Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why does my battery keep dieing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my battery keep dieing?

OK here is the situation up until this moment.

I bought the car and it had the harness which went to the amp cut except for a few wires. I connected all the wires back together but there were a few that were the same color so I don't know if I got them all exactly the same. Everything worked fine and the sound was good.

Now, my battery keeps dieing. I left the car in the garage for like 2 days and it wouldn't start. Its been a while since I connected those wires but I havn't left the car in the garage a few days before and now I want to know if its because of the wires that I connected or what.

Also, when I press the power button on the radio the passanger middle speaker makes a pufftt sound. Thats without the key in the ignition and with the door open.

The owner before me had a system of some sort and has some type s speakers and tweeters. I took those off because I noticed that the tweeters were bussing softly even when the ignition was off. I took out those speakers too and now it seems like only my rear hatch speakers work.

The battery keeps dieing if left more then 2 days unattended. I have no idea how to solve this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alternator? Perhaps something is "on" all the time, perhaps an accessory is causing drain from the battery.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
ggk
Launching!

do you lose your radio presets when you turn off the car?
you might have crossed the ignition and constant wires.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked the fuses and the radio and accessories seems to get power even with the key out and door open. Also the battery feed wires (orange) on the amp get power all the time. Is this normal?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Yes and no,the wire from your battery always has power,BUT your amp is turned on through the remote wire coming from the deck.If you have it hooked to a battery source then it always on.Same thing for you deck,it has one wire that is a batt source and another that is a ignition feed,if there a both hooked to battery.........
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Dude, this is a simple fix, same thing was wrong with mine. Your current battery has gone bad, that's all. Just get a new battery, perhaps a yellow top optima!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've changed the battery about 3 times. I'll check the wires on my deck but its the stock wiring, or at least it should be. I'll double check. Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Teching In

If your getting constant power to your amp then your remote wire is not hooked up to your amp. It's the solid blue behind your deck. That needs to be feed to your amp. That shouldn't be draining your battery though. And a quick battery change won't fix it. This problem has nothing to do with the alternator, battery, or fuses. Do you have a fuse running your power wire? Are any of your wires (ground or remote--Shouldn't be power because you would blow a fuse---) touching any kind of metal, or pinched, or open and connecting with any other wires? Now you said you, "I checked the fuses and the radio and accessories seems to get power even with the key out and door open. Also the battery feed wires (orange) on the amp get power all the time. Is this normal?" Is your radio getting power when the car"s off and keys out? (Door being open of course, you have a relay that keeps it playing until the doors opened.) This is not normal, but your fuses will show to be hot. It is connected to the battery and is a hot lead! Your amp should only come on when your accessories comes on. Thats the whole reason for the remote wire. If your amp is always on...your car battery will drain! Hope that helps!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

[/QUOTE]Your amp should only come on when your accessories comes on. Thats the whole reason for the remote wire. If your amp is always on...your car battery will drain! Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

Ive rewired a few cars for friends due to that same reason ^ the original people hooked the remote up wrong so the amp was always and never turned off thus wearing the battery down.

Last edited by firebird5134; 11-01-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

sounds like the amp is staying on all the time, pull your amp fuse and try it?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

what is the charging voltage of the alternator with the engine on? does it fluxuate?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I bought another battery today and the volt gauge was sitting low. So I changed the alternator and the volts sit normal. Im going to leave it a few days as see if the battery dies again. It might have been the alternator that was giving me dead batteries. Might not have anything to do with my amp. I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate your replies. Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it looks like it was my alternator that was causing all the problems. Its been two days now and I've been letting it just sit and still starts up fine. Thanks for the help guys.