Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tail light suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Tail light suggestions?

Are there any good set of tails out on the market anywhere. I have been looking and its just getting ridiculous trying to find a good pair. I did nightshade my current tails but somehow the lenses have developed indentations from the paint. No idea how but it seems like its eating the plastic right where the back up lights are. I want to find a good set of black housing tails, if I cant I will probably just go stock LT1 and do the berger mod but I would rather just replace the tails.

Anyone have a pic of these on a red SS.
http://www.drivenbystyle.com/1993-20...-p-292066.html
or the led black housings?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your not gunna find any that look decent. most are rice as hell.
on a side note i wonder how the fit on the SS spoiler is. any know?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

you talking bout an aftermarket spoiler. My factory fits perfect of course but from what I have heard about the aftermarkets, they fit fine except for the center posts which can be fixed with doing it correctly and drilling the mounting holes in the hatch and using the screws to bring the posts flush with the hatch, others have used double sided tape with good results.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have narrowed it down to the LT1 style lights but dont know if I should get them tinted or not, I found someone who will sell me a set of tinted LT1's with the reverse light clear for around 180 but I dont know if thats a resonable price. I also found a set of non tinted LT1s for around 80. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I have narrowed it down to the LT1 style lights but dont know if I should get them tinted or not, I found someone who will sell me a set of tinted LT1's with the reverse light clear for around 180 but I dont know if thats a resonable price. I also found a set of non tinted LT1s for around 80. Any input on this would be appreciated.
$100 difference? Tint them yourself.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep save yourself the extra hundred bucks and tint them yourself. If you mess up, then you still have $100 for another set.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

already did, the vht indented my lenses, hence the whole point of this thread
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Passenger side not so bad but its on the inner part, more noticeable on the drivers side.

They were looking real good until this weekend. I dunno why its eating away at the plastic. I used 1000 grit on the lense, vht, clear, 2000 wetsand and compound. im at a loss and just want it done perfectly.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you tint them or paint them?

dude I'd hate to ride behind you with those taillights, I couldn't see anything.

almost looks like some kinda chemical reaction? Isn't this stuff explicitly for this purpose tho?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
Did you tint them or paint them?

dude I'd hate to ride behind you with those taillights, I couldn't see anything.

almost looks like some kinda chemical reaction? Isn't this stuff explicitly for this purpose tho?
its surprisingly easy to see the lights even in the day. but i was also thinking it was a reaction with the platics and the paint but im not sure, the only reason I would go with the 180 dollar job is that he guarantees the paint for the life. but like I said I might just go with the LT1 and the berger instead so I wouldnt even have to worry about this bull.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well,I mean best case you save some money by doing it yourself.

worst case? you buy his the 3rd time around.

I'd do it myself again, THEN if it screws up again, have someone else do it for me.

I mean they work as is right? it's not like you're getting yourself in a bind and losing taillights, so $100 saved is worth the risk imo.

could be the tails you tnited had some kind of damage in that region that was exacerbated by the tint. I know my stock tails have tiny micro cracks in that area where you have the dimples.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

well,I mean best case you save some money by doing it yourself.

worst case? you buy his the 3rd time around.

I'd do it myself again, THEN if it screws up again, have someone else do it for me.

I mean they work as is right? it's not like you're getting yourself in a bind and losing taillights, so $100 saved is worth the risk imo.

could be the tails you tnited had some kind of damage in that region that was exacerbated by the tint. I know my stock tails have tiny micro cracks in that area where you have the dimples.
true true, I mean I'm in no rush just looking for opinions for the moment until I decide to do something. Im just so particular about things (like most people on here) and its just gonna bug me until I get them off my car lol.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever consider tail light covers? I seen them before i think there made by GTS or something but they just go over your tail lights and they are already tinted.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xFormulax
Did you ever consider tail light covers? I seen them before i think there made by GTS or something but they just go over your tail lights and they are already tinted.
the only thing I have heard about covers is that they also melt the lenses due to excess heat buildup. Im not much of a fan of covers either. just seems tacky
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
the only thing I have heard about covers is that they also melt the lenses due to excess heat buildup. Im not much of a fan of covers either. just seems tacky
+1 those things are tacky as hell.

besides with the VHT if you wanted you could only tint part of it, or control how dark you want it. You get a lot more control with tinting.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 those things are tacky as hell.

besides with the VHT if you wanted you could only tint part of it, or control how dark you want it. You get a lot more control with tinting.
agreed, I do notice that I cant see **** with the reverse lights painted over. I just really like how the LT1's flow with the hatch and I would leave the reverse light clear. I think it looks sweet.

non tinted with the berger mod

tinted
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like em tinted like that with the reverse lights cleared, adds a nice contrast.

don't LT tails have a turn signal chamber and it's just a colored bulb in that area? I've only seen one LT light up close and it was broken.

an LED would take the color out of it when it's not in use and still have the safety of an amber signal.

I have the "berger mod" on my car, but my tails are stock ATM. I hesitated to go with normal LT tails cos I didn't want to make my car look older.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the ebay LED tail lights after you put a tint on them.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like em tinted like that with the reverse lights cleared, adds a nice contrast.

don't LT tails have a turn signal chamber and it's just a colored bulb in that area? I've only seen one LT light up close and it was broken.

an LED would take the color out of it when it's not in use and still have the safety of an amber signal.

I have the "berger mod" on my car, but my tails are stock ATM. I hesitated to go with normal LT tails cos I didn't want to make my car look older.
The Lts have two chambers in the red, one is the (parking/brake) and the other is the turn that only comes on with the blinker when its connected to the LS1 harness but you can wire up the parking lights and switch the regular turn signal to a dual bulb and the whole red becomes the (parking/brake/turnsignal) and the turn bulbs are regular clear.

The thread can be found here https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-lights-2.html

Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I love the ebay LED tail lights after you put a tint on them.
I like those to but I have never seen them tinted, or even on a car.

Quick Reply: Tail light suggestions?