Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Default Fluid Talk

Ok fella's, I got some unexpected free time today, so I decided i'm gonna stir the pot a little. I see all kinds of discussions on the best engine oil. Conventional vs synthetic. This weight vs that weight. This brand vs that brand. But for some reason, it seems like that same discussion doesn't exist for trans fluid anywhere near being on the same level.

So, i'm gonna throw out the question. What do you run, and why? dex 3 vs dex 6. How do you feel about additives? Is name brand stuff at 2x the cost a waste (royal purple atf, lucas atf, b&m atf, etc)?

I want to make this the most informative atf thread out there, so get out the chalkboard, and school us all!
Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use AC Delco dexron VI. Paid about $24/gallon.

I considered trying out Royal Purple or Amsoil, but with so many mixed reviews and given the considerably higher cost I decided to stick with what GM recommends for all 4l60e transmissions.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used dex/merc or dex III (they are the same) in most transmissions. In a full race transmission that is refreshed every year, I would use type F, as it is very good for clutches just hard on bushings and bearings. Some people run Hy-gard because it withstands higher temperatures, I don't like it because on cold starts it is very thick causing soft shift. A big negative for street use and cold climates even in Texas. Hy-gard also leave an unknown black residue inside of torque converters and doesn't wash off even in a high temperature parts washer. As far as synthetics, unknown friction modifiers make me uneasy.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Not trying to suppress the party, but this topic comes up regularly:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...u-running.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...4l60e-use.html

IMHO, yes the "name brand" stuff is a waste of money. GM specifies exactly what properties Dexron VI must have to allow that name on the bottle. "Dexron" is a registered Trademark of GM and anyone using that name has to license it and prove to GM that it meets their spec. And you can buy GM-brand Dexron at a reasonable price.

Even though GM recommends Dexron VI, I think that most pro builders just use the cheaper Dexron III and have no problems with it.

Although both are "compatible" and could be mixed, I think most will agree that you should add whatever is already in the trans.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mrvedit, if AC Delco is the OEM for GM, would AC Delco fluid be GM branded fluid but with a different label?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
mrvedit, if AC Delco is the OEM for GM, would AC Delco fluid be GM branded fluid but with a different label?
Do I look like the AC Delco answer man?

Seriously, no idea. A local trans shop sold me a case of GM labeled Dexron VI.

Last edited by mrvedit; 01-18-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Thanks for those links. I've seen em but im sure there's others that havent.

But, from reading through them, it seems that the consensus is "just run the gm stuff" or "dex VI is good enough"

When people talk about engine oil, I sometimes fear that the gloves are gonna have to be put on to settle the argument. I just don't see the same interest for trans fluid.

I've heard people say that power steering fluid and atf are the same with a dye, and in a jam, you can interchange them. I've heard to run different hydraulic fluids. I've heard run just straight 5 weight, non detergent engine oil even.

I personally plan on running gm dex VI in all of my builds, but if somebody can convince me otherwise, or alternatively, reinforce my decision, i'm all ears!
Old 01-19-2016, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the battle of the boutiques Amsoil vs Redline vs Royal Purple and the "name brand" Valvoline vs Mobile 1 vs Penzoil and the guys who just throw whatever the cheapest thing on the shelf. Those can get heated.

Quick Reply: Fluid Talk