Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why are Alpine head units so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are Alpine head units so popular?

I've noticed that it seems like the majority of people have an Alpine head unit in their car on ls1tech and I've just wondered why. I've been shopping around and I see JVC's, Kenwoods, and Pioneers all with similar specs as closely priced Alpine head units and I just want to know what makes Alpine so great?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

my ///|LPINE never gave gave me a problem, my JVC went out after one, *******, year.....yeah
Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

I loved my alpine when i had one (7" screen version) .. its the new sony crap that stinks.. old sony is great.. this new explode junk that came out in 2000 sucks..

i am quite partial to Clarion as well...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpine, Eclipse and Pioneer Premier are the most reliable HU and also have all the features u need. Their circuit boards are superior and give better SQ. They are a bit more yes but worth every cent. Unless you want to spend 1k-4k on a HU, those 3 brands are about the best u can get.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I know I -really- like my Premier 880PRS....
I don't know if it was just in my head, but I did notice a SQ increase going to my 880PRS from my 940MP. The 880PRS does have overall better specs, including better S/N ratios, so maybe that's what I picked up on.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

YOu are not the only one to be in love with the 880PRS my friend . . i know other people too! and yes it doesn increase SQ beacuse of voltage being slightly higher which doesnt take asmuch work from your amps and the s/n ratio on it is great!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I have loved & owned Alpines since 1988. The unnoficial rule back then was: If you primarily used the radio, get a pioneer (they had the best tuners), cassette: get a Nakamichi (best tape players), CDs get an Alpine.

Now with AI net, you can add blue tooth functionality (to use your phone hands free), you can add HD tuning, XM radio, native iPod support, multpiple CD Changers, USB thumbdrive connection and many more things!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
YOu are not the only one to be in love with the 880PRS my friend . . i know other people too! and yes it doesn increase SQ beacuse of voltage being slightly higher which doesnt take asmuch work from your amps and the s/n ratio on it is great!
According to Pioneer's site, my old 940MP had 6V preouts and my current 880PRS has 5V preouts. Although the 880PRS has Burr-Brown DAC's, so that probably why the S/N ratio is better.

940MP SPECS
880PRS SPECS
Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Im a Pioneer man myself...had 3 never had problems with any...but Alpine as top notch in my book as well...cant go wrong either way.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alpine has actually lost some of thier luster in the past few years as far as headunits go. now keep in mind, i am soon to be the owner of their CDA-9857, but working with them, ive noticed a few things that could be better.
For example, 2V preouts are not the greatest in the world. As mentioned before, some pionerr premiers go all the way up to 6V, 2v just isnt alot of pressure for a big amp.
Also, (This isnt a big deal, but ive seen alot of whining about it) Alpine lacks a motorized faceplate. THey just have the flip down one. My Jensen has a motorized, but like i said earlier, Alpine has always been top of the line, but those are two complaints are probably what i here most at work.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
Alpine has actually lost some of thier luster in the past few years as far as headunits go. now keep in mind, i am soon to be the owner of their CDA-9857, but working with them, ive noticed a few things that could be better.
For example, 2V preouts are not the greatest in the world. As mentioned before, some pionerr premiers go all the way up to 6V, 2v just isnt alot of pressure for a big amp.
Yea I never understood that..... Eclipse (CD5000, ?) has 8V pre-amps.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

ALPINE makes the top-notch High End HU's, one of the BEST if not the BEST... That's all i've owned for the past 16 yrs..... Own three as of now all 4V. And i have owned quite a few different HU Brands before. Like Pionner, JVC, Sony, Kenwood.
High-End ALPINE HU blows them all away, big time..... IMPO

That's why they came in Lembo's as an OEM and still do......
How you like them apples. lol

Just don't buy them from Best Buy or Circuit City, those are Low End 2V Mass-Produced HU's for the consumer market on a budget........

Last edited by Kage; 02-01-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kage
ALPINE makes the top-notch High End HU's, one of the BEST if not the BEST... That's all i've owned for the past 16 yrs..... Own three as of now all 4V. And i have owned quite a few different HU Brands before. Like Pionner, JVC, Sony, Kenwood.

Just don't buy them from Best Buy or Circuit City, those are Low End 2V Mass-Produced HU's for the consumer market on a budget........
Alpine makes HIGH END HU's yes you are correct if your talking about the Alpine F1 status ect. However I will have to disagree with you as far as the best HU's if price is not an option. Brands like McIntosh, Pioneer ODR, Denon, Nakamich, Helix, Panasonic has a sexy tube HU, iAbyss, ect. Are much better for SQ.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

I can post pics for ya if u want and you'll wet yourself. lol
Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Kage

ok, first off I agree that Alpine is a solid brand, I own one myself (cda-9855) for my daily driver). But your reasoning seems a bit fan-boyish.

Now, all of my comments do not apply to the F1 status line, as that's not something 90% of the car audio community is looking for.

But, as far as the non f1 stuff, Alpine does not currently offer a cd player with 4 volt output. They have also done away with alot of the functionality that their head units had only a few years ago, such as full 3 way active crosover, eq, and time alignment all built in, as well as chageable illumination. The only currently shipping models with 4volt outs are dvd players, and there are only 2.

And I would not base my audio purchases based on who oem's for an exotic sports car, where the buyers are much more interested in speed then sound.

But, I'm of the mindset that as long as you have a solid build head unit with good performance, the differences in SQ between brands will be minimum, and the money is better spent elsewhere to make your system sound good.

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse, etc ... buy what you like, and conenctrate on the rest of your system.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I'm just curious, no one has said anything about pioneers ejecting problem...have none of you run into this? I'm from a small town and the only thing we can get w/out driving an hour or waiting a week is pioneer, so naturally alot of the younger people that just want a cd player, don't care about anything else, get pioneer. I bet 60 percent or higher after a few months use don't eject cds. You have to stick another cd halfway in, lift the cd thats stuck in there, then hit eject. I still love pioneer, but its an annoying problem that definetly made switching to my eclipse cd7000 much, much easier.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I have also noticed within the last couple years, Alpine selling "budget" head units at places like worst-buy and circuit-shitty. The hardware feels cheaper than what it used to be, let alone the features. That's Alpine selling their name more than anything in that sense.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
Alpine makes HIGH END HU's yes you are correct if your talking about the Alpine F1 status ect. However I will have to disagree with you as far as the best HU's if price is not an option. Brands like McIntosh, Pioneer ODR, Denon, Nakamich, Helix, Panasonic has a sexy tube HU, iAbyss, ect. Are much better for SQ.

Not just F1, cda-9833 or 35, cda-9815. cda-7878, cda-7995, etc.........

I'll agree with ya on Nakamichi and Denon...
Nakamichi is da **** fo' sho' for the sound Q...
But costs almost 2 to 3 times more then High End Alpine and design of Nakamichi HU's hasn't really changed since late 80's, they look outdated.......
I dunno....

Last edited by Kage; 02-06-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

cuz ALPINES the ****
Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Haha well then maybe I got the wrong impression about Alpine's head units. If they aren't the end-all be all of the industry then WHY the hell do so many people have them? To me, they physically look outdated and overpriced compared to some kenwood, jvc, and pioneer units. And I also kind of want something that illuminates red so it'll match