Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Roof Console

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Roof Console

I wanted to get a roof console fabricated for switches and other types of electronics (fiberglassed in). Have any suggestions on what i should put into the roof console besides switches??? (XM Radio, Sirius, LCD screen, Lights, etc...) and how about an interesting setup?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SPM and EBS buttons. phone controls, etc.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radio removable face plate (remote location from head unit)
See I beleve it's Meissenation or something for a member. . .

Could be wrong. . .but whom ever it was, they put their faceplate into the visor above driver. . .was COOL!

Confirmed it. . .

http://carpc.meissenation.com/module...=article&sid=5

Last edited by Duffster; 04-14-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Lightbulb

Interesting Idea...I was actually thinking about taking out the visors (I don't use them.) And Making a kind of Fiberglass "T" shape roof console. The console would take up part of the area where the visors are. I would install "__Insert_Noun Here___" on the drivers side and a Navigation Screen on the Passenger side (for the navigator/passenger) where the visors would traditionally be..

For the forward middle area of the Console, i'm thinking about f'glassing a XM Radio module and fancy Radar/Laser Detector (of course)....

For the middle of the T-top area i'd line a bunch of illuminated switches and maybe something else...The Satellite Weather is kinda expensive, but totally do-able....

Any Words of Critique???

Last edited by ProjectKronos; 04-17-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

fiberglassed t-panel with motorized pop-down faceplate. . . .in the center. . .
Old 04-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a GPS up there.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Duffster
Radio removable face plate (remote location from head unit)
See I beleve it's Meissenation or something for a member. . .

Could be wrong. . .but whom ever it was, they put their faceplate into the visor above driver. . .was COOL!

Confirmed it. . .

http://carpc.meissenation.com/module...=article&sid=5

I would have fiberglassed that to make it look a lot better.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
SPM and EBS buttons. phone controls, etc.
Super Pursuit Mode and Emergency Braking System? Good call.

The guy who made my dash/nose/scanner for my Knight Rider conversion make a upper console for 4th gens as well. It's basically the Knight Rider upper console customized for 93-02s. Call it "Knight Inspired". Check out some of his work here. --> http://adiautotech.com/4thgen/index.htm He has it just a shell or totally customized. Ordering the empty shell would be an idea. Instead of the compass/tire psi, put in an XM radio.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Super Pursuit Mode and Emergency Braking System? Good call.

The guy who made my dash/nose/scanner for my Knight Rider conversion make a upper console for 4th gens as well. It's basically the Knight Rider upper console customized for 93-02s. Call it "Knight Inspired". Check out some of his work here. --> http://adiautotech.com/4thgen/index.htm He has it just a shell or totally customized. Ordering the empty shell would be an idea. Instead of the compass/tire psi, put in an XM radio.

Very cool but ridiculous to pay over $200 when it doesn't even come finished with the vacuum formed vinyl !
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Very cool but ridiculous to pay over $200 when it doesn't even come finished with the vacuum formed vinyl !
Hey, you're preaching to the choir on expensive parts. LOL. Customizing cars sure ain't cheap. But it looks damn good. Those people who do take the time to fabricate there own products as seen earlier in this thread are certainly saving some coin by doing it themselves.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default KARR Conversion...

89KARR:

Nice Replica...looks real good....i'm doing the same thing with my 2001 T/A, updating the whole idea, you kno...anyway....nice car
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Hey, you're preaching to the choir on expensive parts. LOL. Customizing cars sure ain't cheap. But it looks damn good. Those people who do take the time to fabricate there own products as seen earlier in this thread are certainly saving some coin by doing it themselves.

Yeah I know. I used to live near Mark's Custom KITTs and I know those guys have to produce on a pretty small scale so everything is done by hand causing the work hours (aka cost) in each product to be sky high.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Yeah I know. I used to live near Mark's Custom KITTs and I know those guys have to produce on a pretty small scale so everything is done by hand causing the work hours (aka cost) in each product to be sky high.
Yep, I have Mark's steering wheel. Out of the mold was the way I purchased it. $400 out of the mold and $800 sanded and painted. If you know how to finish these products, it saves a ton of money. But some people just want it done and/or don't have the knowledge on how to do it. I had my body guy sand/paint it while the car was being painted. The dash and electronics are all hand made as well.

Sometimes I think if Don and Mark started making custom parts for 4th gens that were not directly looking like Knight Rider parts, a ton of business would roll in. Of course, a shitload more people own a 4th gen and want to customize it than people looking to make a Knight Rider conversion.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Yep, I have Mark's steering wheel. Out of the mold was the way I purchased it. $400 out of the mold and $800 sanded and painted. If you know how to finish these products, it saves a ton of money. But some people just want it done and/or don't have the knowledge on how to do it. I had my body guy sand/paint it while the car was being painted. The dash and electronics are all hand made as well.

Sometimes I think if Don and Mark started making custom parts for 4th gens that were not directly looking like Knight Rider parts, a ton of business would roll in. Of course, a shitload more people own a 4th gen and want to customize it than people looking to make a Knight Rider conversion.
True I talked to him about making a piece where an LS1 Trans-Am owner could use a template to cut out the center divider on the bumper (what looks like a ram-air opening but is not) and then put a piece of satin black molded plastic over it (similar to what the 5.0 guys do when they install a Cobra insert).

This would simply create a great opening to put a KITT light IMO.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

That's quite interesting...do you have any pictures of an example of this to support your theory? I've been trying to get in touch with someone who could do something like that...i've been told to do that with fibreglass, they would have to make a cast and mold of the whole forward bumper and recreate the whole thing....and that would be expensive. Not saying I prefer cheapness over quality...just interested to know of a better way...with the quality...
Old 04-17-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Actually, if you follow the previous link I posted, --> http://adiautotech.com/4thgen/index.htm , he made a nose for a 93-97 all by hand. He has a 98 Trans Am for a daily driver. When I picked up my 2000, he was making a comment about making a custom bumper for the LS1s. I'm assuming he was going to have a scanner cutout. But what exactly are you looking for in the bumper? Just filling in the nostril holes for a more solid look?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

anyone ever look at using somthing like off an 1995 to 1997 Chevy Suburban or F150 truck..
Old 04-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProjectKronos
That's quite interesting...do you have any pictures of an example of this to support your theory? I've been trying to get in touch with someone who could do something like that...i've been told to do that with fibreglass, they would have to make a cast and mold of the whole forward bumper and recreate the whole thing....and that would be expensive. Not saying I prefer cheapness over quality...just interested to know of a better way...with the quality...
Yeah, there was a guy from Jerusalem on Ebay who makes NICE scanners and he was going to custom make a scanner to fit that opening since the ones they sell would NEVER clear the hood.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BitViper
anyone ever look at using somthing like off an 1995 to 1997 Chevy Suburban or F150 truck..
DAMMIT MAN! ! !

STOP giving me BAD ideas! ! !
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

found this

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...t=126&ei=UTF-8

Quick Reply: Roof Console