Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro211z28
would this work wth a tape player in my 99 camaro? or does this only work with cd players?
I think if you can find the correct two wires then it should work just fine. In fact I think someone did it, and put in a cassete without tape so it never had to flip.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Dont know why I never did this on my first Z, but I think I will soon be trying this on my B4C
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Hey..found this thread through a google search. Great info here.

So I tried this on my 2004 silverado with this stock deck

There is one 14 pin connector going to the cd player (13 black wires, one white). I figured this was the right connector, so I spliced in the 1st and 3rd wires with the adapter I made via this thread, but no dice. Didn't work.

I thought I may have done the wrong side, so I patched up the wires and spliced in the 1st and 3rd wires on the other side of the connector.

No dice.

Ground is good, connections are good.

Anyway.

There is another connector that goes to the CD player. 8 or 9 pin I think. 8 White wires, one black.

Could this possibly be the audio? I tried the 14 pin because it looked like the one in the first post. But my deck is quite a bit different on the inside.

Anyway, I may try splicing into the other connector tomorrow if I can't get an answer, it can't hurt.

If any of you have tried this with a 2004 Silverado with that particular deck any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 PM

@Eiyse98ls1; did you ever figure out which wires are the correct ones? Let me know if you have!

My 99 GMC Sub has a HU that looks just like you have inside. I went through both the longer connector and the shorter one using a speaker. Had one wire against the chassis and tapped each pin with the oter while the CD was playing. On most I only heard the speaker pop when touching but no sound. few other were just quiet. I also tested the cable that comes directly out of the CD player and I was able to verify the left and right channes there just using my speaker. However ideally I'd like to plug into the HU.

Here is the diagram I found over at GMT400.com for the connector that goes into the HU from the CD player:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post63709

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
opened up my HU and my wiring is diffrent from the others on here..

1998 z28 with cassette and cd changer..

which ones are the right wires to cut.. or would it be easier to tap into the connector that goes directly into the HU itself..

Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

I have heard that if you use the 4th and 5th wires instead of the 1st and 3rd, it would use the radio signal instead of the CD. My CD play doesnt work either. Does anyone know if this will work or not. or did i just need to give it a shot and see?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
I have heard that if you use the 4th and 5th wires instead of the 1st and 3rd, it would use the radio signal instead of the CD. My CD play doesnt work either. Does anyone know if this will work or not. or did i just need to give it a shot and see?

To work, the head unit has to have the cd player playing a CD. If it does not work, the unit will throw an error and go back to the stereo.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Just so everyone knows. I just did the AUX to my 99 Corvette and used the radio signal wires. I have a bad CD player and didnt want to spend the money to get a new one. And the plus side is I dont have to have a CD playing to make this work. Just jump in the car, plug in the jack and drive Thanks for all the help and great write ups.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Just so everyone knows. I just did the AUX to my 99 Corvette and used the radio signal wires. I have a bad CD player and didnt want to spend the money to get a new one. And the plus side is I dont have to have a CD playing to make this work. Just jump in the car, plug in the jack and drive Thanks for all the help and great write ups.
Perfect! If I do this to anymore, I'm going to do it this way.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is what I want to do. I have already wired up my unit to add an aux connection over the CD audio, but my CD player is starting to work less and less often. Does anyone know where the radio signal wires are instead of the CD signal wires? Any help, pics, or diagrams would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys, I am trying to do this on my 2000 FRC Corvette with the bose and a tape deck up front. The 6 disk changer was removed before I got the car as it was broken. I am really wanting to tie in to the radio but don't know which connector to use. I tried the headphone method but could not find the proper channel, just got clicks in the speakers when I got some voltage I guess. When I tested it on a 3.5mm plug the headphone did work when I selected a L and R channel.

So my pic is below. Did I pick the wrong harness? Do I want to try the white harness? Any help from the guys that have done this through the Corvette radio I would really appreciate it!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I couldn't get the headphone trick to work, so I just used a paperclip on a piece of wire grounded to the chassis. Then picked at each terminal till the left/right speakers cut out in the truck. I think I would try the white connector you have circled in yellow. Those look more like it.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Default Auxiliary Input Hack for 2002 Delco Radio

Greetings,

I have an '02 GMC Sonoma with a radio that looks like the one vw86gti had earlier in this thread. Since this thread was the motivation for my proceeding with the hacking of my radio, I have attached a pdf of the process I used to put an auxiliary input jack in the face of the radio. Hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Dale
Attached Files
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

i get the E20 err and tried everything to fix it ... just not working , also dont have much cash to replace the unit ... from reading the i figured out that this mod wont work because of the err ... is there anyway to do this but for example have it use the radio instead of the cd player? or any other possible way?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Q8WS6
i get the E20 err and tried everything to fix it ... just not working , also dont have much cash to replace the unit ... from reading the i figured out that this mod wont work because of the err ... is there anyway to do this but for example have it use the radio instead of the cd player? or any other possible way?
The only other way would be if you had the disc changer. Then you could tap into the left and right audio signals that way. But other than that, I'd troll ebay and look for a cassette unit. They are pretty cheap.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
The only other way would be if you had the disc changer. Then you could tap into the left and right audio signals that way. But other than that, I'd troll ebay and look for a cassette unit. They are pretty cheap.
gd idea thanks, found some pretty cheap ones ...correct me if i'm wrong but by getting that , i can just get one of those cassette tapes with an aux wire and just plug it there and itll be exactly like this mod right?

edit: and they are the exact same size as the ones in the 01 trans am right? fit wise ? just take the old one out and put the cassete one in ? no wiring or anything?

edit: another thing ... so if the cd player is not working , there is no way i can have an aux adapter even? isnt there a cheap one that doesnt have to deal with the cd player?

Last edited by Q8WS6; 10-16-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

gd idea thanks, found some pretty cheap ones ...correct me if i'm wrong but by getting that , i can just get one of those cassette tapes with an aux wire and just plug it there and itll be exactly like this mod right?
Yes.

edit: and they are the exact same size as the ones in the 01 trans am right? fit wise ? just take the old one out and put the cassete one in ? no wiring or anything?
Yes.

edit: another thing ... so if the cd player is not working , there is no way i can have an aux adapter even? isnt there a cheap one that doesnt have to deal with the cd player?
No, your 01 T/A head unit is compatible with the external auxiliary adapters and it doesn't matter if the internal CD drive works (only that the external changer port works). You can find a GM9-AUX on Amazon for $55.

DO NOT get the less expensive AAI-GM9 unless you have a working external CD changer. The AAI-GM9 requires an attached CD changer whereas the GM9-AUX requires only a changer port on the head unit (which your '01 has).
Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes.

Yes.

No, your 01 T/A head unit is compatible with the external auxiliary adapters and it doesn't matter if the internal CD drive works (only that the external changer port works). You can find a GM9-AUX on Amazon for $55.

DO NOT get the less expensive AAI-GM9 unless you have a working external CD changer. The AAI-GM9 requires an attached CD changer whereas the GM9-AUX requires only a changer port on the head unit (which your '01 has).
thanks alot , just one more thing ... by external changer port i assume you mean the 12 cd changer? i dont think i have that , just the one in the unit , so guessing the GM9 wont work as well ?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

No, as I said, you don't need a changer just the changer port on the back of the head unit. All Monsoon head units have that port.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, as I said, you don't need a changer just the changer port on the back of the head unit. All Monsoon head units have that port.
Thanks again , aprreciate the help ... going look up how to check that and hopefully its working ... else its the cassete player
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Hi

Has anybody done this with a pontiac radio with the equalizer and single disc cd player. I think I can do the CD player cut hack has andbody successfully done it with the radio circuits. Mainly can it be done without soldering to the board i'll do the cd player splice part if i cant do the radio without soldering to the circuit board

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter