Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro guys: How to Mount Components in Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Camaro guys: How to Mount Components in Doors?

I am in the process of upgrading the stereo on my 99 Z28. I have pretty much scrapped the factory system. I would like to put components in the doors, but I can't figure out a good way to mount the crossover and tweeter. The tweeter looks like it could go on the dash or A-Pillar, but then I am stuck with where to mount the crossover.

Anyone have any advice? Polk has buy one get one 1/2 price through May and I would like to pull the trigger soon. Two sets of Components would be SWEET!

-Geoff
Old 05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted the cross overs in the rear next to the amps and ran all 4 sets of wires to the front. I then mounted the mid bass in the doors and cut a small hole in the kick panels to mount the tweeters. Imaging was pretty good when I kept my foot out of the way.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I mounted my components in the door. I can snap a few photos to show exactly how I have them. They look factory.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pics?? i was thinking about putting the tweeters in the rear. put two ways in the doors, put the mids in the sail panels with the tweeters and a full range in the rear. there's even a spot for the tweeter to go in the back. and you could still mount your cross overs back there too..
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I ever get around to upgrading to coaxials I'd do one of three things:

- Q forms
- Buy used kick panels of ebay and fab the tweeter into them
- Go to Firebird door panels.

Tweets in the pillars are too close, and I'm not so sure about how you'd mount the tweeter in a Camaro door and have it focused and mounted cleanly.

I think Camaro guys are better off with good coaxials unless you are willing to do one of the above things.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Guz
I mounted my components in the door. I can snap a few photos to show exactly how I have them. They look factory.
I'd love to see some pics. That is a good idea about mounting the crossover with the amps. I think that is the way I will go. Good tip on using the spot next to the 4" speaker, too. That would work good with the sail panel speakers. Now I just have to figure out where to put the tweeters up front. I was thinking of the dash right next to the a-pillar.

I really want to stay away from co-ax's. I am a big guy, and get zero treble from the driver door as it is. I think with the tweeters bouncing off the windhield, they will sound awesome.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

-Geoff
Old 05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll definitely hear them but the treble is pretty over-powered for most people that way.

I'd set them up that way with tape or something to take a good listen before you start cutting things up to mount them high.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

I am putting my JL XR650 components in my doors of my Camaro and my tweeters in the "A" Pillars. I was planning on putting my crossovers in the rear next to the amps for easy tunning. Some people say that the tweeters in the "A" Pillars are too bright but my crossovers allow me to decrease the db's (? not the best at this but I'm learning) independantly so I can lower the tweeters if they are too much. Might be a good idea to get a crossover with tuning ability just incase (maybe they all are??).
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camarokidd24
I am putting my JL XR650 components in my doors of my Camaro and my tweeters in the "A" Pillars. I was planning on putting my crossovers in the rear next to the amps for easy tunning. Some people say that the tweeters in the "A" Pillars are too bright but my crossovers allow me to decrease the db's (? not the best at this but I'm learning) independantly so I can lower the tweeters if they are too much. Might be a good idea to get a crossover with tuning ability just incase (maybe they all are??).
i think if you mount them in the A pillars, youll get too much of a seperation. you be able to tell the difference btwn the mids and the tweets. mount them closer together to get the mixing of sound.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry for posting late. But here you go. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how I have them mounted. The drill got away when doing the driver door, but I am the only one who is going to see it.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Q forms or custom kick pannels is best for sound staging imo
Old 05-28-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Guz
Sorry for posting late. But here you go. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how I have them mounted. The drill got away when doing the driver door, but I am the only one who is going to see it.
Those look great, thanks for the pics. That would work to get the speaker above your legs too. Plus, if you mount the crossovers in back you could use the factory wiring. Hmmmmm...

-Geoff
Old 05-28-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good. what kind of tweeters are those?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Launching!

here's an idea. do what i did and just change over to the trans am door panels. they look nicer and there is not any carpet on leather door panels. plus you get an extra cup holder, and theres a stock location for the tweeters.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the Kappa 60.5 compnents that I got a couple of years ago.

-Mike
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2K2CamaroSS

Looks great, different no doubt.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

hate to jack the thread here but when putting in these components which wires are used from the stock monsoon, what wires are put into the level converter, both the mids and the tweets from the front? or do you just run the

mids>level converter>amp>crossover>mids and tweets?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2CamaroSS

i like it, but they look outta place
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 AM
TECH Regular

i mounted my 7" dynaudio woofers in the doors and my tweeters under by your feet next to the kick panel. I have em on plumbers tape mounted and pointing out. Image is great and seems right on top of the dash, i also dont get the harshness. I opted for digital crossovers with my alpine h700 and eliminating the need for mounting crossovers. You can put em though in the kick panels or behind the middle speakers or in the rear speaker areas. all work great.

Quick Reply: Camaro guys: How to Mount Components in Doors?