Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Squealing sound from mids/highs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squealing sound from mids/highs

Just bought the car about a month ago and never had any problems out of the stereo install. About 2 weeks ago the ground wire was pulled out of the sub amp. I put the wire back into the amp and since then I get a bad squealing sound from the highs and mids. If I pull the fuse from the power distribution block going to the mid/highs amp the bass amp works just fine and doesn't have any problems but when I put the fuse back in and try I get the same problem. I took it to a few friends that work in the mobile electronics section at Circuit City and they had no clue what it was but said to try to reground both amps together and find a better ground. Right now each amp is grounded to the rear seat brackets in front of it which isn't a very good ground to begin with. I just firgured if it was that bad of a ground I would have had problems before. Also the main power source from the battery goes to the distirbution block and up to the capacitor. The mid/high amp is run off of the block but the bass amp gets its power directly from the cap. Any ideas? I know my explanation is a little hard to follow so here is a rough diagram sketch and a pic of the setup.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a few more quick pics:

Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

not gonna fix your problem, but by having the distro block like that the amp on the left isnt fused... If i were you id flip it long ways and take advantage of its dual fuses.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will probably be doing that in the next day or two. I have planned to do it but haven't really had the time to do it yet. Just trying to get this problem fixed before rewiring everything. The block is basically useless since it isn't doing anything for the left amp.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

was thinkin about it, ur amp might have some wrong in the signal inputs. The sudden loss of power could have cause it.. It may be fuckzor..
Old 02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The thought crossed my mind. Just seems strange because the ground was pulled from the other amp and it still works fine, the amp in question still had power and ground running to it. Also when the ground was pulled from the bass amp I lost everything. Seems a little strange since they are grounded in different places.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt, anybody have any ideas.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, tore into the system wiring today and found this in the power wire for the mid/highs amp right after the distribution block under the carpet against the body:

I am guessing that the problem came from this. Checked the inputs on the amp and it works fine with the RCA cables halfway plugged in but loses sound completely when plugged all the way in. Also I get the squeal when an RCA cable is in this input, doesn't matter which cable it is.

I guess it is time to get a new amp then, not sure if there is any warranty from the previous owner. Did a little rewiring and it looks like this now, at least it is going through the dist block now.