Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Push Button Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think it would cost that much so I'm definetly not doing it. I just thought it would be cool to start it from far away.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

the remote start on a manual trans can be a verry bad idea, even if your like me (I never leave the car in gear) because the car can lurch forwarrd if in the minute chance you do accidentily leave the car in gear (it does happen) anyhow i saw a vid one time when i was learning how to install remote starts where a guy had one in his manual trans jetta, he had left it in gear on accident and when he started the car it drove accross a field and into a building. anyhow, nice idea just need extra fail safes (maybe make a sensor so it knows when its in gear and disables the start function. hmmmm
Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most remote starts (any worth a damn) have failsafes installed. if its in gear, it wont start.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a remote start on my M6 and it will start when in gear. Figured that out, but nothing bad happened. I want to disable it but have no idea how. I tried just taking the whole remote start harness of the alarm module thingy and it didn't start but I had the stupid LED flashing all the time. I guess it's some kind of thing telling you that something is wrong with your alarm. I hate that freaking remote start. I want it off, don't like just relying on the Ebrake

Oh and get this, I disconnected my negative bat terminal to do some work once. I had the car on jack stands. When I went to put the terminal back on I hear the noise of car starting to turn on, And then the car starts up. Luckly I had the car in neutral. That remote start is a death trap if you ask me. Anybody know how to disable it? It's a Python 1500ESP. It was on there when I bought the car. I really only want the remote start bypassed, I like the alarm.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Teching In

From what I know being an Install Bay supervisor its Illegal for us to put a remote start on a M car. Reasons being as someone has stated above, car driving off while its in gear. There is no way to show the remote start that the car is in gear with out custom modification. Remote starts are fun things, if you have a monkey install it then there's no telling what can go wrong. I saw someone install one that when the car was remote started the windshield washers started spraying water on the window. Personally, I like mine that came on the car. If I remote start it, disarm it, sit in the car for more than 30 seconds the alarm re arms. If I start driving it away, the alarm goes off while the car is in motion. One of these days I'm going to spend the 175 for the 791 viper and lock my car down.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02WS6
From what I know being an Install Bay supervisor its Illegal for us to put a remote start on a M car. Reasons being as someone has stated above, car driving off while its in gear.
No, it is not illegal. It's interesting how some shops will claim something is illegal as a way to avoid having to do the extra work.

First, contrary to urban legend, a modern remote start installed in a manual transmission car with a properly adjusted parking brake will not drive off, run into walls, or chase little old ladies around parking lots. A properly adjusted parking brake will hold the car against the idling engine so a little starter motor hasn't a chance. Try it - engage the parking brake and let out the clutch - the car will stall. Of course, there are lots of cars with improperly adjusted parking brakes but that's a maintenance issue. There are also plenty of people who don't use the parking brake all the time (especially in automatics) but we can't prevent foolishness.

Second, modern remote starts monitor engine RPMs and will give up trying to start the car if the engine doesn't reach idle speed in a few seconds. A manual parked in gear will never reach idle speed so the remote starter gives up. The car will rock against the parking brake a little but it won't go anywhere. I know - I've done numerous times on my own car as a demonstration. Even without the parking brake, at most the car might move a couple of feet before the remote start gave up. A couple of feet is still enough to do damage (so always use the parking brake) but it's nothing like the fiction people tell of cars running across entire parking lots.

Originally Posted by Slick02WS6
There is no way to show the remote start that the car is in gear with out custom modification.
Third, there are remote start systems that are designed specifically for manual transmission vehicles. There are also add-on modules for regular remote start systems that add the same manual transmission features. They both work by requiring the driver to perform a series of steps when leaving the car to ensure that it is not in gear. Usually that involves pressing a button on the remote while the engine is running, removing the key from the ignition (but the engine stays running), exiting the car and then setting the alarm with the remote (which also shuts off the engine). Since there's no way you could exit a manual transmission car with the engine running unless it was in neutral, the system knows that it is safe for remote start.

If you use a properly adjusted parking brake every time you park the car then these extra safeguards aren't really necessary but they are good for peace of mind.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's illegal but don't be surprised if shops refuse installation because of potential liability issues. After all, they don't know how well you maintain your car or if you can be trusted to always use the parking brake.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-23-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

here is a screenshot (in attachment) of some of the wiring diagram for my remote start. If anyone has any idea on how to disable it, please help.
Attached Thumbnails Push Button Ignition-wiring-screenshot.jpg  
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

One of the easiest ways to disable that remote start would be using the black with white neutral safety switch wire. It appears that it must ground through the neutral safety switch in order to enable the remote start (ensuring that the car is in park or neutral). If you disconnect and tape up that wire the system would never have the enable signal so it would never activate the starter.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

thanks just unplugged the whole part of the harness. Works great.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a remote on M6. It was cool at first now I hate it. It worked fine for two years or so then one day it just decides it wont start with the key. The only way I can start it is with the remote. Good anti theft yea what happens when my remote battery dies I am screwed. I have messed with it many times and not been able to figure out what the heck is wrong. Maybe it is my ignition itself who knows. I do know I miss starting it with the key. As for

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First, contrary to urban legend, a modern remote start installed in a manual transmission car with a properly adjusted parking brake will not drive off, run into walls, or chase little old ladies around parking lots. A properly adjusted parking brake will hold the car against the idling engine so a little starter motor hasn't a chance.
My car has a good e brake and ran up over a curb one time at the Safeway. I was sooo lucky it was parked at the back of the lot and did not hurt anything. Remote start is not worth the trouble. I am thinking of going to the push button start. http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht
Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
My car has a good e brake and ran up over a curb one time at the Safeway. I was sooo lucky it was parked at the back of the lot and did not hurt anything.
Then your parking brake is not as good as you think it is. I have had remote start in 4 of my last 5 manual cars and the most that has ever happened is the car rocks a little when I forget to leave it in neutral. And believe me, I have always been in the habit of parking in gear and applying the parking brake so I often forget to put it in neutral for remote starting.

There is no way the starter could overcome the resistance of a properly adjusted parking brake and the weight of the car and still have enough power to push the car over a curb. If you can make the car move on level ground by letting out the cluch with the car idling then the brake isn't adjusted properly - the engine should stall. And the starter motor doesn't have anywhere near the power or torque of a V8 engine.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
most remote starts (any worth a damn) have failsafes installed. if its in gear, it wont start.
yeah, and ive also heard of an ebrake safety switch, or something to that effect, basically if you dont have the ebrake on the car wont start with the remote start. i dont know of a single car that can overpower the ebrake in any gear, without any throttle, especially while cranking.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Uhh so this push button start.. Do you have to have the keys in the ignition or anything? (I know that kinda defeats the purpose) but push button with no keys is like leaving your keys in the car.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

did you even read the thread? It's about remote starters (on a key fob), the original poster just didn't know how to word it correctly.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Default I have seen 3 cars roll by driverless in my career

I have installed remote starts in manual cars over 18 years always against my wishes.
I have seen a turbo 911 slant nose go through the entire shop past eight bays crash into an office,
I have seen an NSX roll past me and into a pole,
I also Truck roll accross the dealers lot hit a car and then die roll back and as many good remote starts do restart the truck for a second hit
All the time I was screaming punch the button ..... LOL
using the pbrake as a second safety switch is a great idea to stop them from rolling .... but they will start and some will roll away
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Default NRS a reply

For your system use a relay connected to you pbrake switch to the hood pin wire you see in your diagram
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Second, modern remote starts monitor engine RPMs and will give up trying to start the car if the engine doesn't reach idle speed in a few seconds. A manual parked in gear will never reach idle speed so the remote starter gives up. The car will rock against the parking brake a little but it won't go anywhere. I know - I've done numerous times on my own car as a demonstration. Even without the parking brake, at most the car might move a couple of feet before the remote start gave up. A couple of feet is still enough to do damage (so always use the parking brake) but it's nothing like the fiction people tell of cars running across entire parking lots.
This ruins my dream of leaving my line lock on and remote starting my car to do a burnout, thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

most remote starters have a safety feautre, u have to get out of the car and lock it with the engine running (hence already in neutral and brake set) and it shuts off within i believe 30 secs...any door or hood openings will disable the feature for startup of the car via remote..
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

I plan install one of them in my Camaro with keyless,remote starter and alarm system.

1)http://www.digitalguarddog.com/mm5/m...ry_Code=a20000

2)http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...c=keylessentry
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I'm an installer at a car stereo shop and we do alarms/remote starts too.. I've installed a VIPER 5900 (2-way Remote Start, Keyless, and Alarm) on my M6 Trans Am.

Just to check I remote started it in gear, with the parking brake up it barely lurched forward. DEI products have an "anti-grind" feature that won't let the starter keep turning any more than it has to.

I have a simple toggle switch wired up so when its off, the car WILL NOT remote start. You do have to bypass the clutch pedal switch and bypass the VATS security, if your car has it in order for it to work.

I bought the unit just for the mile range alarm and keyless, the remote start comes with it, so I hooked it up. It is nice to have though when its real hot or real cold outside..

I'd be glad to answer any questions, just pm me..

Quick Reply: Push Button Ignition