Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What is the B-E-S-T sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the B-E-S-T sound deadener?

This may be the wrong section, but I don't know where else to post it. I am not looking to keep sound in, looking to keep it out. Right now my car has no carpet. I had a t-top leak and it made my car smell like 3 day old cat **** wrapped in boiled cabbage. Anyways, I am getting my center console fiberglassed and would like to get the carpet in before I get the console back. Needless to say, I want to put in a good sound deadener underneath the carpet. I run open dumps under the car and daily drive it with a 4400 stall (think 2800rpms at 30mph EVERYWHERE). I am not planning on changing it; I love the way it sounds out of the car but I can not even hear my radio.

Soooo, what is the best sound deadener out there? I do NOT want to get a spray in kind, I would like something I could take out if I ever decide to go a different route. Weight doesn't really matter all that much, the planned engine should be able to handle an extra 100-200lbs no problem
I wouldn't mind buying it online if a sponsor carries it or if somewhere else has some for a good deal. PM me if your links aren't allowed. Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamat
Old 09-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Launching!

raamat
second skin
dynamat extreme
Old 09-15-2006, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by realmendrivev8s
raamat
second skin
dynamat extreme
id re-order the list but i do agree with your choices
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

My vote is for dynamat =)
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Second Skin is the best product as far as heat resistance and adhesive, and thier standard product is thicker than either of the other two options...

But yeah, the order would be:

Second Skin Damplifier Pro
Second Skin Damplifier
Dynamat Xtreme
RAAMaudio RAAMmat BXT

In that order...

In order of price (lowest/best value to highest):

RAAMaudio RAAMmat BXT
Second Skin Damplifier
Second Skin Damplifier Pro
Dynamat Xtreme

And, at the moment, that is the top of the list in products out there...

As a side note, I just got done ordering almost $500 of sound deadening product for my car, thus I just got done with all the research... I ended up going with Damplifier...
Old 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

How many sq. ft. does it take to properly cover a f-body?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered a boat load of eDead v1. Over at one of the vette forums guys swear by that stuff and it was cheap compared to Dynamat.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I will have to shop around too. I am only wanting to do my floorboards from gas pedal to t-top holded. Doorpanels, etc will not need it. Thanks guys
Old 09-17-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

b-quiet.com

supposedly its lighter and stronger. i have b-quiet ultimate. its great stuff

it used to be called brown bread. i guess they realized how gay that name is and changed it to b-quiet, which also is pretty darn gay.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I just ordered a boat load of eDead v1. Over at one of the vette forums guys swear by that stuff and it was cheap compared to Dynamat.
i got my can the other day, after i finish up the other stuff im doing then im going to do my stereo install, jvc KD-AVX1, humount faceplate and im going to run 1 10"rockford sub/amp off it, i am going to put in the sound deadener mainly from the clutch to the rear seats, if i have any left over i will do the trunk.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Teching In

I've read that the places that need it the most are-
Doors
Hatch lid
Rear wheel well area.

For some reason the audio guys don't think the floor is such a big deal, I'm not sure I agree.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The doors are the closest active area to your ears and work in tandem with that big piece of door glass right by your noggin, as well as housing your front drivers. The rear wheel wells are the largest area for tire/road noise transmission, because there is only one panel between you and that rumbling tire.

Cruising down the road most of what you hear can be attributed directly to these two areas, thus they are taregeted first.

From there move onto the hatch well and floor, lid, then crazier areas like the firewall.

It's not so much that the floor doesn't matter, it's a bang for the buck type of thing. How much deadener area required for a given benefit. That's why people start with the doors and rear wells.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in the process of installing Second Skin's Damplifier in my 94Z right now.

It took 78 sq ft to cover from the taillights to the gas pedal. Keep in mind it's a convertible, so the rear seat only goes up speaker-high (otherwise I would've continued up the panel to the roof). That includes the trunk well, the spare tire well, etc. I doubled up in a couple of spots that had a pronounced drum effect - behind the rear seat, and on the trans tunnel at the rear of the console area. I just started doing the drivers' side door yesterday, I'm about 6 sq ft in to it so far. I bought a total of 160 sq ft, hopefully that'll be sufficent for the 'vert.

I decided on Second Skin because it's not asphalt based. There's no smell to it. It's not the cheapest, but it's not the most expensive either. I know I could have done roofing peel-n-seal or something cheap from Home Depot... but I don't want that crap in my car.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Restricted User

ummm... these products aren't really designed to be removable. Only thing you could remove is a foam insulation, which is not going to be very effective.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Dynamat Extreme and the spray on Dynamat are the only stuff I ever use works great but once its on dont ever plan on taking it off. Used them on everything from beat up Chevys to Ferraris always worked out great when installed properly.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

What do you guys think about B-Quiet? I havent heard much about them but it is a lot cheaper than dynamat
Old 09-19-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Dyno Extreme it is. I guess it'll be permanent then! Oh well, I'll just have to plan the motor accordingly!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to do alot of db drag back in the day. Alot of the guys would use a concrete mixture. But thats where weight is not an issue and they trailered the vehicals to the show. I would do dynamat or something like that.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Dynamat extreme is my first choice so far.

Second Skin Damplifier Pro might have better white paper specs but until I see many people winning the competitions with them, they don't mean anything to me. Everyone's been trying to beat Dynamat for the past 10 years. The've been on top for a long time.