Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

shorted left turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shorted left turn signal?

Well, its like this. If I have no lights on, and I make a left signal, my parking lights flash along with it. If I have my lights on, the left turn lights stay on (no blinking). I can't seem to find the switch relay for the lights either. I have the blink relay, but not the switch relay. I already took out all of the bulbs in the rear and no difference. I believe there is a short between the blink relay and the parking light fuse. Ugh I have no idea where to start, especially since I cant find the switch relays.
Any help in any of this would be very appreciated.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First we need to clarify some things to make sure we're on the right track. I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening so let's start with some terminology. Your turn signals (blinkers) don't flash the parking lights - they flash a separate brighter filament in each of the bulbs. There is no turn signal relay (at least not as a separate part) but there is a turn signal flasher under the dash - is that what you meant? The "switch relay" has me stumped - I'm afraid I don't know what you're looking for there. Also, what kind of car do you have (Camaros and Firebirds have slight differences in their wiring)?

A common problem with turn signals on our cars is where one side will flash properly but the other side only goes on solid. If this is the problem then you have a burned out bulb or a corroded socket (most likely at the front because of the way they get water in them). The easy way to find this is to turn on the hazard flashers and then walk around the car looking for the bulb that doesn't flash.

When you say the parking lights flash with your turn signals do you mean all the parking lights on both sides? Because if there were to be a short between the two unrelated systems then it would affect all the lights not just those on one side. However, if you have a Camaro and the just the tail light on the same side as the turn signal is lighting up then you probably have a bad ground at that location causing the turn signal current to seek ground through the parking light bulb.

I'm just guessing at this point. If you post more details we can work on diagnosing the problem.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

wel first off, thanks for the reply.
I have a 2000 Trans-Am LS1 with fog lights.
As I see the schematic in the Haynes manual, it appears that there is a seperate switch relay for each turn signal and one for the hazard, but I suppose that I have to be reading it wrong because there are too many people (like yourself) that advise me to the contrary. So I suppose that isnt it.
Now, when I signal left, all the lights and filaments go on exept for the headlamps themselves.
If I turn on headlights/parking lights, the left signal lights light up (no flashing).
I did (at one point) remove all lights in the rear, and the problems continued.
I removed the rear lights fuse and the problem stopped.
I have some time today to look at it, so I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of your bulbs are burned out. fix it and itll be okay
Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
wel first off, thanks for the reply.
I have a 2000 Trans-Am LS1 with fog lights.
As I see the schematic in the Haynes manual, it appears that there is a seperate switch relay for each turn signal and one for the hazard, but I suppose that I have to be reading it wrong because there are too many people (like yourself) that advise me to the contrary. So I suppose that isnt it.
Now, when I signal left, all the lights and filaments go on exept for the headlamps themselves.
If I turn on headlights/parking lights, the left signal lights light up (no flashing).
I did (at one point) remove all lights in the rear, and the problems continued.
I removed the rear lights fuse and the problem stopped.
I have some time today to look at it, so I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.
The Haynes manual is partly correct - there are relays for left and right turn signals but they aren't normal relays that can be replaced. They're electronic relays inside the DRL module that handle switching between turn signal function and DRL function for the front lights.

From your description it sounds like there is something wrong with the left front signal socket or bulb that is back-feeding current from the turn signals into the parking light system. As an experiment I would try removing the front left bulb and see if the problem stops. Of course the left side won't flash with the bulb removed but it will give an indication of whether that's the source of the parking lights problem.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got it, thank you guys, simple as hell.
The front bulb filaments were shorted together and carrying the 2nd circuit through the bulb. I really would have thaught that if this happened, the bulb would burn out. Thanks a bunch boys.
By the way, were exactly is the actual relay, in the column? It sounds (by your description) like a smaller chip.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit a speed bumb today or something and my left turn signal doesnt work. The arrow doesnt flash and the light doesnt blink. I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find the cables that connect to that light bulb, cause I am not sure exactly whats wrong.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Got it, thank you guys, simple as hell.
The front bulb filaments were shorted together and carrying the 2nd circuit through the bulb. I really would have thaught that if this happened, the bulb would burn out. Thanks a bunch boys.
By the way, were exactly is the actual relay, in the column? It sounds (by your description) like a smaller chip.
As I said, there really isn't a turn signal relay (unless you're calling the flasher a "relay"). There are electronic switching relays (solid state) for each side inside the DRL module but they aren't replaceable except by replacing the whole module. The DRL module is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the defroster duct behind the radio.

The relays in the DRL are to control switching the front lights between daytime running lights and turn signals as necessary. If you're looking for what makes the signals flash (and makes the clicking noise) then that's the flasher. It's clipped to the back side of the dash to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by craz28
I hit a speed bumb today or something and my left turn signal doesnt work. The arrow doesnt flash and the light doesnt blink. I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find the cables that connect to that light bulb, cause I am not sure exactly whats wrong.
Your problem is probably just a burned out bulb. That will make one side stop flashing while the other side still works normally. Turn on the hazard flashers and walk around the car looking for the bulb that doesn't flash then replace it. At the same time, check the socket for corrosion (especially if it's a front bulb). If the socket is corroded you may just end up replacing bulbs regularly. Clean it out with contact cleaner or replace it if it's too badly corroded.