Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Check these 2 ohm Inifinty Kappa Components!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check these 2 ohm Inifinty Kappa Components Front Replacements!

Infinity 6-1/2" Components

Soooo I was thinking these might be a good match for door replacements on the Firebird Monsoons... 2 ohm woofers and 2 ohm tweeters, although I thought I saw somewhere that the tweeters ran straight off the headunit at 4 ohm? Tweeters are pretty small so I doubt it would overload the HU... but y'all would know better than me...

Woofer - 90 watts RMS @ 2 ohm
Tweeter - 50 watts RMS @ 2 ohm

You stereo buffs think these could work?

Last edited by txhorns281; 06-12-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 06-05-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Like a Great Option. Should work out nicely. The effeciency is pretty High also.

Now here I think I say that I keep Finding Conflicting Information on the Monsoon system. I keep Finding in the 2 long threads in the FAQ that the Camaro and Firebird both have 2ohm, woofer and 4 ohm tweeter.

From this sire here it say's that the Camaro uses a 4ohm tweeter, 2 ohm woofer; but that the Firebird has 4 ohm woofers and tweeters.

Any one near the Killeen area has a Stock Monsoon I want check this out further. I can't seem to get solid info on the Speakers. Everyone agree's that the Subs are 2 ohms though.

Here is a Site that has Conflicting Info from what this site says.

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/index.htm

I'm going to get ahold of Brain and see what he says. The Diagrams from the Factory say's 4ohm's so that is better info than anything else I found.

The Camaro is what I can't get good info on.

Last edited by Richiec77; 06-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha! This reminds me of an argument over in the PCM section about SVO injector flow!

Well, every source I've touched on leads me to believe it's a 2 ohm woofer, 4 ohm tweeter. But direct confirmation would be more comforting!

Does any see any potential problems running a 2 ohm load off the stock headunit then considering it's "supposed" to be a 4 ohm channel?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now this is gonna **** some people off...

http://members.aol.com/kustomz28/Fir...ebirdInfo.html

EVERYTHING's 4 OHM ON THE BIRDS!!!

At least they mentioned DVC for the sail panels!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right. I keep finding Conflicting Info. Not sure if were the info was obtained either. The only Way to verify this is to pull the Panels and measure the Speakers fot the Re.

I started a thread to ask someone to do this and how, or I can do it if someone has a system for me to look at. I want to either verify that all the info is correct, or set the record straight.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

i have my stock speakers stting in my room for my T/A. the sail speakers are dual 4 ohm as it says on the back, bridged or whatever to 2 ohm. The door speakers don't say, but i know that the 4ohm exelon speakers i have now in the doors are not near as loud as the stockers. i had to change my fade to front bias to equal it out. i also have a set of camaro front door speakers and they are 2 ohm, says on the speaker back. hope this helps
Old 06-05-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txhorns281
...Tweeters are pretty small so I doubt it would overload the HU... but y'all would know better than me...

haha, ever heard the saying "size doesn't matter, it's how you use it"? that's what this statement brings to mind for me.

the physical size of the speaker doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the actual impedance of the speaker. if you connect a speaker (of any physical size) having a nominal impedance of 2 ohms to an amp that is only designed to handle 4ohms, you're gonna end up screwing something up (or at least putting the amp into protection mode). you never want to connect a speaker to any amp or head unit that has an impedance lower than what it can handle, regardless of the size.

if the people who say that the front tweeters are 4ohms are correct, and you connect a 2ohm tweeter to that head unit, you're asking for trouble.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
haha, ever heard the saying "size doesn't matter, it's how you use it"? that's what this statement brings to mind for me.

the physical size of the speaker doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the actual impedance of the speaker. if you connect a speaker (of any physical size) having a nominal impedance of 2 ohms to an amp that is only designed to handle 4ohms, you're gonna end up screwing something up (or at least putting the amp into protection mode). you never want to connect a speaker to any amp or head unit that has an impedance lower than what it can handle, regardless of the size.

if the people who say that the front tweeters are 4ohms are correct, and you connect a 2ohm tweeter to that head unit, you're asking for trouble.
Ok, then my next question is, could I throw an inline resistor or something to help bring the current down to what it should be?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i have my stock speakers stting in my room for my T/A. the sail speakers are dual 4 ohm as it says on the back, bridged or whatever to 2 ohm. The door speakers don't say, but i know that the 4ohm exelon speakers i have now in the doors are not near as loud as the stockers. i had to change my fade to front bias to equal it out. i also have a set of camaro front door speakers and they are 2 ohm, says on the speaker back. hope this helps

Ok. That helps alot.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
Ok. Do you have a Multimeter???

If so test for the Resistance by measuring for Ohms accross the leads. That will give you a close figure. Say roughly 1.8-2.4ohms for a 2ohm speaker and 3.3-4.6 for a 4ohm speaker.

I appreciate the Help. I'm just making sure that we all have the right info.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

ill try that when i get back from the powertour on sat
Old 06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested... any idea of when these are going to be available?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm interested... any idea of when these are going to be available?
They already are.... Check out ebay. You can get em for ~$160+ shipping

Not too shabby for a pretty nice speaker that will actually work! And after discussing resistance loads with some others, I believe the tweeters ought to work out nicely, and maybe even be more audible.

The stock tweeter is a 4 ohm unit (I measured 5 ohms personally, but that's much closer to 4 than 2) which means the channel off the HU that powers it is most like 4 ohm as well. Now since high frequencies don't draw nearly as much current as lows, running a 2 ohm load with these 2 ohm infinity tweeters should be ok. Yes it will increase current to the tweeter, and yes it will work the HU a bit more, but the implications are that the HU will more than likely be able to sustain the load with ease, and you will also increase the output of your highs with the lower resistance.

Now, i'm no ultra-expert about this all so if anyone sees any fundamental flaws here, speak up!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Sounds good to me... Yeah, I didn't even think to check ebay. I typed in the model number on google and only found it available in the UK, but I put in a space and found them all over ebay.

I may try a set and see what happens.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

I can`t answer what the Ohm reading coming through the speaker wire is, but I can say that my 01 T/A with the factory Monsoon system had 4 Ohm woofers and tweeters in the doors and 2 Ohm woofers in the sail panels. It`s stamped on the magnets. I know all this cause I replaced the factory crappy sounding stereo with better components.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

What chain stores carry Infinity? I'm not too keen on buying off Ebay after getting burned a time or two.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by makoshark
I can`t answer what the Ohm reading coming through the speaker wire is, but I can say that my 01 T/A with the factory Monsoon system had 4 Ohm woofers and tweeters in the doors and 2 Ohm woofers in the sail panels. It`s stamped on the magnets. I know all this cause I replaced the factory crappy sounding stereo with better components.
That's interesting, I pulled out all my stock speakers and here's the breakdown:

Door woofer : 2 ohm single coil
Door tweeter: 4-5 ohm single
Sail Panel woofer: 4 ohm, dual voice coil (runs like at 2 ohm)

The woofers had the respective above listed loads stamped on the back too. Difference b/w 2000 and 2001???
Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

ttt, any opinions on whether or not you can run 2 ohm tweets off your head unit?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schon
ttt, any opinions on whether or not you can run 2 ohm tweets off your head unit?
I would repeat myself but then I'd be repeating myself... The "others" were mods of this section, whom I hope ought to know what they are talking about (I'm sure they do... )

Not too shabby for a pretty nice speaker that will actually work! And after discussing resistance loads with some others, I believe the tweeters ought to work out nicely, and maybe even be more audible.

The stock tweeter is a 4 ohm unit (I measured 5 ohms personally, but that's much closer to 4 than 2) which means the channel off the HU that powers it is most like 4 ohm as well. Now since high frequencies don't draw nearly as much current as lows, running a 2 ohm load with these 2 ohm infinity tweeters should be ok. Yes it will increase current to the tweeter, and yes it will work the HU a bit more, but the implications are that the HU will more than likely be able to sustain the load with ease, and you will also increase the output of your highs with the lower resistance.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I got these puppies installed and DEFINITELY much more clarity than the stockers! I was hearing sounds from the same CD I listen to everyday that I never heard before! Pretty cool stuff...

I used the factory crossover and harnesses too, just soldered in a couple connections and I was very pleased with the sound! Coupled with the Infinity sail replacements I was talking about in my other thread, you can crank it up quite a bit and maintain crisp sound. The install on the fronts did not require any other hardware, just bolted em right in. The fit on the bolt circle was a teeny bit tight, but easily manageable.

Altogether I'd say I lost some low frequencies, I think the bass is much more focused though, and creates more of a hit, but it's a very tight hit. It doesn't fill the car with bass, I guess cuz the sound isn't just flooding out of some crappy stock speaker.

I'm happy though, I'm not a bumpin fanatic, I let my motor do the bumpin... lol I might look at an 8" sub one day though....