Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to install the "Simple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird) *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 06:48 PM
Banned

Lightbulb How to install the "Simple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird) *PICS*

Hey guys, I got the idea from a friend to install the "iSimple ipod interface for factory radio" adapter kit into my car. I got the adapter kit and did a little write up with pictures to show you the ease of the install of it.

It's easy!!

It works with ipods AND iphones. When you plug it into your iphone it asks you if you want to go into airplane mode. Say no and the phone will still ring like usual. (Please note: Your head unit must be between '00-'02. If not, it wont work AT ALL!! There is a sticker on top of the H/U, it'll have the date made printed on it)

When your iphone does ring, the music fades down and pauses and the ringtone goes through the speakers. While you're on your iphone all sound is muted through the speakers. Only the person with the phone can hear the caller. Once you end the call, the music fades up from where it paused itself and continues playing.

It's sweet!!

Here's the write up:

1. Here's the box. I picked it up at best buy 2/23/08 for $99.95

2. What the "interface" looks like. Make sure your head unit was made between '00-'02. On the interface, make sure that the 3 & 8 switches are flipped dowm, and all the rest are up.

3. Box picture of the hook up. (does come with instructions) It REALLY is THAT simple!

4. Where I installed the interface:

5. The new harness (PXHGM1) connects to the stereo, and the old harness plugs itself into the new harness. (The power harness stays untouched and gets plugged back in)

6. See the location of the interface? Also note that the old harness is now plugged into the new harness. Dont forget to plug your "power" harness back in!!

7. The location in relation to the radio and air ducts

8. Bezel about to be replaced. You can see the interface is neatly tucked up. (I secured the interface to the side using 1" velcro. Clean the area thouroughly with alcohol before appling the velcro, It'll make for a better sticking surface)

9. Last pic of the "box". All wires have been re-connected and bezel is put back on. SUPER easy install.

10. Where the iphone/ipod connector comes out from. This is only a temporary spot as I dont want wires around my feet as I drive. i'm trying to find a "clean" place to stash it so it's out of sight. In my friends M6, he installed it through the ashtray, as it's behind the shifter. I think mine will be in the ashtray as well. (I have an A4, and it's in FRONT of the shifter)

The whole install took me about 35 minutes, and i'm really **** about looks.

Hope this helps fellas!!

-KING

Last edited by Calstud86; 03-05-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2008 | 11:47 PM
On The Tree

so will this one work if you dont have the factory cd changer in the trunk? the other ipod interfaces ive seen only work with cars that came with the factory cd changer
Old 03-04-2008 | 12:30 AM
Banned

Correct!

You just need a head unit from a '00 or newer. Those H/U''s had CD changer controls. I dont have a CD changer (never had one) in the car, and it works better that i even expected. It's like a factory stereo!!

Trust me, you'll love it, and it's worth it!
Old 03-04-2008 | 12:33 AM
Teching In

isnt a fm ipod kit better there cheap and u just change your radio to the station?
Old 03-04-2008 | 12:46 AM
Banned

they're not too much cheaper, but if you live in a big city, like LA, then you dont have any stations (wide) open. You need to be on a frequency that wont be interupted by a neighboring station. (and you dont get all the controls) And if you have an iphone, it rings through the speakers!

I get controls on EVERYTHING. I just think that this is the best kit out there! IMO.

Old 03-04-2008 | 12:57 AM
Teching In

yeah your right im from texas and the stations here are strong never have a mix signal. didnt mean to be a smart *** just wanted to know never seen the kit you have ive only seen the radio ones
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:32 AM
On The Tree

hey does your "simple" beep at moderately loud volumes? its like a beep beep....beep beep

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2008 | 01:34 AM
Banned

nope, not at all. And like i said, my friends got one too, and his is fine as well! Yours beeps? Is yours an older gen.?
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:47 AM
On The Tree

i only bought mine summer 07 but yeah mines beeps but i have it mounted behind the left rear seat seatbelt using the CD changer adapter. do you guys think thats a factor?
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:56 AM
Banned

Weird.... mines plugged directly into the H/U up behind the stereo. try it that way.
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

why not get a better h/u that is ipod-ready? factory head units suck and you're not getting the full range out of your stereo that you could.
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:40 PM
On The Tree

easiest way is to return it and buy the usda spec one. i had the one you have and absolutely hated it rf noise and all. got a usda spec one from crutchfield amazing thats all i can say and the steering controls work too
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:51 PM
On The Tree

i'll try connecting it directly behind the deck...
anyway i only bought this "simple" because at the time my dad and i wanted something simple. i have an old alpine deck with ipod capability but i don't want to chop the stock monsoon harness so i'm waiting to get one of those things.
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
why not get a better h/u that is ipod-ready? factory head units suck and you're not getting the full range out of your stereo that you could.

true...yo can do that too!!

I just stayed with factory because then i dont have to spend all that money on a new H/U, AND...in MY car, it's not like you can hear excellent music anyway, lol. (It's way too loud to tell "good sound")

Oh, and if you're playing MP3's, the sound is **** anyway!
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginop524
easiest way is to return it and buy the usda spec one. i had the one you have and absolutely hated it rf noise and all. got a usda spec one from crutchfield amazing thats all i can say and the steering controls work too

interesting, I go no RF noise at all. (maybe i'm just lucky) Where there different gens. made?

I thought about the US unit, but the guy al Al&Ed's didn't sound too convinced in its capabilities. Do you have the ability to control the stereo, iphone AND the wheel controls?

I'm VERY happy with my kit. and you can't beat the price, ya know?!?
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Calstud86
true...yo can do that too!!

I just stayed with factory because then i dont have to spend all that money on a new H/U, AND...in MY car, it's not like you can hear excellent music anyway, lol. (It's way too loud to tell "good sound")

Oh, and if you're playing MP3's, the sound is **** anyway!
lol i gotcha...i guess i'm just used to every new vehicle i get the first thing i do is get rid of the crappy h/u's!!

if u like it, that's all that matters! after all i'm not ridin in ur car listenin to music! lol
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

i dont have an iphone but have tried it with one of my friends it worked fine as far as the steering controls i mean scrolling through the songs works great and is crystal clear
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginop524
i dont have an iphone but have tried it with one of my friends it worked fine as far as the steering controls i mean scrolling through the songs works great and is crystal clear
right on!!

...and that all that matters in the end, right?
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

I used the USA Spec PA11 – GM45 (~$100 on eBay, but make sure you get one that has hybrid mode!) in my '01 SS to the stock Monsoon -- it works, but is a little slow to respond sometimes, but overall works fine. I would rather have a Bluetooth solution, but this seemed to be the best solution I could discover... Simple to install too, and retains steering wheel controls!

The USA Spec devices uses your CD Changer port to control things, and has a y-cable so you could even still connect your CD Changer -- if you have one, or even if you have the cable routed to your trunk from the factory with none there (like I did).

See:
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod_product_.../pa11-gm45.pdf
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Do they make it for any other cars? Like perhaps my 03 Escalade?

Quick Reply: How to install the "Simple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird) *PICS*