Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

$1500 to upgrade...any ideas? help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1500 to upgrade...any ideas? help!

02 trans am - Stock audio as of now.

Last week i blew my two rear passenger speakers...both of them wtf. So instead of just replacing them im going to do a couple of other things too.
I just ordered a head unit- Pioneer P9800BT. Other than that im pretty lost on what would be the best bang of the buck. What do yall think about this..

HU 9800BT
Amp JL E4300
Speakers Total 6.5 (replacing my blown ones)
Sub JL stealth box 10"

...I would run my front speakers and sub off the amp, and have my passenger speakers running off the HU. This is what a shop was telling me would sound good, I dont know much about audio so i thought i would get some feedback from you guys who know your ****.

If you have another idea please share, like i said i have about $1500 give or take a couple hundred, most of what i saved is going towards performance. I just want a good sound.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

bump it up.

just any ideas for spending 1500 or so on a new system? All I have ordered now is the Headunit- pioneer p-9800BT.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1500 is a lot if you are doing the work yourself, know where to shop, and aren't looking for "high/higher end" stuff...

What are your goals for this system?

I see you bought a $400 HU so I have some idea....but some people just like really nice HUs.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I dont have a whole lot of goals for this system, i just want a good sound. I listen mainly to rock music so I dont need crazy subs or anything. I have blown speakers in the back seat and its driving crazy.

The only 2 things i have set right now are the HU and sub.

I know some of you have spent around this amount for a system and have gotten some good results!

TTT
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

1500? okay, I come from caraudio.com so you have to trust me on this, these arent all mainstream brands but good solid stuff. Trust me! I am not going to name stuff you would see @ BestBuy or crap like that. This is audiophile stuff:

Get a better open box:
http://www.subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm

the reason for this is because that JL stealth box is overpriced and gives you the JL w0 that is garbage.

For the sub to put in there I recommend:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2840

because its higher quality and better SQ than a w0 subwoofer.

Amplifier:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4616
This amp will power all 4 speakers + your subwoofer. I know its pricy but this amplifier is Grade A ****. Also you wont have to run 2 amps.

Speakers:
Front: These MAY or MAY NOT fit because they are 6.75
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4985

These will for sure fit (I had them in my camaro):
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4927

You will have to make a location for the tweeter. The reason I want you to go with components up front is because of they are much clearer and give better midbass than a coaxial. The front are the most important for SQ. The choice is up to you, the pioneers have a warmer sq sound and the RE's are a much brighter speaker. If you like bright high's these are for you. The RE's will get louder aswell.

Rear: this is known as "rear" fill and shouldnt be great stuff, most of the time they wont make too much of a difference because they are behind you. So dont worry about the lack of money invested in these. I currently have my rears turned off:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1024

For your wiring i would recommend:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KLM-K4

and you will need to buy additional RCA's.

Total cost in parts: 1100 approx. Any questions please let me know! Catch me on aim: Californiaboy5
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Oh and I have:
Alpine CDA-9855w/ ipod ($350)
Alpine SPX-177R components($300.00)
No Rear Speakers
Clairion APA4300HX ($900.00 MSRP)
Subwoofer: 2 Digital Designs 3510's ($600 bucks)*
Amplifier Digital Designs m1 ($300)*
Second Skin Deadning: $1000.00 (300 sq feet of deadner)*
Special Box + Amp rack: ($450)*
*yet to be installed

Thats MY audio setup, i am a true believer of sound deadning. So far I only have my doors done but I have everything to strip the car to bare metal and apply 3 layers of deadning:
www.secondskinaudio.com

These is cheaper stuff though, second skin is just the most expensive (and best). Check out raamaudio, and fat mat too. Stay away from elemental designs deadner, i havent heard good things about it.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

thanks alot thats some good info!!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

let me know with any questions or feel free to post on car audio.com they can give great ideas too with a budget. I have some what a different box than you. My whole trunk area is for my subs. . im sure you've see that however. It doesnt have to be that diamond audio sub either, Image Dynamics, Alpine Type X, DD 1010, a bunch of other stuff, but thats a real good sq subwoofer. Let me know what you decide on and my opinion on any other piece of equipment you consider. I may not know the exact model number but i can loook it up and tell you that companys reputation! I am here to help with anything i can. . . the most i know about on the f-body is about . . . audio!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

californiaboy5, what do you think about the set up i posted at the top that audio shop was wanting to do?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Alpine CDA-9856 Deck - $200

Boston Acoustics Pro60's or front - $600

Boston Acoustics S65 rear - $120

Boston Acoutics GT-42 Amp for front speakers and sub - $500

Boston Acoustics G2 10" Sub - $180

MTX Stealthbox - $160

4 Gauge wiring kit/speaker wire/RCA's - $100

Dynamat Door Kit - $90

Sound Quality - Priceless

Total is $1940+tax but would sound absolutely killer, trust me... I install this **** every day as a professional installer and for the money this is the best you can buy, and you will not be disappointed
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

DUde this is good *** info. . .
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Sk8runeg thats some great info as well! thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Cant argue with Boston Acoustics Pro 60's. Really High End components. Thats ALL great sq too.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

when you guys say Rear speakers, yall are talking about the speakers in the backseat correct and not the trunk?

So i should for sure replace the front door speakers if with the new system even if they are fine?? I really like those Pro60s and have found them pretty cheap. My main thing is making sure i get those blown backseat side speakers taken care of, it sounds so terrible it makes me laugh

As long as it sounds better than the stock monsoon then Im happy. thanks again for the ideas!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Well you can replace them with cheap coaxials in my honest opnion because in sound staging your most important are the fronts. I am sure that Sk8runeg will be with me on this about front speakers being the most imporant for sound staging, not your rears. If anything, you can power the rears off your HU and have more power to the fronts if your amp can be bridge the 4 channels to 2 channels for the front. Better yet, it might even sound better to NOT have rear speakers. I dont have rear fill speakers. I did for about a year and in such a small hatchback style car like our f-bodys all it does it cause cancellation. Cancelation = Bad SQ. I in my car do not have rear speakers in my car. . . actually I do but they are just sitting there, no amp power from the HU or my amp. They used to be as i stated earlier by my 4 channel but i bridged it to the front 2 only. SQ is way better since IMHO in camaro/transam's the speakers are too close to each other and cause cancellation. IF i were you I would just power them through the HU or unplugg them all together. Get all the power you can to your fronts. If you get the Boston Acoustics Pro60, they can handle 200 rms as long as the gains are set right, so dont worry about overpowering them with too much power! Im sorry, this got pretty long. . . . any questions?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

And yes, rear would the be ones by the backseat. . . i would turn off the ones in the trunk too! but thats just me! Enough power to the fronts ONLY will be more than enough.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Im sorry but I have to add on. . . . If you think turning off 4 speakers will not sound loud enough for you think of it like this. . . . When you go to the concert or an Orchestra, where does ALL of the sound come from?

(The front is correct!) Its just like sound staging inside of a car!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Ya CaliforniaBoy is right about the front speakers. Think if you are at a concert, the sound is coming from in front of ou right? So ya, you dont need the rear speakers to be powered with an amp, but I would highly recommend them as they are a very good filler and will make the system louder too.

As for Pro60's, they are rated at 100RMS watts, but in reality are about 150, straight from a Boston Acoustics rep.

My suggestions on what you should buy wer exactly that, my suggestions. I work with mainly Boston Acoustics, Kewood, and JL so I wouldnt know very much about what CaliforniaBoy5 is recommending, but his information seems very sound as well.

Good luck
-Scott
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys, you have helped me so much with all this info!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Launching!

any updates??