Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Buzzing sound in stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing sound in stereo

guys I am getting this buzzing sound in the stereo when the radio is on or off. It changes with the engine speed the pitch goes up. I checked and removed and cleaned any ground cables under the hood and it still does it .. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Buzzing sound in stereo

i've got the exact same problem. i posted the question last week. no one seems to know so far.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Teching In

is the stereo all factory? or do you have amps and subs and aftermarket head unit?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am havin the same problem.. I am going to troubleshoot it tommorow.. I will let you all know when I fix it.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was always told that this is a grounding problem
Old 08-13-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok guys I got to it this morning and fixed it. First I checked for any loose grounds and everthing seemed fine. I just retightened them. Then I moved all signal cables as far away from the power cable. These 2 things did not fix the problems but are very common cuases for noise. Well it turns out it was a loose RCA in back of my Alpine. For some reason it became loose. However, had tis not solved the problem, I would of proceded to replace the RCA with some better quality ones.
Back to your problem, do you mean you hear the buzzing sound when the radio is off or the engine is off. Because if you still hear when the radio is off that is new to me. Please elaborate more on this problem.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Launching!

mine buzzes even when the radio is off. i have the stock monsoon system.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the stock system and all is fine. But in my 3rd Gen firebird I would get this buzzing sound it was a loose RCA cable, also another cause was a loose ariel cable, that cable was screened also joined the radio to chassis ground which was also done though the wiring loom.

But if you radio is standard not too sure what it could be. There is surge supression inside the radio if not its in a box outside in the cable loom, if you remove that it would cause problems. If you look at your 12V when the engine is running with an occiliscope you will see huge voltage spiked although small in duration they to peek quite high, if this is not surpressed it will be passed onto the audio. Its not only GND that is important its the 12V too. If the regulation unit in the alternator is faulty you will get even larger voltage spikes with a longer duration if your radio is fine and this happenes it will be very hard for your audio system to surpress that.

Good luck in finding the fault.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I am a factory trained tech for Toyota (pays bills) and I have seen this once or twice. Turns out if was RFI or radio frequency interference. There are fiberglass strands in the spark plug wires to reduce RFI. The high voltage of the secondary could be causing your issue, as I have seen this happen before. On a side note, is this all the time or only in certain areas? Ive seen a problem where the trunk would pop open just driving down the road. Turns out after I drove the customers route it happened to be when you drove under the HV power lines. The RFI caused the trunk to pop.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the factory monsoon amp could also be going bad. regardless wether the radio is on. same thing happend to a customer of mine with a range rover. bad factory amp. but then again that was also with an alpine in the dash. i bypassed the amp and all was well.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Teching In

I'd like to hear the solution to this problem. My brother has an 1994 Honda accord with some cheapo Clarion deck. When the system is on or off there is not a problem UNTIL I decide to turn on the A/C, headlights or anything else that requires electricity. I wouldn't rule out that I hear the noise when the blinkers turn on and off.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dark01ws6
I am a factory trained tech for Toyota (pays bills) and I have seen this once or twice. Turns out if was RFI or radio frequency interference. There are fiberglass strands in the spark plug wires to reduce RFI. The high voltage of the secondary could be causing your issue, as I have seen this happen before. On a side note, is this all the time or only in certain areas? Ive seen a problem where the trunk would pop open just driving down the road. Turns out after I drove the customers route it happened to be when you drove under the HV power lines. The RFI caused the trunk to pop.

ive seen this happen in older vehicles as well. Sometimes changing spark plug wires can fix your problem. Its not expensive nor difficult, could give you a reason to give your car a tune up.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound in stereo