Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Aux input for XM unit...FM Modulator didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Aux input for XM unit...FM Modulator didn't work

Well I picked up an XM Roady XT for my Camaro. I bought a Sosche FM Modulator unit figuring I'd get better sound than using the FM transmitter that's built in to the Roady unit. I had to use adaptors to get the GM antenna to the normal size and a reducer to get it back to GM size. I hooked it all up and turned it on with the car off and it had a TON of background noise and sounded horrible. I changed where I had the power and grounds for the modulator and STILL had noise and poor sound. I got mad and yanked it back out and am using the built in FM transmitter of the Roady. Anybody have any other way to get an input for the XM or know why I would have had so much noise? A friend said it was probably from having to use adapters on the antenna leads. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I used a non powered fm modulator in the antenna line (with adaptors) and mine works fine, so you might want to use the non powered one, you might also want to change what station you have the xm on if there's another station on that frequency (or close to it) you'll get bleed over.
You might need to adjust the settings on the roady (take a look at www.xmfan.com for info, or your manual
There is an adapter that integrates the XM into the stock radio, GM AUX-9 is what it's called (IIRC)
There's also another seperate box you can use but it costs around $300
Old 04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

You have to have an XM ready radio to integrate it into a factory head unit from the adaptors I've seen. The frequency isn't the issue. The powered modulator had only two frequencies to pick from and both did the same thing. The built in FM transmitter of the Roady works fine and sounds OK but still not the same as a direct input would. I'm getting annoyed with the sound from the Moonsoon anyways and may just replace the whole thing and solve several problems at once.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GETGONE
You have to have an XM ready radio to integrate it into a factory head unit from the adaptors I've seen. The frequency isn't the issue. The powered modulator had only two frequencies to pick from and both did the same thing. The built in FM transmitter of the Roady works fine and sounds OK but still not the same as a direct input would. I'm getting annoyed with the sound from the Moonsoon anyways and may just replace the whole thing and solve several problems at once.
You only need a CD changer capable radio to use the GM9-AUX adapter. All models from mid-99 up have that capability. The adapter plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the radio and provides RCA jacks for auxiliary input. Granted, it won't let you control the XM radio from the factory radio controls like an XM-ready radio would but it gives you the best sound quality you can get when connecting the Roady to the factory radio.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You only need a CD changer capable radio to use the GM9-AUX adapter. All models from mid-99 up have that capability. The adapter plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the radio and provides RCA jacks for auxiliary input. Granted, it won't let you control the XM radio from the factory radio controls like an XM-ready radio would but it gives you the best sound quality you can get when connecting the Roady to the factory radio.

that is how I have mine set up .. using the GM9-AUX adapter, and a Soundgate AUX3, which allows me to toggle between my Sirius unit, my IPOD, and a third input, which lets me run my laptop, or anythign thing else, if I want to.

the GM9-AUX is a really simple install..
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

From what I had read of the GM9 adapter you needed to have a CD changer attached to make it work. Do you guys already have changers? I don't and don't want to spend another $200 or more just to put something in I'm not going to use.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GETGONE
From what I had read of the GM9 adapter you needed to have a CD changer attached to make it work. Do you guys already have changers? I don't and don't want to spend another $200 or more just to put something in I'm not going to use.
just the changer cable .. your headunit has to have changer control capability. I believe 99 and up do ..

you actually have to unplug your changer, if you have one.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There are two different manufacturers of auxiliary adapters for the GM radios - PAC and PIE. The PAC adapter requires a functioning CD changer in order to add the auxiliary input. The PIE (GM9-AUX) adapter is the opposite - you can't have a changer installed when you use it (just plug the adapter into the changer port and attach your XM radio).
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is how I added XM to my 2001 Formula's stock Monsoon CD headunit. BTW, I don't have the factory CD Changer, but my headunit is capable.
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm