because if anyone heard it they'd want to buy it. The amps and dual 15's sounded good, they just only sounded good until something died.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

If you have the cash, this would be an excellent building block to a future system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...07631&tc=photo

If your a little more restrained in terms of budget, this would suffice as well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5763404658

While the two above brands would not be my first choice, they are good brands none the less and only took me a whole 45 seconds to find on ebay.

EDIT: Here is an amp that will run your entire ssytem!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...79044&tc=photo
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. I guess the overall question is: "are these 2 amps OK to use?"

1.) what brand?
2.) Distortion is tha #1 killer of speakers.
3.) I'd probably sell them and get something better.

Here is an Excellent amp, that is cheap, and does alot for the money. My favorite "Bang for the Buck" amp.

http://search.ebay.com/Blaupunkt_Car...1QQsacatZ18795

Ignor the PCA one's and look at the PA2150. True 2 x 150 watt amp. Good option if you want to upgradw cheaply.

4.) what is your goal? $ channel to power 4 speakers?
5.) Aftermarket headunit?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your running tight on money I would look into a used amp.
Just make sure its not blown (which is not easy I know, especially over the internet)

Stay as far away from alpine V-12 amps as you can.

I would look into PPI or rockford because you probably want a amp thats going to last.(there are many others out there as well)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If you can pay $279 you can get a new ppi from carmedia
PPI DCX-300.4
http://www.carmedia1.com/en-us/dept_176.html
Old 03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

I'll probably have to hook these amps up for a while to get some local people to buy them. You guys have given great suggestions on amps in this thread, though. I haven't really figured out which brand of amps to look for so this has been a big help. I would like to know what is wrong with Alpine v-12 amps because i got a friend that likes them i like talkin ****. Also, is Memphis Audio a good brand because up by my school in connecticut, these guys swear by it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is just alot better out there for a price. They are not near as good as people build them up to be.

Memphis is a good brand if your looking for all out LOUD. Just depends on which route your looking for.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
I'll probably have to hook these amps up for a while to get some local people to buy them. You guys have given great suggestions on amps in this thread, though. I haven't really figured out which brand of amps to look for so this has been a big help. I would like to know what is wrong with Alpine v-12 amps because i got a friend that likes them i like talkin ****. Also, is Memphis Audio a good brand because up by my school in connecticut, these guys swear by it.

Ok. I see what you are trying to do. Yea. I would hook them up to get them sold and then get a better amp. I run Memphis in my Other car and they sound good. If it's for subs, then they are One of the top brands. For full range they are pretty good, but there are slightly better brands out there.

For what it's worth, You probably won't hear the difference between amps at this stage of your experience. Listening abilities for nuaces is a learned art and can't be taught.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

OK, i'ved been looking through some ebay listings and found what i think is a deal. There are two amps, they are both Phoenix Gold amps. One is Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:4 50w x 4 at 4 ohms for around $100. The other is a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:1 500w x 1 at 2 ohms for around $135. I figure if i get both they should power my whole system when i'm done with it. Both amps are for sale at the indoaudio store at ebay. What do you think? Also, any wiring suggestions? I was thinking 1/0 gauge from the battery would do fine.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, i'ved been looking through some ebay listings and found what i think is a deal. There are two amps, they are both Phoenix Gold amps. One is Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:4 50w x 4 at 4 ohms for around $100. The other is a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:1 500w x 1 at 2 ohms for around $135. I figure if i get both they should power my whole system when i'm done with it. Both amps are for sale at the indoaudio store at ebay. What do you think? Also, any wiring suggestions? I was thinking 1/0 gauge from the battery would do fine.
I've bought from idoaudio before. Really good E-bay seller to deal with. Shipping is still a major rip off anywhere on e-bay. I believe it is to make up for the price cuts.

I'm not to sure about the Octane series form Phoenix Gold. They used to make great amps, but these new ones seem to be a cheap amp made more for looks than performance. From what you are saying, anything seems to be better than what you have now, but I don't have experience with these newer amps to comment correctly.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Phoenix gold is probably one of my favorite brands. They have it all, looks, reliability, and sound quality. Oh yeah and they have price too Very good amps though.