Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do I need a cap. ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need a cap. ?

Well I think I'm going to buy a Hifonics Zeus ZXI8006 5 channel amp. Do I need a Capacitor ? I haven't installed a system in a few years so I'm rusty.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think you will need a cap. Looks like it's a low power amp. 600 watts rms total. Just make sure you hook the amp to a good solid ground.

I would invest in a deep cycle battery first before ever buying a cap. Caps are marketing. You may have problems running everything at night with the a/c on. 102 amp alternators from the factory don't help. If that's the case, than look at another alternator first. But I don't think you will have any problems.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

From what I understand you only need caps for huge wattage systems. multiple thousands. I run a total of 1100 max, and the rms is obviously lower. I dont have any problems, even after my pullies.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Launching!

If you are gonna be pushing over 600 watts, then yes I would recommend a cap.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
From what I understand you only need caps for huge wattage systems. multiple thousands. I run a total of 1100 max, and the rms is obviously lower. I dont have any problems, even after my pullies.
nope, I run 3500rms.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroSS615
If you are gonna be pushing over 600 watts, then yes I would recommend a cap.
If you can't keep the battery charged, how are you going to charge the cap? You now just created more strain on the charging system.

Marketing, period.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
nope, I run 3500rms.

Nice
Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Restricted User

also around 2800 watts RMS, no cap, stock alternator. Just 2 batteries, but that was done for extended engine off listening.

If you knew the insane amount of markup in a stiffening cap, you'd see why every stereo shop tries to push them.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys. I think I've got another sub so now I'm thinking 1 4 channel amp and 1 larger 2(1) channel for the subs. So what would you guys suggest ?

2 10" Type R in stealth boxes
new door and sail pannel speakers
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no cap.. when i was doing 2000 rms i needed a cap well and still it wasnt good enough.. (last car lol)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Capacitors
Your car amplifier is just one of several components competing for the available power in your vehicle. For this reason, we suggest adding a stiffening capacitor to your car's electrical system. A capacitor (cap) is like a power reservoir delivering current upon demand. A cap is recommended for all medium-to-high power systems.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Restricted User

ofcourse it's recommended. How else is the dealer going to make his 80% profit margin ?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
ofcourse it's recommended. How else is the dealer going to make his 80% profit margin ?

Affirmative! Mike, I couldn't agree with you more, nothing but marketing!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Launching!

Hey man you dont need a cap, but your lights may dim anyways because of the small gauge wires they put in the electrical system from the battery to the starter and such. Some people run a 4 gage wire across all the electrical connections to the battery.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Affirmative! Mike, I couldn't agree with you more, nothing but marketing!
Well everything is about marketing......last I checked, aint no dealer getting rich off caps. Obiviously you know nothing, 2800 watts my ***. I know what they do, I have one. My cap made a difference, probally because it was done by an installer for MTX. Guess how much I paid for mine? Not a damn thing, Oh yeah I forgot, I'll get you doubters some pics of some real car audio set ups, but my question is...Why do the pros use them? Because they know a little bit more than just amps and speakers..Theres just some cheap folks in this world!!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Butta Bing Butta Bang Blang Blang all in ya face! For you that dont know! Why do the REAL car audio ethus. use them?? Answer that one for me!!

http://www.audioinstalls.com/126

http://www.audioinstalls.com/106

http://www.audioinstalls.com/64
Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Restricted User

Obiviously you know nothing, 2800 watts my ***.
are you doubting that my car has 2800 watts worth of amplifiers ???

and obviously, you have no idea who I am and who I work with in designing my car.

Not saying I am an all knowing expert, far from it. But I know enough to know what I'm talking about, and realize the things I don't know.

But as member of one of the largest car audio competition teams, I have the help and support of some of the brightest engineers in the industry, and even they suggested that a cap in my application was pointless.

]Butta Bing Butta Bang Blang Blang all in ya face! For you that dont know! Why do the REAL car audio ethus. use them?? Answer that one for me!!
what constitutes a REAL car audio enthusiast ? Because I know several top competitors that do not use caps, including the current IASCA / USAC Expert level world champion, who has been at the top of his classes for over 5 years now.

As for the markup, I used to work for a dealer. Caps, wire, distribution blocks, etc .. are the big time money makers.

Wow man, I guess we it a nerve.. Didn't think anyone would take the choice to use or not use a cap so personal.

mike
Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
are you doubting that my car has 2800 watts worth of amplifiers ???

and obviously, you have no idea who I am and who I work with in designing my car.

Not saying I am an all knowing expert, far from it. But I know enough to know what I'm talking about, and realize the things I don't know.

But as member of one of the largest car audio competition teams, I have the help and support of some of the brightest engineers in the industry, and even they suggested that a cap in my application was pointless.

what constitutes a REAL car audio enthusiast ? Because I know several top competitors that do not use caps, including the current IASCA / USAC Expert level world champion, who has been at the top of his classes for over 5 years now.

As for the markup, I used to work for a dealer. Caps, wire, distribution blocks, etc .. are the big time money makers.

Wow man, I guess we it a nerve.. Didn't think anyone would take the choice to use or not use a cap so personal.

mike
The man asked a question.....And when someone says caps were made for marketing purposes only, then Yeah I have a problem. I have been fluent in car audio for sometime, and I know how caps work. I was answering the mans question, when someone said caps were for marketing purpose only. I know that is B.S, so yeah I'll stand up for myself. Sorry if I upset you, but I hate being doubted about stuff I know.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't keep the battery charged, how are you going to charge the cap? You now just created more strain on the charging system.

Marketing, period.
QFT
Aside from making a system install look over the top, they are 100% completely unecessary.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

the theory of using a capacitor as a short-term storage vessel is valid, but will give up its charge pretty quickly once the amp(s) draw. Then, your charging system has to 'fill-up' the battery AND the cap.

As to the post of PROs using them, most of the PROs use them because they are tied with a certain manufacturer that happens to sell them, so contractually they need to 'show' them, although if you do ANYTHING in SPL, you will see that NO ONE ACTUALLY USES THEM. I have competed in dB Drag Racing, USAC, and iDBL, and can tell you first-hand that the manufacturers' vehicles that had them installed, didnt have them 'installed' at all - just there for the WOW factor!