Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want a full system NEWB!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a full system NEWB!!!

Ok so now that i have m cars ready to go, the trans am needs some sound. and not jsut from the exhaust.

I'm looking to upgrade the stock monsoon system, completely, all new speakers, tweeters and amp.... then get the t-top box w/ 2 12's

Problem is i dont know what to get. I dont care to be best of show, just want a good sound that cna be heard clearly from a good sized distance.

So total that would be 10 speakers. So how many amps will i need? I was planning to use just 2 but i think i may need more what would be a good upgrade maybe go to a 1000 watt amp to the speakers themselves.

I was thinking of upgrading to the setup in the FAQ section but the Alpine 6.5's are 40 w RMS and i know i'd need more w/ the aftermarket amp. how should i do this? Any recommendations, part numbers to take itno account. I like Alpine alot, i hear good thinkgs of Cadence, Kole, Memphus, Infiniti as well, but iw as looking for all Alpine since i am getting the head unit.

I'm sorry i'm very complicated but i am a newb and need to get off on the right foot and almost be told what to do. I'm not looking for the show sto;ppper 155 db's or anythin....Thank you very much
Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

would it be possible to run a 6 channel amp for the tweets, fronts, mids and then have a 4 channel for the subs and rears or is that a bad thing to have the subs hooked up to the same amp as some speakers?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be something like this:

Two sets of Focal Polykevlar components, and Alpine CDA-9855 Head Unit, Something like an ARC Audio 4150XKK 4 channel amp, 1500XKK Mono amp and a single Image Dynamics IDMax 12" (trust me, it'll be enough).
Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

OK, alot of people do this one of two ways. You can add new speakers in the doors, high end components like mb quart or focal. Then power them with one two channel amp, and use another dedicated sub amp for your 12s.
The other way is to put some decent comps in your doors, and get a set of coaxs to replace the sail panel speakers, and power all of them with a 4 channel amp. Then again add a dedicated sub amp for your 12s.
As far as brands go there is so much stuff out there that you really have to go to some audio shops and listen to different speakers and amps and decide for yourself what sounds the best to you.
I can throw a few names at you that alot of people seem to have had good luck with. Speakers: MB Quart, Focal, Diamond Audio, Alpine, Pioneer, Infinity, Polk. Amps: Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Jl Audio, Kicker, Sound Stream, Kenwood. These are in no particular order.
I personally have Infinity Kappas in my doors and sails, a Jl Audio sub, Two Rockford amps, and a Kenwood H/U. Your brands don't have to match, the stuff just has to sound good to you. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive read some very good arguments for not putting speakers in the rear hatch panel spots, when doing aftermarket speakers, i cant find the link
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1 pioneer 5800 head unit, 4 pioneer 240 watt 6 3/4s, 1 kicker 930 watt 5 channel amp, 1 kicker 900 watt solo baric, 3-4 hours install time, i ran all new wires....sounds 10 times better than stock. also running new speaker wire to all 4 was not that difficult, just time consuming. btw, unlpug the hatch speakers, there not needed. let me know if you all have any questions.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jwhert
ive read some very good arguments for not putting speakers in the rear hatch panel spots, when doing aftermarket speakers, i cant find the link
pretty simple...

the whole idea behind superior sound quality is reproducing a live performance...where, everything comes from the front...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

i was looking to use the Alpine CDA-9847 for the red not looking really for TOP dollar everything jsut something nice. I know this head unit is mp3 WMA and satellite ready. JL audio makes a 6 channel amp that i found. retails 499 but i can get it for around 300. If i run 2 amps how many channels each? i may have missed it but would something be rong w/ setting a 4 channel amp up to the 2 subs and 2 rear speakers?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, you coming out with us this weekend? If so, we'll talk about a system then, I had the full nine yards in mine before I stripped it.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

maybe im working alot
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

How many channels depends on your set-up. It is generally a good idea to have a seperate sub amp, they are more efficient (class D). However a six channel amp would be easier to hook up than two amps.
If you only have two speakers in your doors, then you would need a two channel amp for them, and a class d mono amp for your subs. You can also use a four channel amp hooking the front two channels to your doors, and bridging the back two channels to power your subs. (assuming your amp is bridgeable).
If you have four speakers you would use a four channel amp to power them, and a seperate mono amp for your subs, or you could get a five or six channel amp.
It all depends on how you want to set things up. You have to consider a few things, how many ohms your subs will be, how many ohms your amps are stable at, and how many speakers you will be running. You really can't get too specific of an answer until you you decide how you are going to do things.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, here is another idea for you to throw around, get the BEST set of component speakers you can affford for the fronts and a GOOD 4 channel amp, forget about the rear speakers because honestly, if you do the front speakers correctly, u will not even hear the rear ones. the ONLY reason i would have rear speakers would be if you carry passengers OR had a dolby 5.1 surround sound setup in yoru car. even then, just power them off of the headunit, dont waste time and money dedicating an amp to rear speakers. ok, now you ask why i say a 4 channel amp? because you can bridge the rear channels to power a sub. this is the setup i wish i had gone with sometimes because you can literally put the amp where the spare tire used to be, a stealthbox on the other side in the trunk, and look COMPLETELY stock, outside of teh headunit. but seriously man, GOOD front components and a GOOD 10" sub is ALL u need in an Fbody, good luck!!

EDIT: i didnt read all of the post before me, sorry for double posting the idea of the 4channel!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

first thin g i would do if i were you is to figure out if you like rear fill or not.... some people love it and some hate it....i personally like it quite a bit and some audio peeps hate it....after that go to a audio shop and see what speakers you like....spend most on your front speakers and if you like rear fill get some decent ones for the back, of course a 4 channel amp for the two sets if you went with front and rear and only 2 if you got front only...sub amp depends on the subs you get and what you want/have room for....just dont forget to set a realistic budget... and in that budget dont forget all the wire and accy's you will need for such system...i often see people budget like $20 for install accy's... on the system i am setting up for my ws6 not including anything but wire and installation accy's i have spent $380 and that was on ebay.... just make sure your happy with what you get....