Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is it possible to remove ALL the factory stereo wiring...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible to remove ALL the factory stereo wiring...

Without cutting wires?

The deal is, I am nuking the monsoon system totally, HU amp and speakers are all gone.
I'd like to get rid of the factory wires, especially for the Monsoon amp and speakers , as its @ 36 or so wires totally unused.
I'm in the process of trying to pull it out but it gets really hairy under the dash.
Not sure what is tied to what and if its even worth diggin up in there further to try and pull it all out.

Everything is being replaced so I don't see why I need it there.
I'll cut a couple to free some of the tangled mess but I'm just wondering if some stuff is tied into connectors that cant' be removed easily.

For example, the wire pack that goes through the door to the kick panel SHOULD only have 4 wires for the front speaker but instead is clipped to a connector with 8?
I've been looking for a resource on how to remove the dash and get at the wiring under there but search isn't working AT ALL and ls1.com doesn't seem to have anything.

I would really just like to get this huge bundle of wires out of the car if I can, but I guess if its too much hassle I'll just run it all back where it was and run duplicates.

Any help to either a wiring diagram, instructions on how to remove dash, or any advice on getting this bitch of a wiring mess out of my car would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DJ
Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the amp if you desire.... but leave all the wiring -- you never know if you're gonna sell the car and the next owner would like factory wires/setup for whatever reason.. the wires really aren't in the way - just run new wires on top of them -- I don't think it's worth the time or effort to remove it all entirely and you could always mess up other things as you're trying to remove it all.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it alone, just run duplicates.
If you want to lose the weight you wouldn't be putting a stereo back in.
So... leave it alone, and you can go back to stock sound some day. Either way, since you don't see the wiring, it just in your head that it'll bother you.

No, it will NOT just pull out, splices and tied in with other (ie lighting) harnesses. you'd have to nearly gut the interior trim to get to it all. NOT worth the effort.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely did away with the factory wiring/amp myself as far as using any of it...except for the wiring for power to the head unit. Everything else is there just not used. I re-ran every speaker wire in the car. I left the factory harness there for the same reason you're having problems with it..just not worth it.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I just went out and looked at it again, in particular the drivers side.
NIGHT-MARE

Thanks for talking me out of it, for a second there I was going to cut those 30 wires @ the dash but I guess I'll just re-run it back.
Little wasted effort and alot electrical tape but no biggie.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get the drivers side speaker wire through the door grommet thing, that one's gonna be fun.

Thanks again for the reality check guys,
Thomas
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get the drivers side speaker wire through the door grommet thing, that one's gonna be fun.
Clothes hanger, tape the wires up good to the end of it -- be careful not to pull too hard if it isn't coming through...you might pull apart other wires. If you bend the hanger to make a loop at the pulling end, make sure you tape up the end of the hanger real well so you don't hook onto other wires...because if you do hook onto other wires, you will eventually become angry and just pull harder and harder not caring what you're tearing apart (like I did).
Old 08-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Restricted User

I've done it. It's not for the faint of heart.

step 1, strip interior. This means hatch trim, b-panels, door sills / kickpanels, seats, seatbelts, center console, carpet, etc ..

You need to unhook all interior wiring connections and grounds. Tail lights, hatch release, monsoon amp, b-panel speakers, harness going through behind rear seat to under the car for fuel pump, abs, etc .. , harness and ground going up under head liner near interior light, ground at the driver seat, connections under the center console, including the air bag sensor, ebrake, etc ..

now, undo all clips and wire ties securing the wiring, all of the wiring from the dash on back needs to be loose, as you are going to pull the entire body harness from the car.

But before you can, the dash needs to come out. First, remove the a-pillars, then the top dash plastic near the windshield. It just pops up, but be carefull.

Now, go under the dash, remove the underdash panels, the knee bolster on the drive side, and glove box on the pass side, and disconnect all wiring. You have 2 grounds on the driver side, the big harness that connects to under hood wiring (you need a 7mm socket to undo it), various harnesses on the steering column (the ignition harness on top is easier to get once you drop the column), harnesses going to the brake, clutch, etc .. On the pass side, you have to disconnect the vacume lines for the hvac controls, and there are a couple harnesses in the pass side kickpanel you need to disconnect, in addition to a ground. There is also a harness below the middle of the dash, I think it is for hvac that needs disconnected.

next, remove the steering column by removing the bolt underhood that secures it to the steering rach (just below the exhaust manifold). Inside, you have 3 10mm bolts on the firewall, and 2 15mm nuts that hold the column up the the cross support. You need to remove the bracket that the knee bolster connects to first. Slowly lower the column, and remove the ingnition harness from it. You should be able to completely pull the column from the car now.

Next, you have a dash support in the middle, just in front of the center console you must undo. If you left the bolts off the side bottom supports when you pulled the grounds, you're good, otherwise remove them again.

Now, along the top, you have about 5 or so 7mm screws holding the top of the dash in. once those are out, it should fall towards you. Carefully pull it out of the car, going slow to make sure you did not forget anywires. Might need a friend to help, as it's heavy and alkward with all the wires hanging.

Once you have the dash and wiring out of the car, you can remove the hvac ducts from the back of the dash, exposing the wiring. Unloom and untape all wiring to remove the ones you don't want. Retape and reloom, and reinstall.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think an emoticon exists conveying the shock and fear reading your post gave me Mike.
That is truly daunting. Maybe if I had a month to try and pull it off.

As it turns out I just bundled the loose wires that go to the monsoon and the drivers speakers into two little bundles, wrapped them in plastic and some soft stuff and dropped each bundle in the rear seat wells.
There's plenty of room and noone will see em anyway.

I do want to use the stock clips to run the new wire though so without the old stuff there from the rear seats back it will be nice.

Workin on the edead now which is also not fun inside these doors, but at least this wiring thing won't be bothering me.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

D
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Keep in mind...not a whole lot in Mike's car is stock...even the height and position of the dash is different. His car for the most part has been totally re-engineered for optimal sound staging and is a really impressive piece of work!! Can't wait to see it in person at Nopi!!
As far as running your wire through the door grommets, I used a smaller sized electricians fish tape. Worked like a charm!! As Fred stated you can use a coat hanger which is what I used to use years ago!! The hardest side for me was the drivers side because of all the wires...but...you won't have to worry about that apparently!! LOL!! Other than that..no big deal. Good luck!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Keep in mind...not a whole lot in Mike's car is stock...even the height and position of the dash is different. His car for the most part has been totally re-engineered for optimal sound staging and is a really impressive piece of work!! Can't wait to see it in person at Nopi!!
sorry . Won't be going to Nopi this year. I spent the summer moving and trying to setup my new workshop, and have not worked on my car at all since May, so still not even close to finished.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that!! One of these days I'll catch up with you. I would really like to see that car in person!!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

i was looking into removing the stock monsoon system too and here is what i came up with... let me know if all you think it would work.

strip the interior
locate the monsoon amp and wires
go in with a razor blade and cut off all the electrical tape along the bundle of wires as you trace the wires to where they lead
cut/save what you want

then when you have new wireing in...

route the wires to where you want
buy rolls of electrical tape (or zip ties)
bunch the remaining wires then tape or zip tie
put back the interior

..to me this would look more professional. it just takes a lot of time but it would be givin a quality job. also if you want, you could find someone to sell the whole monsoon system wiring to.