Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why are my Infinities trying to make my ears bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are my Infinities trying to make my ears bleed?

OK I have done everything in my control that I can think of to make these speakers sound good.
I feel like the other member here that liked the sloppy sounds of the monsoon better,
These Infinities are all trebal.

I swear I have used my h/u's equalizer and removed all the higher notes, yet it the highs are still the loudest sound coming from the speakers. I have tried increasing the mid range sound with no luck, and these speakers seem incapable of producing clear bass. I mean they simply hurt my ears.

I spent over an hour tonight messing with my equalizer and every other feature my H/U has. Currently I have the high pass filter enabled on my amp. But I drove around for a couple weeks with it off, and the infinities would simply distort on any bass at loud volumes. I have also tried my H/Us high pass filter as well, during the time the amp's was turned off.

What are my options? I re wired everything(all new speaker wire and amp kit) during this install of the H/U, amp, and speakers. I am using of course using the Infinity crossovers included with both sets.
Is it possible to make these sound good?
I would think with all the money I have spent on this, I would have better results.

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
Infinity Kappa 60.7CS & Infinity Kappa 62.7I
JL Audio e4300
Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a 7800mp.

With that deck you should be able to make them sound good, if it has the feature I am thinking of. I have a 7600mp and I got it for that reason. I actually use it on my monsoon speakers, and it makes them a lot less awful.

Hold down the audio button for a couple seconds, it should beep and drop you into a menu that allows you to not only pick "boost" on low middle and high, but what freqency those are and how much to boost them.

Go into the audio setup menu and set your low range eq to 80 around plus 3, your mid on 500 plus four or five, and the treble on 8k and take it to negative 3 to 5.

If you have done that - man I do not know what to tell you. Kappas are for treble. They will sound good, but eventually distort. See my post on that other guy's thread. I loved them, but always used my pioneer deck to control them. It should take you over an hour to get it right. It always took me around that to do the sound shaping.

Really though you should LPF the infinities to 125 and get as sub for that range. LPF them with the deck, and leave the crossovers alone. Then you can drop the infinities to flat and I believe at that point, you will be amused.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

Hold down the audio button for a couple seconds, it should beep and drop you into a menu that allows you to not only pick "boost" on low middle and high, but what freqency those are and how much to boost them.
I am not sure the 7800 has that. I have been through the menus, and all I have seen is the equalizer and the low and high pass filters which are adjustable as far as decibel reduction and hertz for the filter. I have loudness, BBE and COMP/BMX modes as well. Currently I have all that disabled, and I have set a high pass filter on the JL amp. I have the high pass filter set pretty low though cause I am not using a sub (no more money to spend currently on another amp, enclosure, cap and sub). These Infinities are suppose to be able to reproduce sounds as low as 35 hz or so. I plan to upgrade with sub, etc.. at sometime, but I would really like to get more range out of the Infinities if possible.

Go into the audio setup menu and set your low range eq to 80 around plus 3, your mid on 500 plus four or five, and the treble on 8k and take it to negative 3 to 5.
Are you referring to the EQ settings? Cause mine has more than three bands.
I have yet to see any independent treble, midrange or bass settings though.
If they are there I am not sure how I could have missed them. It is possible something is mis-configured on the stereo/in my setup?

Really though you should LPF the infinities to 125 and get as sub for that range. LPF them with the deck, and leave the crossovers alone. Then you can drop the infinities to flat and I believe at that point, you will be amused.
125 Hz seems pretty high. I would have thought that with a MSRP of nearly 600 dollars(between the two pair) these speakers would be able to to produce a more full sound.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guarantee your 7800 has it. My OOOOOOLD 3200 had it, and my 4600MP has it. You need to HOLD the Audio button down. Not press, it, HOLD it.

I love Pioneer for that feature and will always buy them After I turn on Loud, adjust the L, M, H's then I go right to that and fine tune. Recommended with the car not running, but then again you can do it with so you know it'll sound good when you're driving.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
Are you referring to the EQ settings? Cause mine has more than three bands.
I have yet to see any independent treble, midrange or bass settings though.
If they are there I am not sure how I could have missed them. It is possible something is mis-configured on the stereo/in my setup?
Negative - Formula is right. You have to hold down the audio button, it will make an audible beep (unless you defeated the beeping feature) and bring you to a new menu you have probably never seen.

I can take a pic of it tonight if I can find my camera.

PM me when you get to it and look at it if you want me to explain it in detail. It would take up a lot of space here. Suffice it to say this is the core of the higher range pioneer decks. The rest is just flashy displays and run of the mill componentry. But the software is unmatched by anything I have seen in comparably priced deck. It is a marvelous menu, and like Formula said, I only get pioneers because of that feature alone.

125 Hz seems pretty high. I would have thought that with a MSRP of nearly 600 dollars(between the two pair) these speakers would be able to to produce a more full sound.
Yes and no. And they are not 'for show' either. They are way better than the stockers, and pretty much anything else you can get for the same price.

Yes they will go down to 35. But do you really think they will sound better than a HPF'ed 10" sub with a freq response of 12-100? No.

Just because it is expensive does not mean it is indestructible. I would give you pics of my last gen kappa 5.7s and show you the bluegreen cone and surrounds warped to hell from dirty deck power, full gain at highways speed with windows dropped. They will succumb to heat just like anything else. But the tweeters will take much more abuse than the woofers. It's not that they made shitty woofers, its that the tweeters are so good you can drive them harder than the woofers.

They will produce full sound, as soon as you get your sound shaping under control. I promise they will do what you want, but they will not do it at high volume for extended amounts of time without raping the mid/low end. When I say that, I am being conservative, because what I ask of speakers is more than a lot of people ask. What I did to my kappas would have killed run of the mill stuff in a matter of months, and eventually would kill anything at or below that cost. That is why I have blown kappas, mbqs, whatever. But it took me a long time to blow the kappas mid/low with a LOT of volume for extended periods of time, and the tweeters were fine. So if you aren't going to do that much, they will give you solid reprodcution for much longer.

In the end, give them a shot with the full features of your deck, assumung you have them (which we do). Still don't like them, then just get something else. But I think you will find to exceed those in power handling and clarity you will have to step up a rank.

I just blew my monsoon front mids last night listening to GnR and Megadeth. Maybe there is a deal there if you end up still not happy with them.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Negative - Formula is right. You have to hold down the audio button, it will make an audible beep (unless you defeated the beeping feature) and bring you to a new menu you have probably never seen.

I can take a pic of it tonight if I can find my camera.
I read manual again for the second time last night and still did not see this feature. But I will look for once I get in my car today. And you are saying that once you enter the entertainment, function and audio menu, choose audio, then hold down the multi-control?

PM me when you get to it and look at it if you want me to explain it in detail. It would take up a lot of space here. Suffice it to say this is the core of the higher range pioneer decks. The rest is just flashy displays and run of the mill componentry. But the software is unmatched by anything I have seen in comparably priced deck. It is a marvelous menu, and like Formula said, I only get pioneers because of that feature alone.
The 7800 MP and all higher end H/Us from pioneer include the Burr Brown DACs. These are top of the line, but so do most higher end H/Us.

Yes and no. And they are not 'for show' either. They are way better than the stockers, and pretty much anything else you can get for the same price.

Yes they will go down to 35. But do you really think they will sound better than a HPF'ed 10" sub with a freq response of 12-100? No.
Well I, of course, do not expect them to sound as good as a sub on the low end, but I would have thought they would have been fuller through the lower mids, and down to about the 60 - 80Hz range, like I have experienced with high quality home audio speakers.

Just because it is expensive does not mean it is indestructible. I would give you pics of my last gen kappa 5.7s and show you the bluegreen cone and surrounds warped to hell from dirty deck power, full gain at highways speed with windows dropped. They will succumb to heat just like anything else. But the tweeters will take much more abuse than the woofers. It's not that they made shitty woofers, its that the tweeters are so good you can drive them harder than the woofers.
Well I certainly do not let them distort, but I do like to play them loud. So I have simply been removing all the lows, but then my ears feel like they are going to bleed again.

They will produce full sound, as soon as you get your sound shaping under control. I promise they will do what you want, but they will not do it at high volume for extended amounts of time without raping the mid/low end. When I say that, I am being conservative, because what I ask of speakers is more than a lot of people ask. What I did to my kappas would have killed run of the mill stuff in a matter of months, and eventually would kill anything at or below that cost. That is why I have blown kappas, mbqs, whatever. But it took me a long time to blow the kappas mid/low with a LOT of volume for extended periods of time, and the tweeters were fine. So if you aren't going to do that much, they will give you solid reprodcution for much longer.

In the end, give them a shot with the full features of your deck, assumung you have them (which we do). Still don't like them, then just get something else. But I think you will find to exceed those in power handling and clarity you will have to step up a rank.

I just blew my monsoon front mids last night listening to GnR and Megadeth. Maybe there is a deal there if you end up still not happy with them.
Well let me give these settings a try, and what are speakers which you consider to be a step up? And I will definitely keep you up to date as to my state of happiness.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

pm sent, I just tried again to find this on the H/U.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
Infinity Kappa 60.7CS & Infinity Kappa 62.7I
JL Audio e4300
I have the same head unit, I bought 2 months ago. Its the best stereo I have ever had.

You do not hold anything down to adjust the equalizer. I am sure you already know this but simply poke the left most little button to toggle between equalizer modes.

To adjust the custom equalizer settings, hit the large rotary button once, rotate it until Audio is selcted, hit it again. Rotate the **** until you find the equalizer mode (one of the last menus), select Custom1 or Custom2 and then the next screen is the actual adjustment of the 13 bands. I have a convertible so I have a roof up and roof down mode set up.

At the end of the day its your speakers. I talked about my own experience with Infinities here. They are really bad. At the time I was replacing stock speakers and the Monsoon were much richer sounding (until they started to distort). As far as I can tell the Infinities are quite non-linear. If you do manage to make them sound good at low volumes they sound harsh and bright as you crank it up. If you are stuck with them, do your equalizing at near deafening levels (use ear protection). Otherwise, I suggest the MB Quarts. I have never heard such flat response from a speaker. With the head unit you have, my car sounds really good with the equalizer set to "Flat" which I use when I am parked with the car off, no tweaking required.

On the Pioneer I have the HPF freq set at 100 Hz in the front (MBs) and 125 Hz in the rear (Polks). I have the slope set at -12 db/oct for both including the sub in the rear which has its LPF freq set at 100 Hz to match the fronts. I have a trunk sub (see sig). For levels I have the fronts set at 0 (high as it goes), the rears at -4 and the sub I vary between -4 to -8 (this one depends on the rear amp gain setting of course).

Just letting you know what works for me with that head unit.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

you will never get Midbass out of ANY infinity speaker smaller than 10". The infinities are all focused on treble, not midbass frequencies. Ive had everything from the Infinity Perfects, 3-way kappas, 2 way kappas, and I will tell you that hte only set of speakers that sounded decent with a small amp was the kappa 3 way 6x9"s and the 3 way kappa oversized 6 1/2s. Those were their older white models, the newer gray ones are garbage IMO.

conclusion, If you want midbass, get a nice set of polk DB's, MOMO's, or Kicker components. That is, if you dont want to spend TOO much.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

BJM,

which line of mb quarts did you buy?
It seems they have quite a few lines these days.

And thanks for the reply
Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

BJM,

which line of mb quarts did you buy?
It seems they have quite a few lines these days.

And thanks for the reply
I think this link will work. This is actually their lower end line as far as I know so price was not ridiculous I think I paid $225. For a 6.5" speaker I find the MBQuarts were able to handle the most bass of any speaker I have tried, far more than the Polk dbs I tried. It all relative to power though, the louder you want to go the higher the cut off frequency you need to use to keep cone excursions down.

For what its worth, speakers that sound warm simply have a huge midrange hump in their response, at least according to the spectrum analyzer I use in my laptop. I have a high quality microphone plugged into it and make my adjustments by playing white noise off a CD. The Polks are really very humped, more than even the Monsoons I took out. I could never get the Polks to pick up bass or high treble properly so I have consigned them to the rear.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I was considering the reference line so this is really disappointing here that the discus line out performs the Infinity Kappa line. Also It is nice to see someone with some audio testing equipment join in. By the way, do you have any dimensions for the box you made for the trunk? I was think about something similar, but I wanted to do a band pass box.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 11-17-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I had the same issue with my Kappa's. They were in for 60 miles and I sold them. Went the Focal route instead of course it is a much more expensive path
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Mike02Z,

which focals did you buy?

I was thinking about doing mb quarts RVF 216s in the doors and either focal 165 CA1 or CV1 in the sail panels. I thought, their(focals) component setup are way too pricey.

What do you think about this setup, I have in mind?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mike02Z,

which focals did you buy?

I was thinking about doing mb quarts RVF 216s in the doors and either focal 165 CA1 or CV1 in the sail panels. I thought, their(focals) component setup are way too pricey.

What do you think about this setup, I have in mind?
I bought the Focal 165 CV1's Still have not installed them though. Should be in this week...I would put the Focal's in the door and not the sails if i only had one set. I bought 4 Focal's so I'm covered.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

I understand why you say that, but I really want a component setup in my door. Also I have no buyer now for the infinities, so I will just sit on them until I get my other problems worked out on my car, rear end and think? power steering pump is on its way out.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kappas are known for their piercing highs
Old 11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

FSUNole17
kappas are known for their piercing highs
Apparently

Also anyone interested in some infinites shoot me a pm

Thanks