Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

alarm goes off after unlocking door with key?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Problem!

okay guys this is a wierd question.

When I unlock my car(with a key no keyless entry present) if I dont hurry and get the other key in the ignition the alarm goes off??? Why??? How???/
Its quite annoying any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

does it to me too... only happens when the alarm is on, and i shut the door without turning on the car first... its trying to prevent people from picking locks...
Old 03-25-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

If you lock your door's with the power lock it will arm the alarm. Then once you open the door you only have a few second's to get your key in the ignition before it goe's off. Just use the manual slide lock on the car door to lock your door's and you won't arm the alarm.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look in your manual , there is a way to change this setting, I think the default is like 8 Seconds and it will sound, you can set it to instantly, or I think you can turn it off all together.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought all LS1s came w/ keyless entry? If you're just missing the key fob, you can go to a dealership and get one for ~$60 programmed. It's worth it just to set off your alarm when kids/cats are near your car.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, there is way to change the settings so it doesnt set the alarm by pressing the power lock button. If your tight on cash I'd just change the settings until you get a key fob, or just buy a new one. Obviously if you have an alarm, you should have a key fob.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

but how do you change the settings. i dont have a owners man. cuz one of these days my fob is gonna get wet..,crushed dead battery, lost as my luck will have it
Old 03-26-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can download an owners manual at http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a keyless entry fob from ebay for about half what it would cost at the dealer. It took less than a week to get it and all I had to do was put a new battery in it. I've never had one before and it's taking a little getting used to, but I enjoy having it.

The instructions in the online manual are easy to understand and follow. Be sure you read through it a couple of times and decide what options you want to program. I did this about a month ago and have been quite pleased with the results. I turned my alarm off altogether this time of year because I drive the truck a lot and the car sits for a month at a time. I'll reprogram the alarm back on soon when I get around to it.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory setting is 8 seconds to get the key in the ignition and to "On" before the alarm goes off. Rather than spending the money to get the transmitter and program it, I just bought an aftermarket system that has shock sensors and all kinds of gadgets with it. Well worth it.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock 98+ cars came with shock sensors as well.

I'll see what I can do about scanning in the pages from my manual for my car, there's a crapload of different settings for our cars to custom tailor the alarm system the way you want it.

Also, you can get the fob at the dealership without having to program it, should save you a bit if you code it to your system yourself, just requires a few easy steps which I'm sure can be found with a search.

Quick Reply: alarm goes off after unlocking door with key?