Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GM9-AUX in my 2001 firebird questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM9-AUX in my 2001 firebird questions

Im insterested in getting the gm9-aux for my firebird. Although i heard from some site that they do not work if your car comes pre-wired for a cd changer input...I have some wires bundled up in the back of my car for if i ever wanted to connect a cd changer..Im not interested in playing more CD"s..I want to listen to my ipod. Is this true? Can i not use gm9-aux if my car has a pre-wired cable for a cd changer or will it work? thanks!!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

can anyone help?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
Im insterested in getting the gm9-aux for my firebird. Although i heard from some site that they do not work if your car comes pre-wired for a cd changer input...I have some wires bundled up in the back of my car for if i ever wanted to connect a cd changer..Im not interested in playing more CD"s..I want to listen to my ipod. Is this true? Can i not use gm9-aux if my car has a pre-wired cable for a cd changer or will it work? thanks!!
I am using the gm9-aux device, to wire my XM directly into my monsoon head unit.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking, but the xm9 works by plugging itself into the cd-changer 9-pin port on the back of the monsoon head unit. The gm9 will go inline with the cd-changer wiring harness - but if you have a cd-changer, it wont be usable! The in-dash cd-player will work just fine.

I didnt realize the changer cant be used in this manner when I was setting it all up. Fortunetly for me, I didnt want to use the changer anyway. No big deal, but I dont think PIE makes that very clear to us before we dive in.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

tmc2k1:
All 98+ f-bodies came pre-wired for the CD-Changer regardless of whether or not they were actually equiped with the changer.

Michael02hawk:
Do you have the stock CD-Changer? The GM9-AUX (I have one as well, but no stock CD-Changer) does have a passthrough for the stock CD-Changer and pressing the "CD/Play" button on a 2001+ headunit should cycle between the In-Dash CD-Player, GM9-AUX, and stock CD-Changer. But since I dont have the stock CD-Changer, I cannot confirm this. What I can confirm is that the Monsoon's display registers the GM9-AUX as a CD-Changer on track 1 of disk 1.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

vip so this will definetly work on my 01 bird?

Also do u know anywhere i can get this for $60 shipped? I find everything like $75 shipped..so expensive for this adapter..thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

vip so this will definetly work on my 01 bird?
Do you have the stock CD-Changer or care about it? If you answered "no" then it wil definately work. If you answered "yes" then it will work, but you may lose use of the stock CD-Changer (it should still work since there is a passthrough in the GM9-AUX, but I dont have the stock CD-Changer to confirm it).

Also do u know anywhere i can get this for $60 shipped? I find everything like $75 shipped..so expensive for this adapter..thanks
I dont know where to get it cheaper besides eBay. I bought mine from www.myradiostore.com (I dont really trust eBay).
Old 07-11-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=VIP1]Do you have the stock CD-Changer or care about it? If you answered "no" then it wil definately work. If you answered "yes" then it will work, but you may lose use of the stock CD-Changer (it should still work since there is a passthrough in the GM9-AUX, but I dont have the stock CD-Changer to confirm it).QUOTE]

Unfortunetly, you WILL LOSE the ability to use your stock CD changer.

Even tho it is a pass thru, the head unit is unable to control the changer once this GM9-AUX is in place.

By pushing the CD\Play button, you'll cycle through built-in CD, the AUX deviced you added, and a 3rd device (if plugged into the factory CD-Changer harness).

That 3rd device must have the ability to be controled above & beyond the Factory head unit. So, an aftermarket/stand alone changer would work (you'd mount its wired or wireless control device elsewhere).

I know its wierd, but thats how it works.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael02hawk]
Originally Posted by VIP1
Do you have the stock CD-Changer or care about it? If you answered "no" then it wil definately work. If you answered "yes" then it will work, but you may lose use of the stock CD-Changer (it should still work since there is a passthrough in the GM9-AUX, but I dont have the stock CD-Changer to confirm it).QUOTE]

Unfortunetly, you WILL LOSE the ability to use your stock CD changer.

Even tho it is a pass thru, the head unit is unable to control the changer once this GM9-AUX is in place.

By pushing the CD\Play button, you'll cycle through built-in CD, the AUX deviced you added, and a 3rd device (if plugged into the factory CD-Changer harness).

That 3rd device must have the ability to be controled above & beyond the Factory head unit. So, an aftermarket/stand alone changer would work (you'd mount its wired or wireless control device elsewhere).

I know its wierd, but thats how it works.
Sorry...no, that's not correct. There is only one aftermarket changer available that can be connected to the factory head unit (the NEOchanger) using the factory cable and the head unit sees it as a factory changer - it can't tell the difference.

The pass-thru port on the GM9-AUX can't be used on a 2000-model because the head unit isn't capable of controlling more than one external device (in this case the iPod). The 01 and newer models were capable of controlling more than one device so the pass-thru port of the GM9-AUX can be used to retain the factory changer as well as connect an auxiliary device.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The 01 and newer models were capable of controlling more than one device so the pass-thru port of the GM9-AUX can be used to retain the factory changer as well as connect an auxiliary device.
I have an 2002 Trans AM, and I was unable to make the stock CD-Changer work using the pass-thru on the GM9-AUX.

Its possible my head unit was 'older stock' from GM, or my GM9-AUX had an issue. but in any case, I could not control the changer with the radio controls.

I guess one would have to buy the part, install it, and test it out for thier setup.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I have an 2002 Trans AM, and I was unable to make the stock CD-Changer work using the pass-thru on the GM9-AUX.

Its possible my head unit was 'older stock' from GM, or my GM9-AUX had an issue. but in any case, I could not control the changer with the radio controls.

I guess one would have to buy the part, install it, and test it out for thier setup.
Interesting...on my 2000 I tried it with the expectation that it wouldn't work. It actually worked...sort of. The problem was that the head unit couldn't distinguish between the two external devices - both would play at the same time (and sound awful). However, when I turned off the satellite radio I was able to use the factory changer just as though the GM9-AUX adapter wasn't there. All the controls worked and the sound quality was unaffected by the adapter so I know the pass-thru port can handle a factory changer.

I have never actually tried it in a newer model myself, but I've seen posts from people who have been able to retain their changer after adding the adapter to an 01 or 02 f-body. Also, the PIE application guide says "GM radios 2000 and earlier are not capable of controlling two units; therefore, these radios will need to have the slave unit disconnected". I'm surprised it didn't work in your 02.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-12-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hhmm, thats good into to know.

Most likely, my radio (in the 2002 model year) is up to pare,
but its possible my glitch could be in the GM9-Aux....like a firmware revision of some sort.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet thats my problem, becuase anytime my battery is disconnected, my system will not play the sound comming from the XM unit. I have to simply wait, anywhere from 15 mins, upto a few days, before it magically decides to work. Once it decided to work, It'll contnue to send the audio signal right through no matter what I do (turn off the sat, xm, car, ect).

...thats it'll work until the battery is dos-connected again, then it's the same bs for 15mins - a few days.

I'll have to check out my AUX unit.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Having a DIFFICULT time making the GM9-AUX adapter work in my 2001 WS6 Trans Am with Monsoon. No factory 6 disc installed. PAC converter does nothing no matter what i do. I try different positions on the 3 way switch and nothing. I try pressing play/cd twice and nothing. The radio I have is a monsoon single disc HU. It does have wires hooked up in the back of the HU for external CD/Tape player. I think it is hooked up correctly but nothing happens. Maybe I bought the wrong adapter. I know there are two other adapters but they don't specify if they work on 2001 trans am WS6. Any help would be appreciated. And I am trying this with CD in the HU. Just trying to hook up mp3 player with 3.5 mm jack

Quick Reply: GM9-AUX in my 2001 firebird questions