Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone have a blinder laser jammer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a blinder laser jammer?

Does anyone have the blinder m20 laser jammer? Driving cross country next week and wondering if its worth it.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

laser use is limited. more than likley to be useless.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM

waste of money, as long as you have a good detector you should be fine!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Laser use is very limited because it costs a lot of $$ for law enforcement to upgrade from a system that works great already. Just keep with a radar detector since 95% of cops use radar only. I think it would be a waste of $$ to get a laser jammer for just that one instance that you just MIGHT happen to see a cop using laser. Chances are that when you run into that cop you are doing the speed limit anyway.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

If you live in a nicer suburb then there's a good chance you'll have laser use going on but not across the country. I live in North Dallas which is a fairly wealthy area and there is a lot of laser use up here.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

I live in New York and it seems that all the State Troopers primarily use LASER. You'll still find a few relying on the Ka band. It really sucks *****. A good quality detector (I have a Passport 8500 X50) will help prevent detection from most bands, but primarily, if you pick up LASER on the detector, they already have you.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad I live where I do then. My radar can detect laser and I have yet to have the laser alert go off yet in the years that I have had one. At least with radar I can slightly speed in moderate traffic and they can't prove it was me.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Stupid cops just got LAZER here in San Antonio. they have been using it like crazy on the highway that I travel on everyday.

COPS
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats just great. Soon they will be everywhere in the next couple of years. Better sell my car until I turn 25..... naa.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

yeah here in dfw there's lasers everywhere
Old 05-14-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverWS6_2002
...A good quality detector (I have a Passport 8500 X50) will help prevent detection from most bands, but primarily, if you pick up LASER on the detector, they already have you...

the question wasn't about a laser detector, it was about a laser jammer (specifically the Blinder M20). if you have a laser jammer, it doesn't matter how close/far away you are, as it will jam the laser signal being sent back to the cop, and prevent them from being able to tell how fast you're going (assuming it works the way it is advertised). and it would be pretty stupid for the cop to be using both laser & radar at the same time, as the radar would give them away well ahead of time for anyone who had a good radar detector.

but as stated, in most areas, radar is still the speed detection device of choice, especially in rural areas and interstate highways & such, so if you have a good radar detector, i wouldn't worry too much. just keep the speeds down in the city, where they are most likely to use laser....they will hide around bends in the road behind concrete pillars & such, just waiting to pop you with the laser. but out in the open (highways), they are more likely to be seen well before you are within range of the laser, so they will most likely to resort to radar.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

town and country has laser in Missouri. they sit on 270 and 40 nail people. if you get a laser ht on your detector they just shot you.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Passport SRX that I got off eBay, it detects laser and radar and also "jams" laser. This is in the DFW area, where I am. I was traveling on 35 heading east one night and i got blasted as I came over a hill doing like 10-15 over. The SRX went off like CRAZY! I looked down and it said it was shifting on the screen, I look up and Johnny Law is aiming right at me, keeps aiming at me between his door and A-pillar and finally just stands up like "WTF?" and watches me go by. i don't know if it worked or if he just decided to let me go. I've drove from Longview to Houston and Houston to DFW and DFW to longview and I've only picked up laser in downtown Houston, and in the Woodlands and in DFW.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
the question wasn't about a laser detector, it was about a laser jammer (specifically the Blinder M20). if you have a laser jammer, it doesn't matter how close/far away you are, as it will jam the laser signal being sent back to the cop, and prevent them from being able to tell how fast you're going (assuming it works the way it is advertised).
Actually not quite.

The cops have a $15,000 piece of electronics and yours cost a few hundred, can we guess who has more power and technology? You can fool at a distance but once you are within a couple hundred feet their gun has more power than your jammer and can easily win. (Assuming the jammer is legit and not some flea market copy of a good one)

You are buying a window of time to slam on the brakes and scrub off the excess speed before they get a lock on you, just like a radar detector does if you're following another car.

In Britian the jammers are illegal so they only jam once on purpose just to buy you that 2 second time to jam the brakes. The second time they turn off so the cop isn't supposed to get suspicious. (things you learn watching Fifth Gear on Speed channel)
Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
....they will hide around bends in the road behind concrete pillars & such, just waiting to pop you with the laser. but out in the open (highways), they are more likely to be seen well before you are within range of the laser, so they will most likely to resort to radar.
That's not exactly true either. LIDAR (laser) is very sensitive to off-axis aiming and must have a nearly straight shot at the target to read correctly. It is also a heavy piece of equipment that must be mounted on a stationary base (i.e. it can't be mounted inside a patrol car). That means that LIDAR traps are set up on relatively straight sections of road using a tripod-type mounting base. One of the more common scenarios is having the laser gun set up on an overpass over a straight section of highway with the chase vehicles parked behind the overpass (out of sight).

You will almost never encounter laser on busy city streets - they are too expensive and difficult to set up for the limited income that would be generated. Besides, in the city there are plenty of other radar sources to cover up their radar signal. The expense and limited traffic also mean you will seldom encounter LIDAR in the open country. The most common place for its use is on interstates and other limited access highways in and around cities.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish you guys lived in the tampa area, it seems like all the police departments around here do is **** away money trying to catch speeders. Every time I drive into tampa I see at least one cop that has a laser gun and is sitting on the side of the road aiming people up. I think almost every cop in the area has a damn laser gun. Its rediculous, glad I got rid of my old truck, they dont seem to bother me in the 2500.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
...That's not exactly true either. LIDAR (laser) is very sensitive to off-axis aiming and must have a nearly straight shot at the target to read correctly. It is also a heavy piece of equipment that must be mounted on a stationary base (i.e. it can't be mounted inside a patrol car). That means that LIDAR traps are set up on relatively straight sections of road using a tripod-type mounting base. One of the more common scenarios is having the laser gun set up on an overpass over a straight section of highway with the chase vehicles parked behind the overpass (out of sight)...

that's basically what i meant to say....i know that laser is dependent on a straight line of sight. when i said "around bends in the road", i was thinking along the lines of there being a bend in the road such that you cannot see what's coming up, due to there being a bunch of concrete pillars, or a wall (such as in houston, you guys know what i'm talking about), and as soon as you go around that bend, there's the cop set up with the laser aiming straight at you. but yes, the overpass thing is the same concept as going around a blind bend, only turned 90° off-axis, as you can't see what's coming over that hill until it's too late.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a blinder laser jammer?