Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

think I have my amp connected wronge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default think I have my amp connected wronge?

I think I may have connected my amp up incorrectly to the dual vioce coil MTX sub (road thunder rt-44).

brigded out of the amp then conected to one side of sub then used small jumper wires to the other side of sub + to + -to -

since my amp is a 2 channel should I have used both channels one channel to one side of sub the other channel for the other side of sub?

I'm confussed was expecting much better results?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 04-26-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on if you connected it in series or parallel. If you hooked it up in series, you will be running the amp at 8 ohms, if you hooked it up in parallel, it will be at 2 ohms...... most amps cannot runt bridged at 2 ohms, check the manual, RT series mtx amps cannot handle that kind of load.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

in all honesty the setup that you have will never work out right for best results. You will never be able to maximize that amp with that sub. if you are looking to run only one sub i would have to suggest getting a singl voive coil sub and then bridging the amp to it...

if you want to run two subs, then they both have to be dual voice coil to get max safe power. getting the loads correct is important and it is all in the right combination of parts.
Louie
Old 04-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultraz
depends on if you connected it in series or parallel. If you hooked it up in series, you will be running the amp at 8 ohms, if you hooked it up in parallel, it will be at 2 ohms...... most amps cannot runt bridged at 2 ohms, check the manual, RT series mtx amps cannot handle that kind of load.
on the jumper wires it's + to + & - to - so I'm thinking this is parallel
Old 04-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badmfkr
on the jumper wires it's + to + & - to - so I'm thinking this is parallel
youre correct..do not bridge the amp at that load..that'll show each channel 1ohm, which is too low for that amplifier.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default ohm

I thought it would be a 2 ohm load the way I've connected it?

? if I connect both channels of amp to sub, treating it like 2 speakers will this equal the power to sub compared to being brigded?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

You can check the woofer wiring wizard on the12volt.com, they show diagrams for most common types of set-ups. They will also show combinations depending on the # of woofers and the ohms you are trying to run.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I thought it would be a 2 ohm load the way I've connected it?

? if I connect both channels of amp to sub, treating it like 2 speakers will this equal the power to sub compared to being brigded?
if you have your dual 4ohm sub wired in parallel..you have a final load of 2ohms..If you hook that up to a single channel, the amp sees that 2ohm load. but, when you bridge it each channel will see half of that 2ohm load..1ohm...which is too low for that amp to handle, you'll end up blowing fuses, having it cut out, etc..