Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Horible radio reception: advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horible radio reception: advice needed

Hey guys. Ive searched and found many of you have put in aftermarket decks and had poor radio reception afterwards. I had a 10 year old Pioneer CD player in and it worked great. Upgraded to an Alpine deck this year and now my reception sucks. Ive checked the connection at the deck and it seems good. Im running 3 RCA cables, remote and speaker wires on the antenna side of the car. Power and ground on the other side. Anybody have a clue? It seems that guys with Alpines have this problem more than most. I have the same deck in my truck and it works very well. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

I installed a new kenwood deck in the spring, and my reception seemed to get worse as well. I opted to get sirius sat. radio, and IMO was worth every cent. Just my .02.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had horrible reception with the stock deck and switched to a jensen and now have great reception
Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Id suggest getting a noise filter available at most autoparts stores. Sounds like there's some interference, that should help You out.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
Id suggest getting a noise filter available at most autoparts stores. Sounds like there's some interference, that should help You out.

And they make signal boosters tha go inline with the antenna wire
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

did you hook up the power antenna? if its not hooked up or not working correctly it will kill your reception.....also factory decks will always get better reception that aftermarket....in fact you usally dont even pick up AM on an aftermarket. so you can count on a little reception loss but if its bad to where it seems like the antenna is disconnected....make sure you have a good connection, plus you have an antenna adapter make sure its good, and you wont need a noise filter......thats if you have engine noise. if your having poor reception it is due to the antenna or the head unit....i have installed a few decks before that just came that way out of the box and we had to swap it out for another one and it fixed the problem.....but that was also on a less than par brand deck. but anyways there is some advice.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96TransAmM6
did you hook up the power antenna? if its not hooked up or not working correctly it will kill your reception.....also factory decks will always get better reception that aftermarket....in fact you usally dont even pick up AM on an aftermarket. so you can count on a little reception loss but if its bad to where it seems like the antenna is disconnected....make sure you have a good connection, plus you have an antenna adapter make sure its good, and you wont need a noise filter......thats if you have engine noise. if your having poor reception it is due to the antenna or the head unit....i have installed a few decks before that just came that way out of the box and we had to swap it out for another one and it fixed the problem.....but that was also on a less than par brand deck. but anyways there is some advice.
So, You're saying an aftermarket head unit can't pick up engine noise???? What if the wiring and circuitry in the aftermarket head unit aren't insulated as well as a factory one? In theory it is a possibility. But I do have to agree with You about the power antenna connections, because that is the obvious. But I think he already checked that.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

no a head unit can definatly pick up engine noise if installed incorrectly......but, if he is having a problem with reception then engine noise is not the problem. thats all i was saying
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you tape the connection at the mini adapter to standard ant plug on the radio?

Quick Reply: Horible radio reception: advice needed