Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6X9's hookup cut! need info on how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6X9's hookup cut! need info on how to fix

Ok here's the deal, my 99 TransAm's stereo didnt sound as good as others I had heard so I went ahead and took a look at all the speakers. Turns out the previous owner replaced the 6x9's in the backseat area with aftermarket pioneers, the problem with this is the speakers he used only had two hookups, a positive and a negative and the stock speaker hookup is four port. So the guy apparently cut the stock adapters off and spliced the wire with the wire from the new speakers, thus leaving it sounding like ****. My question is can I buy the adapter by itself or do I have to rerun wire from the HU back to both speaker panels? and if I can how? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, your car never had 6x9s.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

ok, thought they were, in any event they are the two speakers in the backseat area....whatever size those are
Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sail panels then? Do you have Monsoon?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I have the Monsoon setup, it seems the only thing thats not original factory is the two sail panel 6-3/4" speakers.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send a pic of the 6x9 set up.
I can't understand what the OP ment, can you expalin a bit better?
Are the 6x9s in the sail panel place or in the hatch?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Teching In

sorry, im not too versed in stereo setup so my terms may not be dead on. They are the 6-3/4" speakers in the sail panel. From the factory there are four hookups on the speaker as opposed to the traditional 1 positive 1 negative hookup on most speakers. To allow for the four hookups there is an adapter of sorts at the end of the wiring coming from the head unit, that adapter has been cut off making it impossible to hook factory speakers back up to it. I was just wondering if I could buy that adapter somewhere, and if so how to hook it back in

the plug coming out of the speaker should go into a plug at the end of the speaker wire...it's this plug thats gone

Last edited by jnolan; 01-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

The parts manual only lists replacement connectors for the base (non-Monsoon) sail panel speakers. That isn't a 4-pin connector so it won't work for you. However, it's easy enough to solder and shrinkwrap the connections. Or you can use any 4-pin connector you can find if it's important to be able to disconnect the speaker. A 4-pin trailer connection would be one possibility.

BTW, the speakers aren't connected to the head unit - they're powered by the Monsoon amp in the right quarter panel (in front of the spare tire). They are dual voice coil subs which is why they have four wires each instead of two.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Great thanks WhiteBird! I didnt even really know what to call it, but '4-Pin Connector' is what I'll look for then, and thanks for the info about the amp...i really know nothing about stereo setup except how to install the HU. Your advice was really helpful thanks again!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Okay, need some more help, just got another set of stock speakers just like the ones pictured above, but im not sure which wire gets spliced to which. As I said before the harness in the car is cut, so I've cut the harness off the speakers and am ready to splice the four wires but Im not sure what goes where, and have had a really hard time finding any kind of wiring diagram. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Send a pic of the 6x9 set up.
I can't understand what the OP ment, can you expalin a bit better?
Are the 6x9s in the sail panel place or in the hatch?
They weren't 6 x 9's. He was mistaken.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
Okay, need some more help, just got another set of stock speakers just like the ones pictured above, but im not sure which wire gets spliced to which. As I said before the harness in the car is cut, so I've cut the harness off the speakers and am ready to splice the four wires but Im not sure what goes where, and have had a really hard time finding any kind of wiring diagram. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
On the right side, connect the red to red and tan to black (respectively) of one pair and connect the dark green to red and the light blue with black to the black of the other pair.

On the left side, connect the tan to red and white to black of one pair and connect the dark blue with white to red and light green with black to the black of the other pair.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks so much!