Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions about changing HU

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about changing HU

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I swear I have never found a straight answer for it:

I bought a aftermarket HU (Panasonic 8401) and I'm going to replace the stock HU from my monsoon system. My question is, as far as wiring goes, what do I need? I want to retain the factory speaker/amp system.

I was given the antenna adapter, mounting kit, and wire harness at the stereo shop. The wire harness i was given was a metra "corvette amp integration" harness (PN 70-2004). It is the one with the 2 sets of RCAs coming out of it and i don't even know if this is the right one.

The guy there told me it would work on monsoon systems, the only thing is that when it activated the amp (when turning on, changing tracks, etc) it would make a pop or click. Does anyone if this is true?? If so, i would like to look at other alternatives as i dont want to hear a pop or click everytime i change a track or whatever.

One thing i was thinking of was the PAC device (PN ROEM-GM21). Does anyone know if this works or if it is any good??? Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Brundle
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I swear I have never found a straight answer for it:

I bought a aftermarket HU (Panasonic 8401) and I'm going to replace the stock HU from my monsoon system. My question is, as far as wiring goes, what do I need? I want to retain the factory speaker/amp system.

I was given the antenna adapter, mounting kit, and wire harness at the stereo shop. The wire harness i was given was a metra "corvette amp integration" harness (PN 70-2004). It is the one with the 2 sets of RCAs coming out of it and i don't even know if this is the right one.

The guy there told me it would work on monsoon systems, the only thing is that when it activated the amp (when turning on, changing tracks, etc) it would make a pop or click. Does anyone if this is true?? If so, i would like to look at other alternatives as i dont want to hear a pop or click everytime i change a track or whatever.

One thing i was thinking of was the PAC device (PN ROEM-GM21). Does anyone know if this works or if it is any good??? Any help is appreciated.
If you're replacing only the head unit and keeping the amp and speakers then you just need a standard GM aftermarket harness such as the Metra 70-1858 and an antenna adapter. One end of the harness gets wired to your aftermarket head unit and the other end just plugs into the factory radio harness. You should be able to get the harness for about $10 at any auto parts store or maybe even WalMart.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Teching In

really? and this will allow the monsoon amp to turn on and power the speakers?

This is why i was getting confused before, some ppl will say this and other people will say you need a special harness, ie. the one they gave me with the RCA's coming out of it

so and as for the popping/clicking when the monsoon amp is activated, will this happen or this just another load of BS?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

really? and this will allow the monsoon amp to turn on and power the speakers?

This is why i was getting confused before, some ppl will say this and other people will say you need a special harness, ie. the one they gave me with the RCA's coming out of it

so and as for the popping/clicking when the monsoon amp is activated, will this happen or this just another load of BS?
A lot of people are unfamiliar with how the Monsoon system is set up. There is absolutely nothing special about the Monsoon head unit - it's just an ordinary Delco radio with a "Monsoon" sticker on the front. Almost any GM radio will plug right in and work exactly the same. The difference is all in the amp and speakers. The amp takes speaker level input (so RCA connectors are no use) and powers low-impedance speakers. The amp doesn't have a separate turn-on wire like most aftermarket amps. It turns on when it senses signal on the speaker wires from the head unit.

Anyway, when you're replacing the head unit in a Monsoon system it's just like replacing any other GM head unit (except Bose systems). All you need is a mounting kit, an adapter harness, and an antenna adapter. The best way to get the right parts without causing confusion with the guys behind the parts counter is to tell them it's a non-Monsoon system - that's something they understand.

Oh, and the popping noise is another misunderstanding - it doesn't happen. The new radio will work exactly the same way as the original (but will probably sound better).
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another chiming in for agreement. Just a standard GM harness is all you need.

Although it might be worth using that Corvette harness if you can verify the pinouts are the same and it has just integrated a line level converter. That's probably a pretty pricey harness.

I'd highly recommend upgrading your door speakers if you have not done so. Now that you are feeding the monsoon amp a clean signal it can make aftermarket door speakers sound very good. Definitely worth the $70-100 and time for installation - it will be a huge upgrade if the aftermarket deck is already there.

You'll actually have real treble.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Guys, all i can say is: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Its so nice to finally get a straight answer from ppl that have done it and skip past and the know-it-alls

Oh, and btw Toddchi, i got the harness for cheap cause the guy at the counter had messed up on the price and i had already payed for it. But i dont care either way, i just wanted the right one that worked. I will just take it back for the generic GM Metra on if its gonna be the one the works correctly. and in addition, the guy that owned the car before me had already replaced the door speakers and the ones in the hatch (the ones that the HU will be powering). so i dont even have to worry about that.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

The actual part #s are listed in the FAQ stickies, helped me out. I went to the audio shop knowing what #s I wanted, this way they couldn't jerk me around.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

It is amazing how many shops know nothing about the Monsoon and for some reason always associate it with the older Bose systems. All the above responses were 100% correct, nothing special needed. Also, get a Pac Swi-x and you can keep the use of your steering wheel controls. This is for 98-02 models...I tend to forget about the older cars when posting and many never say what year car they have. Add some Infinity 62.7i's in the front doors and you will be very happy with the sound and not have to worry about them falling apart, plus they connect just like stock(most shops don't know this too). Is the only direct replacement speaker available in 2 ohm like stock. The aftermarket HU alone will improve the sound quality and you will have more adustability...if you get the Infinity 62.7i's, buy em off ebay for around $90 shipped and when you put them in, do not use the crossover supplied and just connect them like stock. The headunit on the Camaros power the tweeter in the doors and the far 4inch speakers, so your highs will sound much better since the Panasonic will be sending more power the the tweeters than the stock hu. The Monsoon amp powers the woofer in the doors and the sailpanel subs at 2ohm, so the Monsoon amp doesn't put out any highs, only lows.

Last edited by rotwiler; 04-24-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Once again guys, thanks for all the help.
I went back to the stereo shop yesterday and returned the harness for the metra 70-1858.

I only have one more question remaining (sorry to drag this post on).
I was wondering if I need to tap into other wires or need to find an amplifier remote turn on. I know there is a wire from the metra harness for the amp turn on, however, i wasn't sure if there was one in the car radio side. I saw this Q&A on another web site and it confused me:

8.Where can I find a remote turn-on for the amplifier? (SShevy)
The Monsoon amp doesnt have a remote turn on. It senses current from the speaker inputs to turn the amp on. You can tap an iginition wire somewhere or off of the power antenna. Firebirds are easy enough because the radios already have a remote turn on. Just tap into the pink wire. Camaro radios also have a remote turn on but there is not a wire coming out of the radio for it. Get a connector to fit the radio harness (available from most auto parts stores) and plug your wire into pin #8. This is your remote turn on.

Just in case, here is the site that that post came from: http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html

Could someone please clarify or explain this to me. I want to change the deck tonite and if someone could respond before that, so that i know exactly what i'm doing, it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Once again guys, thanks for all the help.
I went back to the stereo shop yesterday and returned the harness for the metra 70-1858.

I only have one more question remaining (sorry to drag this post on).
I was wondering if I need to tap into other wires or need to find an amplifier remote turn on. I know there is a wire from the metra harness for the amp turn on, however, i wasn't sure if there was one in the car radio side. I saw this Q&A on another web site and it confused me:

8.Where can I find a remote turn-on for the amplifier? (SShevy)
The Monsoon amp doesnt have a remote turn on. It senses current from the speaker inputs to turn the amp on. You can tap an iginition wire somewhere or off of the power antenna. Firebirds are easy enough because the radios already have a remote turn on. Just tap into the pink wire. Camaro radios also have a remote turn on but there is not a wire coming out of the radio for it. Get a connector to fit the radio harness (available from most auto parts stores) and plug your wire into pin #8. This is your remote turn on.

Just in case, here is the site that that post came from: http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html

Could someone please clarify or explain this to me. I want to change the deck tonite and if someone could respond before that, so that i know exactly what i'm doing, it would be much appreciated.
As I had mentioned above, you don't need a remote turn on for the Monsoon amp. Those postings on other sites are for when you're installing an aftermarket amp. The Monsoon amp has power whenever the ignition is on and the amp actually turns on based on receiving input from the head unit. In other words, whenever the head unit sends audio signal on the speaker wires to the Monsoon amp, the amp will turn on automatically without needing a separate wire connection.

So, if you have the wiring harness kit, the antenna adapter, and the mounting kit then you have everything you need to hook up your new head unit.

BTW, welcome to the site. You're not far from where I grew up in Etobicoke and "Scarberia".

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-26-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Your right Whitebird (you did say that b4). I did read that post, I guess I had just forgotten about it. With all the BS i had been told through different stereo shops, my head was spinning.

Thats interesting tho, I guess I had thinking that there was no way for the amp to sense the speakers were on unless it was connected to the deck. I was figuring it would do that through an amp turn on wire. Guess thats what confused me.

Oh, and thanks, its a good board to be on, i love it already. A lot more posting than on z28.com
I think I like it better already. But dont tell anyone there I said that. Haha

Thats cool, I grew up in Scarborough as well, moved east to durham region about 10 years ago. Thats quite the move to Florida. Your lucky tho, you get to keep your car out year round. Mine hibernates for the winter. :-(